• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Southern Cross

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
It's not out of print; it was rereleased last October in a boxed set with Mospeada.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
I just got that said set for xmas/b-day, but I've yet to watch it. I'm curious myself to see how different it is from the Robotech version since I heard it was the saga in the series that got the most massive changes done to it (well, it got an entire episode consisting of cut and paste parts from Macross & Southern Cross just to make it fit in better with SDF Macross)

I'll perhaps bump it up in my cue, I just hate reading subtitles is all...
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
The big blue heading of the title should be fixed. It's "Super Dimension CAVALRY" (as in, a horseback military force) not "CALVARY" (Biblical location of Christ's crucifixion). A common typo, I'm sure.

Still have yet to read the rest of the article. I'll be reading it shortly. Love this column! Smile

EDIT: read the article. I haven't seen it subtitled, but I enjoyed the Robotech version well enough, I suppose. Macross remains my favorite (although you're right about its pacing issues).
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Jeanne was also Michie "Usagi-chan" Tomizawa's first starring role.

You mean Rei-chan. Smile Usagi/Sailor Moon is played by Kotono Mitsuishi. For Michie Tomizawa, mentioning that she was also Project A-ko's C-ko before Sailor Mars is an interesting fact as well!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Macross is overlong and has serious pacing problems -- and having seen the visually enthralling Macross: Do You Remember Love? movie edition years earlier, the original series had some trouble competing.

DYRL's got some nicer artwork, but the original show's got better action sequences.

Quote:
Genesis Climber Mospeda, despite having some really lovable and memorable characters, occasionally suffered from bouts of extreme stupidity.

More like extreme stupid moe girl who ruins the suspense. Plus the leader of the team's a dick for spoiler[leaving the hot chick].

Quote:
It's lightweight, but fun and perhaps a bit better aged than its siblings in either the Super Dimensional or the Robotech universes. It doesn't get the affection it deserves.

I'd like the series more, if the mecha didn't take forever to transform, and the girls had more interesting things to do.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yikes, I made quite a few little mistakes in this one. Thanks for the corrections, guys. Honestly, it's hard to tell if those repacks mean the show's still in print, so I made its status a little more ambiguous in the article.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
hey boss, it's in stock over at right stuf right now.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/ut=ieP8uocQ4ekN3FH/browse/item/81000/4/0/0

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/ut=ieP8uocQ4ekN3FH/browse/item/81000/4/0/0

-Gabe

I didn't know they combined both series into a box set. I have the separate box sets released a few years ago plus the Macross artbox with all volumes of that completed recently.

Granted, not the best mecha series I've seen, but the characters are likeable and it is an enjoyable show overall.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Somewhat related, I got Mospeada for $13 bucks, only if I could do the same with Southern Cross, and something closer to that with Macross.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Glad you decided to check out the original series instead of going with Robotech. My personal favourite would be Genesis Climber Mospeada. I love the characters, the mecha and the overall story. But yeah, the series does tend to lapse into inexplicable moments of absurdity.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm...at the risk of fanboy rage, I'll say I still prefer the US version of the Macross Saga...despite all the edits and things, I still enjoy it, but that may be mostly the nostalgia speaking. Never cared for Masters or New Generation much. Again, my main thing is that I'm not big on reading while watching my anime, so that's the main reason I passed on the unmolested versions of these shows. Still, interesting read.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

-Gabe

I've seen that box at my Best Buy. If I recall correctly, the back of that cardboard wrapper deal says something comical on it along the lines of "Unedited! Featuring all the breasts and blood in their original glory!"
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Wait, so I don't get it. Is this in Japanese? I;ve been thinking about checking out the Macross series after how popular Frontier was, but I have no idea where to start lol.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Quote:

-Gabe

I've seen that box at my Best Buy. If I recall correctly, the back of that cardboard wrapper deal says something comical on it along the lines of "Unedited! Featuring all the breasts and blood in their original glory!"

Ah, ADV, we can count on you to always render any attempts to reverse the oldest stereotype of the anime fandom futile. Laughing
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Wait, so I don't get it. Is this in Japanese? I;ve been thinking about checking out the Macross series after how popular Frontier was, but I have no idea where to start lol.

1: Yes it is Japanese.
2: It isn't really Macross, Robotech, but not Macross.
3: Plus is probably the best place to start as it's a fairly short OVA, cheap, and probably the best Macross show. Frontier is also fine.

If you want to watch the original, you might want to try the movie first. The series is long and tends to drag a bit.

Last edited by zhir on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4