• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen TV Remake Set for 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I would take my friend's quote " I have a better chance of convincing the Japanese to include English sub or me learning Japanese than having an R1 company picking this title or any other old school style anime". Well you never know, but simply this title is not an R1 licensing material Crying or Very sad
GW-9800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Mazinkaiser OVA did make it over along with two Getter Robo OVAs.

So who knows?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Somebody here once claimed that RahXephon, amongst others, took influences from this show besides simply featuring mecha. Compared to the Gundams and Macrosses, how historically important is this work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Somebody here once claimed that RahXephon, amongst others, took influences from this show besides simply featuring mecha. Compared to the Gundams and Macrosses, how historically important is this work?

It's a fun super robot show, but to me, the time when it came out, they were a dime a dozen. I guess it's just a more memorable one over the others, but Macross and Gundam have a lot more going for them as the focus on super robots fell out.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Well if anything, Mazinger Z sat the standard for all super robot anime by defining a super robot is one with over spec power, durability, offense and defense capabilities. Not to mention the detachable cockpit, on-board & built-in weapon system instead of hand-held & mounted weapon accessories, and the characteristic rocket propelled flying punch.

So judging by the last half of my statement alone, the MSN-02 Zeong from the original Gundam is a super robot. Rolling Eyes
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
As much as I admire Imagawa's past work, it really depends on how much creative freedom he is allowed with this concept.

Mazinger Z is defined by a very basic idea, to say the least, and most of its value probably lies in its historical importance.

Something new and different needs to be done in order to set it apart, in this day and age, where just being a Super Robot isn't enough.

I'm sure an entertaining show will likely result, this isn't meant to be a masterpiece of storytelling or anything, but hopefully they aren't afraid to take a few risks in order to appeal to a wider audience.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
YAAAAYYY!!!
Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!
Another reason to make it to 2010!
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I think Rahxephon took more influence from Raideen than Mazinger Z. Though, if it hadn't been for Mazinger Z we might not have gotten Raideen Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Well if anything, Mazinger Z sat the standard for all super robot anime by defining a super robot is one with over spec power, durability, offense and defense capabilities. Not to mention the detachable cockpit, on-board & built-in weapon system instead of hand-held & mounted weapon accessories, and the characteristic rocket propelled flying punch.

So judging by the last half of my statement alone, the MSN-02 Zeong from the original Gundam is a super robot. Rolling Eyes

Every mecha show (except for a few, earlier shows like Tetsujin 28) has been influenced in one way or another by the Original Super Robot show... Go Nagai's Mazinger Z.

And we get a peek at the art shown in Figure-Oh magazine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Mazinger Z was the first giant robot to be piloted (i.e. controlled internally). Previous robots were either autonomous, or controlled externally from some sort of controller box or by voice.

dmanjdb wrote:
Speak of which... when does a sequel of GR:TDTESS is coming? (I'm not waiting for a anwser to that one)
Likely never, unfortunately. The OVAs barely got finished as it is, mainly out of the pockets of the producers over a period of nearly six years.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
There is a manga of Giant Robo called "The Day The Earth Burned" currently being serialized in Champion Red. It's written by Imagawa, and has been ongoing for about two years. There are four collections so far.
While technically not a sequel (it's more of an alt-universe GR), it does feature most of the major players. We even meet all of the Celestial Nine in the first chapter, no less! And we get to see them fight, as well.
My only comment is the story seems a bit all over the place. In one instance, a chapter ended foreshadowing a major battle, and the next chapter was devoted entirely to Ginrei hentai instead of the battle. But the battles are GREAT when they take place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Robo:_The_Day_the_Earth_Burned
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Just the look at the magazine scan brings a smile on my face. My future children shall see Mazinger Z banish evil once more!

Castle of black iron, to the sky, heaven above~~
Super Robot Go! Mazinger Z Go~~
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Just the look at the magazine scan brings a smile on my face. My future children shall see Mazinger Z banish evil once more!

Castle of black iron, to the sky, heaven above~~
Super Robot Go! Mazinger Z Go~~

Here's another promo piece... translation of the notes for the Spanish Impared + comments from me

1-Upper Left: Zeus from the Z-Mazinger manga
2-Upper Right Count Blocken's Air Fortress Gore Dropping a sphere (apparently a Kikaiju)
3-Under the sphere: Hover Pilder in it's traditional red color
4-Center Right: the Mazinger Army (Million Alpha, Baion Beta y Daion Gamma, they appear in the MazinKaiser VS Dark General of Darkness ova) flying toward Gore
5-Besides the Mazinger Army: Afrodite A (Manga Version)
6-Bottom: the remnants of Garada K-7 and Doublas M2 (Traditional Mazinger Z Kikaiju)
7-Mazinger Z (Manga Version) with the Z Mazinger Jet Scrander
8-Apparently Zeus' Flying Punch

This looks awesome!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
8-Apparently Zeus' Flying Punch
I think that is Z(eus) Mazinger himself. As I recall, one of Z Mazinger's finisher is transforming himself into a single rocket punch. But I could be wrong.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Maybe it kind of like the Giant Robo remake, that it not exactly a remake of Giant Robo but more of the best of the creator's work. This one it may be a mix of different elements of the Mazinger's universes. A little of Mazinger Z, another of Grand Mazinger, another of God Mazinger, etc...

Imagawa is a Crazy Genius.

Last edited by dmanjdb on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3