• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kunio Katō's 'La Maison en Petits Cubes' Wins Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Not only that, but even those that do make themselves eligible by playing in LA often do so by having an incredibly limited screening, to the point where next to no one gets the chance to see them. It's rather difficult for the Academy to nominate a film whose existence they're barely aware of. I'd put the blame squarely on the domestic distributors, but I realize that, unless you're Disney pushing Ghibli, putting on the sort of widespread release that's necessary for mainstream exposure is about as cost-ineffective as it gets.

Oh, right. And I forget who said it, but in the Oscar coverage today, someone said about $200 million total was spent on the Oscar campaigns this year. No non-studio anime film is going to spend the probably minimum $100,000 to just do a bit of advertising and send copies of the film to all the members. Much less the $1 million that might be necsessary.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I'm not saying every DBZ movie and 80's OVA should stand a chance but stuff like Paprika, Perfect Blue, All of those non nominated Miyazaki movies, 5cm Per Second.
Stuff like that. Movies that you would recommend on the basis that they are good movies and not just good anime.

I haven't seen 5cm Per Second yet (my extreme disappointment with Place Promised makes me hesitant), nor have I seen any of the eligible anime movies this year to judge whether they were as good as Kung-fu Panda or Bolt, much less Wall-E (a very good film, people just hyped it up too much to me). Just because something's a kid's movie doesn't make it bad. Pixar has done its best to work within the kid's movie ghetto to which animation has been consigned in this country, making stuff that's enjoyable for adults as well.

But yeah, Paprika should have gotten a nomination. Maybe it wouldn't have won (I thought it was weaker than other Satoshi Kon films, like Millennium Actress), but one wishes it had gotten a nomination.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Yeah I feel like I need to see Departures and La Maison en Petits Cubes now.
I bet we could argue all day though about how many anime films could beat the pants off of Pixar if they were given the respect they deserve but it doesn't work that way. If it did we could be looking at an Eva 2.0 nomination if it reaches the greatness of the part of the show it's adapting.

What disappoints me, just a personal opinion, is the predominance of 3D CG. Frankly, Wall-E was the only one that impressed me at on a technical level. The others looked pretty low quality. I'm happy that La Maison en Petits Cubes won, because it is more classic animation.

I'm right there with you. When I saw the nominees, my thought was, "Hm. An awful lot of CG in here." I guess I was expecting more of the shorts to still be using hand drawn styles.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm right there with you. When I saw the nominees, my thought was, "Hm. An awful lot of CG in here." I guess I was expecting more of the shorts to still be using hand drawn styles.

yes! and America used to do such great non-CG animation! Now you just have everyone trying to live up to Pixar by copying them...

This getting totally off topic again, sorry. Has anyone seen Departures yet? I know it hasn't had an American run, have anyone from elsewhere had the opportunity to watch it?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to have a look at Departures after this.I'll probably get at least a DVD release now

Oh and Ryoko Hirosue looked very pretty on the red carpet.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
On the Saturday, February 21, 2009 edition of the Los Angeles local weekly television show Japan News Magazine, regular host Saki Miata* mentioned Kunio Kato's "La Maison en Petits Cubes" ("Tsumiki no Ie") nomination in the Best Animated Short Film category and Yojiro Takita's "Departures" ("Okuribito") nomination in the Best Foreign Language Film category of the 2009 Academy Awards.

This heightened my interest in how these two films would fare. I thought both had a chance of winning.

I plan to watch the Saturday, February 28, 2009 edition of Japan News Magazine to see their report on two Japanese films - one animated and one live action - each winning an Oscar this year.

*A native of Hiroshima, Japan, Saki Miata played the live action commercial lady in the Chinpokomon episode of South Park. She is also working with Stan Lee in his manga and anime endeavors in Japan, which she disclosed in her interview with him on a Japan News Magazine show last year.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Yeah, that really surprised me. Pretty sure it's the first year the shorts were 3D, certainly all but one. The technology is affordable now, though it's still a lot of work. I just wonder if they are moving to 3D because the features have all gone in that direction.

Just not a fan, though there are some I like, particularly this one: Ex-ET
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
"Maison" is a feminine noun, so it's "La".

EDIT: Screencap:

Thanks a lot.

jqsilver wrote:
I can't find this film in the encyclopedia. I really loved it.

