• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kunio Katō's 'La Maison en Petits Cubes' Wins Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
vash: Bashir lost, because Rotoscoping isn't considered animation by certain elitists.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, here was a short Kunio Kato interview from an animation magazine.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oh yeah, here was a short Kunio Kato interview from an animation magazine.

I still don't mind him thanking his pencil at all. That is probably one of the best quotes I've heard from an animator in a long time. Cool

The film itself reminded me of a few similar films that told life stories with heart. Want to link a few here but they're pretty non-anime related in the least, but here goes...

Crac! (Frederic Back, 1981)
Anna & Bella (Borge Ring, 1984)
Father and Daughter (Michael Dudok de Wit, 2000)

Course these films had won Oscars too. Smile

Often it's been said that a rule of thumb for animated shorts in the Academy Awards is that very often the funny film or one that people may have emotional attachments to tend to be the favorites over the more artistic/experimental approaches to the medium.
Blarghhh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
pparker wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow, Japan is representing tonight: they just got Best Foreign Film, too!

You beat me to it. Wink They rarely get recognized, so this is cool. (Won for Departures)

Yeah, it's the 12th nomination but only first win, which surprised me, I thought for certain Kurosawa had won at some point in the past.
http://oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/?pn=detail&nominee=Departures%20-%20Foreign%20Language%20Nominee
He won one for Dersu Uzala but that was a Soviet produced film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, to whoever "corrected" me, I don't know anyone who wouldn't prefer Tokikake over Wall-E. Hell, they're already arguing that Kon's stuff should've been nominated, which means they weren't that impressed with Cars or Nemo. And if my arguments against contemporary American cinema don't have any validity, why is this year's Best Picture winner a Brit/Indian co-production?
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

YES. Kato's directing sensibilities remind me quite a lot of Michael Dudok de Wit, almost to the point where La Maison en Petits Cubes feels like a companion piece to Father and Daughter.

I'm very glad this film got the nod--not only because it absolutely deserved it, but also because it just may tune some anime fans into the world of independent animation, a vast and diverse medium filled with many hidden gems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anyway, to whoever "corrected" me, I don't know anyone who wouldn't prefer Tokikake over Wall-E. Hell, they're already arguing that Kon's stuff should've been nominated, which means they weren't that impressed with Cars or Nemo. And if my arguments against contemporary American cinema don't have any validity, why is this year's Best Picture winner a Brit/Indian co-production?

Well then you don't know many people. Judging by your bias, I wouldn't be surprised if the only people know are as out of balance in their perception of the world as you are.

Why did a Bollywood film win? Because it was the best film of 2008 according the academy? Just because not everyone buys in to your idea of the American film industry being a cesspool doesn't mean they don't believe that film is a global medium. You seem to have problems comprehending even the slightest idea of being objective. Your ridiculously extreme viewpoints are easy to disagree with, but that doesn't mean that the people automatically latch on to the opposite extreme as you seem to assume. Believe it or not GATSU, unlike you, many of us are capable of logical and open-minded thought.

Now, this is your last warning. These threads aren't your soapbox to go about your anti-US industry crusade, and I'm really getting tired of you jumping in to any thread where said industry is even mentioned so you can hijack it and turn it in to such. I'm not going to say it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raz_G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
vash: Bashir lost, because Rotoscoping isn't considered animation by certain elitists.

At the risk of repeating myself: no rotoscoping was used in Bashir. None.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39829

(I'm obviosly sad that my home-team didn't win anything this year, but also glad that Japan won in two categories - one for animation).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
GATSU wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself: no rotoscoping was used in Bashir. None.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39829

And so Ari Folman doesn't like rotoscoping neither. Laughing
Raz_G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Next year, Ponyo will almost certainly be nominated, but I wouldn't expect to see any more anime in the Best Animated Feature category after that until Hayao Miyazaki makes another film due to total lack of mainstream exposure of non-Miyazaki anime films, and that's not going to change in the near future.

I wouldn't be sure about either. If there's going to be a five-nominees category (for the first time in six or seven years...) then yes, Ponyo would probably get nominated. Otherwise, it has a chance for the "artistic" slot in a three-nominees category (there's no question about Pixar getting nominated, and I expect another slot to be taken by Disney's Frog-Princess movie), but it's going to be a tough competition. At least two other films released this year - "Coraline" and "9" - are aiming for the more artistic direction. I have seen Ponyo, and it's a very nice film, but it might be treated as a less serious effort compared to the other two.

I wouldn't be sure about non-Miyazaki films having no chance either. Let's remember that "Millennium Actress" was distributed by Dreamworks, while "Tokyo Godfathers" and "Paprika" were distributed by Sony, and these are both big Hollywood studios. Dreamworks just didn't put enough (maybe any?) work into promoting Millennium actress for nomination, and Sony just made any mistake possible with distributing and nominating their anime releases (and foreign animation in general - they barely got "Persepolis" nominated last year, with all its hype). Hopefully, Sony will learn from their mistakes - hey, Satoshi Kon does have a new film coming in two or three years, and it's supposed to be a more family-friendly affair, so maybe we'll see a non-Miyazaki film nominated in Miyazaki's lifetime Very Happy
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
maybe you guys might want to point out that there are some who consider Kato's speech as the best because of the charming cross-cultural joke he managed:

"Domou arigatou, Mr. Roboto."

Bilingual bonus! Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Raz: Then maybe it falls under the "animation is just for kids" mentality of that organization.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, ok, then Bashir lost because the Academy still thinks animation is for children. Persepolis is about as mature as they'll get right now; and that's still the equivalent of the "Young Adult" section at the library.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

YES. Kato's directing sensibilities remind me quite a lot of Michael Dudok de Wit, almost to the point where La Maison en Petits Cubes feels like a companion piece to Father and Daughter.

Many have stated that I've noticed too.

One though suggested the Valse Triste sequence from Italian animator Bruno Bozzetto's send-up to Fantasia called "Allegro non Troppo", where a cat walks through the bombed out section of a building he once called home. In my comparison to "Anna & Bella", I felt the theme for La Maison is one of looking back at one's past, and it's a theme I tend to favor seeing personally.

Quote:
I'm very glad this film got the nod--not only because it absolutely deserved it, but also because it just may tune some anime fans into the world of independent animation, a vast and diverse medium filled with many hidden gems.

I hope so too, since that's how I first got into it thanks to pay TV channels like Showtime in the 80's. I ended up finding a lot of those 'filler' gems at the library on expensive tapes a decade later. You become WAY too familiar with the people who made these I feel, and I'm not just talking about the Spike & Mike variety either. There's a lot of creative films out there that don't always get a break in the mainstream quite as often, usually because there's no real commercial value in them outside the art end of the spectrum.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
BTW, Astro Boy would be up for a nom, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6