• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kunio Katō's 'La Maison en Petits Cubes' Wins Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
These DVD are interesting and I guess I'll be have to check out both of the films when coming out on DVD this year.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
His speech was hilarious. I applauded.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
His speech was hilarious. I applauded.

Bob and Tom were making fun of Kato's acceptance speech this morning on the radio. Thankfully Tom repeatedly came to his defense pointing out that he probably said "Thank you all my staff" not "stuff", and that by virtue of working in creative media he probably knew perfectly well who Styx is and that he wasn't being fed that line by an awards show staffer. Rolling Eyes
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
GATSU wrote:
vash: I thought Wall-E was their weakest effort myself. Rolling Eyes

Keep it on topic.

Speaking of keeping things on topic. What was the point of mentioning the 'Departures' win? I thought this was an anime site.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
maybe you guys might want to point out that there are some who consider Kato's speech as the best because of the charming cross-cultural joke he managed:

"Domou arigatou, Mr. Roboto."

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto was made a popular phrase here in the US after being a hit song from the group Styx in 1983.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1502995/2009_oscar_highlights_include_kunio.html
http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/22/the-best-oscar-speech-ever/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-blankenship/top-five-moments-from-an_b_169035.html
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Firstly, I want to register my dissapointment that Waltz with Bashir, the first animated documentary film, did not win an Oscar. Frankly, it would've been nice if it were given a chance in the "Best Documentaries" catogory, or even "Best Animated Feature", if only to stress the point that animation can be used inovatively to depict nonfiction (and very heavy) subjects. (Also, it was adapted into a graphic novel, which is awesome!)

Anyway, I'm very happy for the winners. "La Maison" sounds especially cool because it was a French/Japanese collaboration (correct me if I'm wrong). Go intertnational animation cooperation!

"Departures" must be good if it won over "Bashir,"...I want to watch it.

I wish I could've seen the show (no tv), but I want to catch a clip of Kato's acceptance speach somewhere.

Personally, my favorite Oscar (sorry, "Moscar") acceptance speech ever was the fictional one portrayed on the manga Honey & Clover, LOL!

One last point, I was under the impression that Viz had "Ponyo," not Disney, which means it might not stand a chance Sad
Case

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the phrase is probably an in-joke among the production crew. They're Japanese, working on an international production for a studio called Robot. I imagine the pop-culture reference would be hard to escape.

FWIW, Examiner.com gives the text of Kato's acceptance speech as follows. It looks like the word was "producer" not "pencil" Razz:

Kunio Kato wrote:
So heavy. Thank you very much. Thank you, my supporters. Thank you, all my staff. Thank you, my producer. Thank you, Academy. Thank you, animation. Thank you my company, Robot. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto. Thank you very much.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Firstly, I want to register my dissapointment that Waltz with Bashir, the first animated documentary film, did not win an Oscar. Frankly, it would've been nice if it were given a chance in the "Best Documentaries" catogory, or even "Best Animated Feature", if only to stress the point that animation can be used inovatively to depict nonfiction (and very heavy) subjects. (Also, it was adapted into a graphic novel, which is awesome!)

Waltz with Bashir wasn't a documentary; it was a fictionalized account of real events, a historical drama, so it couldn't have won for Best Documentary. I do agree that it makes no sense that it didn't also get a nod in Best Animated Feature, but that's the Academy for you, I guess.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I wish I could've seen the show (no tv), but I want to catch a clip of Kato's acceptance speach somewhere.

there's one in the TMZ link i gave above Smile

Case wrote:
It looks like the word was "producer" not "pencil" Razz:

okay, so it went from "pencil" to "parents" (someone tried to correct me a few pages back) and now, "producers" Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So...... because La Maison won, anime fans wanna watch it now, when before pretty much only animation fans have even heard of it? What does that say about anime fans? Too bad for Mt. Head then. At least it's better than nothing. Neutral

It says that they're not much different from anyone else that watches movies. Many haven't seen the winner, but now they'd like to know what the hub-bub is about. It happens all the time with any category.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Personally, I would completely disagree with, I think very few anime would have stood a chance on level ground. To each their own though.

Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean by "level ground"? What grounds do you appraise animation or film on?

I'd like to know from one animation and film fan to another. I hope that's not too far off topic. One of the nice things about a message board such as this is that it brings together a diverse group of fans with differing opinions and opens them to interesting new conversations.

I'm very glad that Kato's short film is getting more attention. Hopefully this will lead more people to discover his work and the work of other great animators including those that operate outside of the mainstream.

If you are interested in Kato, you can visit his personal website here:
http://kiteretsu.robot.co.jp/kunio/index.html

I also highly recommend this dvd which collects his short films entitled the Diary of Tortov Roddle, a very gentle and sweet series of surreal short films:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/或る旅人の日記/1003859033-0-0-0-ja/info.html
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:

"Domou arigatou, Mr. Roboto."

The most memorable thing for me from the event when he said that. >D I also liked all his attempted "thank yous". If I was in his situation, I'd definitely be doing the same thing.

Last edited by Unknown Memory on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Highway Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Kato's before he won the award, I'm over the moon that he's getting the recognition he deserves. Le Maison en Petit Cubes is a masterpiece.
I've yet to see his speech, but I'll watch it sometime tonight.
It seems like most people are going to remember his speech more than the film though, uh. Rolling Eyes
I'm glad Pixar's short didn't win though, they have enough recognition as it is. Why are their shorts even featured in that category anyway? I always saw the Best Short Animated film award as a way of bringing independant films to the spotlight, rather than praise those who're already an established name in the industry.

Also, not many people know this, but Paprika's theme song (The Girl In Byakkoya) was listed as a possible nominee for Best Song Award a year or so ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
The most memorable thing for me from the event when he said that. >D I also liked all this attempted "thank yous". If I was in his situation, I'd definitely be doing the same thing.

you should see the ridiculous flak he's getting at the TMZ site for speaking "horrible english". they sure are making fun of him there just cos they want this foreigner to learn their language first, sheesh. idiots have no idea.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

One last point, I was under the impression that Viz had "Ponyo," not Disney, which means it might not stand a chance Sad

Why do you have that impression? Disney has released the Ghibli films in the West ever since the Tokuma-Disney deal in 1997.

Dernhelm wrote:

Case wrote:
It looks like the word was "producer" not "pencil" Razz:

okay, so it went from "pencil" to "parents" (someone tried to correct me a few pages back) and now, "producers" Laughing

That's also the official quote from the Oscars website. Laughing
(I'd use a direct URL link, but this version of phpBB craps out on URLs with parenthesis within, and the Oscars link is long, but an indirect Tiny URL link is not accepted.)

Greed1914 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
So...... because La Maison won, anime fans wanna watch it now, when before pretty much only animation fans have even heard of it? What does that say about anime fans? Too bad for Mt. Head then. At least it's better than nothing. Neutral

It says that they're not much different from anyone else that watches movies. Many haven't seen the winner, but now they'd like to know what the hub-bub is about. It happens all the time with any category.

Fine, so let anime fans not complain when regular moviegoers bandwagon on their turf. But that still reflects badly that animation fans out-anime anime fans on their own turf (i.e. it's the anime fans bandwagonning on anime, instead of the other way around, animation fans bandwagonning on anime that anime fans already know). Very Happy

Highway Star wrote:

I'm glad Pixar's short didn't win though, they have enough recognition as it is. Why are their shorts even featured in that category anyway? I always saw the Best Short Animated film award as a way of bringing independant films to the spotlight, rather than praise those who're already an established name in the industry.

It's "Best" as in "Best with no restrictions to any film that qualifies" category. Besides, the Pixar shorts are made by Pixar "director-neophyte" animators who are given the chance to see what they can do, so they're not that well-known neither (save for the difference that they have an industry machine at their disposal).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6