Done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
My skepticism that any non-Ghibli anime could be nominated for Best Animated Feature in the near future notwithstanding, one of the things that most non-Disney distributors seem to do wrong is in usually having one or two poorly-attended eligibility screenings in late December and then giving the film the usual limited release some time the following year.

Since the Academy gives a one calendar year extension to foreign films to be released in Los Angeles, it would seem to me that the more logical thing to do would be to have the limited release first, so that some mainstream critics could see the films, and then do the minimal Oscar campaigning at the end of that year, so that, if they are indeed worthy, they'd have at least a modicum of critical praise.

I doubt it would have been nominated anyhow, but Paprika could have qualified for 2007 had it not had a single-screen release in L.A. at the end of 2006.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Two Japanese works wining an Oscar is awesome indeed. Not quite as awesome as Slumdog Millionaire taking 8 out of a possible 9 Oscars, but still pretty darn close at that.

I'm gonna have to watch La Maison en Petits Cubes when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Two Japanese works wining an Oscar is awesome indeed. Not quite as awesome as Slumdog Millionaire taking 8 out of a possible 9 Oscars, but still pretty darn close at that.

I'm gonna have to watch La Maison en Petits Cubes when I get the chance.

Sorry to be off topic, but Slumdog Millionaire's success made this one of the best Oscar shows in a long time, besides the great new format for acting awards (5 previous winners presenting), and plus Penelope Cruz and Kate Winslet!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
So...... because La Maison won, anime fans wanna watch it now, when before pretty much only animation fans have even heard of it? What does that say about anime fans? Too bad for Mt. Head then. At least it's better than nothing. Neutral

pparker wrote:
The problem for anime films is:

"The award is only given if there are at least eight animated feature films (with a theatrical release in Los Angeles). "

Since it's a U.S. award, not foreign, the film has to play in LA theaters. Unless a major studio licenses it, that's unlikely. The licensee has to consider whether or not the investment--possibly even having to pay for play ("renting the theater")--will give them any chance at being nominated.

Sky Crawlers was able to play in a little L.A. theater for a week to be eligible for nomination.

But yeah, a film pretty much needs a good push from the fans, from critic circles, and from the studio to have a good chance of nomination.

I agree that Wall-E deserved the award. It was a good movie and had a theme familiar to many anime fans.....Robot love Wink

Oops, lemme just say about this again: Wink
Quote:
But here's my list of why WALL-E should be a hit in Japan: Laughing

1. It's about robots.

2. It's about robots in love.

3. WALL-E is a weak nothing-going-for-him sweet romantic packrat geek;
EVE is a dominant goddess-powered never-propositioned kinda-tsundere.

4. There's hardly any dialogue to lose in translation
particularly in the first act, ~1/3rd of the movie.

5. WALL-E already mispronounces EVE's name as EV-uh.

6. The two protagonists just keep saying their names.
(Have you noticed that Japanese charas say names way too often?)

7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki blush.

8. A social criticism about the hazards of over-reliance in technology.

But wasn't there a theatrical release of Ponyo planned for when it comes out here? If that's the case then odds are it will get a nomination especially if Pixar and Dreamworks aren't so busy. Then again Disney does have a new princess movie coming out this year right?

The Princess and the Frog around Xmas holidays. But even that won't be the first time Disney would support 2 Best Animation nominees: when Spirited Away won in 2003, it beat out a good Lilo and Stitch.

pparker wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Yeah, that really surprised me. Pretty sure it's the first year the shorts were 3D, certainly all but one. The technology is affordable now, though it's still a lot of work. I just wonder if they are moving to 3D because the features have all gone in that direction.

That too. After all, many of the animators who make these shorts also want to step up on the animation industry ladder. These shorts are like their resume.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
As someone who has posted about Japanese independent animators like Koji Yamamura and Kunio Kato on these forums and elsewhere, the latter's Academy Award for the Best Animated Short Film this year is awesome.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but 'La Maison en Petits Cubes' won the animation award at the Japan Media Arts Awards this year. I had the privilege to see this at the Tokyo National Arts Centre two weeks ago, it's a sad, nostalgic, wistful little film. I also got to see Algol, the encouragement award winner- well, tried to, I kept falling asleep during it.*

* well, I had just visited the Washinomiya Shrine in Saitama that morning, it was a busy day...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Man I guess I'll go have to check it out sooner for both of these films when they come out in DVD this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6