• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV to Premiere Pretty Cure on March 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I predict that Pretty Cure will be a complete and utter failure. Why change the names of the main characters. And don't give me that "kids will relate better to them" BS, because that's been proven false time and time again.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
I predict that Pretty Cure will be a complete and utter failure. Why change the names of the main characters. And don't give me that "kids will relate better to them" BS, because that's been proven false time and time again.

Well it worked for Viz's version of Zatch Bell which is far superior than any 4kids versions PERIOD.It also worked for sailor moon season 1 and 2 when DIC had the license in the 90's so it can work sometimes. Hopefully it'll work for preety cure as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
It didn't work for either one of those, because both got cancelled and are now pretty much forgotten.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
For the series sake and for the sake of the magical girl genre as well cause this test on preety cure MIGHT just determined if Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS & it's Movie will get licensed in the US.

I'm speechless at that comment. Are you daft?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
You're kidding right? Or maybe you like their version of CCS.

Having seen both Card Captors, and Card Captor Sakura, I can't say I'm really partial to either. And like I said, it's not like CCS didn't get an uncut release, I know because I watched CCS in Japanese from a friend who owned Geneon's sets.

jr0904 wrote:
Sure just what 4kids did for pokemon and yugioh which was preety good,Nelvana did the same for Beyblade and Bakugan which i completely enjoy,especially bakugan which is showing on the cartoon network and Beyblade on Jetix.

Bakugan is a co-production.

And Beyblade's dub quality is questionable. Since while the dub itself is still enjoyable, there were a number of questionable edits (specifically the last episode, which had a concluding clip show removed).

jr0904 wrote:
Unfortunately just like what 4kids did to One Piece and Shaman King & Tokyo Mew Mew & Magical Doreimi which made them infamous in anime histroy,the same thing with Nelvana's version of CCS. it's too difficult to trust their judgment on anime unless it involves with the series they did well with.

But unlike 4Kids, Nelvana allowed CCS to get a full uncut release.

jr0904 wrote:
Hopefully someone else should get the license for preety cure than those two.For the series sake and for the sake of the magical girl genre as well cause this test on preety cure MIGHT just determined if Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS & it's Movie will get licensed in the US.

There is no some one else, Toei's USA division is handling this property, with input from YTV.

And Pretty Cure isn't going to have any effect on Nanoha. Different shows made by different companies, licensed by different companies, with English casts from different countries.

GaryPotter wrote:

Beyblade (Takao to Tyson,etc.), Pokemon(Satoshi to Ash,etc.), Yu-Gi-Oh! (Honda to Tristan, Jonnuchi to Joey, etc.), all must have bombed huh?

While there are a tonne of Americanized bombs, there is a good amount of success in them as well.
Neoguest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
It didn't work for either one of those, because both got cancelled and are now pretty much forgotten.

Zatch Bell! had continue online on toonami Jet stream till January 20.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4