• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clanning Up

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
I dig the Queen Emeraldas wall scroll, can't say the same about the anime.
Grico

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Clannad was quite enjoyable and riveting, ADV better solicit the next half soon the wait will kill me.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Your collection is amazing. *Is jealous* Smile
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
We have that same wallscroll in our basement. Also, huzzah for the Utena boxes.
And Bamboo, you're not the only girl who watches shows like Kanon and Air. I was hopelessly addicted to Kanon, and pretty much cried from the end of episode 9 right through episode 10. Needless to say, Clannad is on it's way in the mail as we speak.
Unfortunately I couldn't say the same for Shuffle! That show caused a lot of angry yelling, and zero tears.

Last edited by Quark on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Having so many DVD's that there isn't room for the cases sounds amazing! Personally, I'd probably get a bigger place to make room, but that's just me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
That's a funny comment about the girls of Clannad, because I'd think if anyone was a "pet", it would be Sunohara who is basically the human punching bag for Tomoyo and favorite book target for Kyou.

Clannad was rather underwhelming. I much prefer Air, and I'd slightly prefer Kanon '06. However, After Story thus far is wonderful. I can't wait for it to also be licensed.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's a funny comment about the girls of Clannad, because I'd think if anyone was a "pet", it would be Sunohara who is basically the human punching bag for Tomoyo and favorite book target for Kyou.

Clannad was rather underwhelming. I much prefer Air, and I'd slightly prefer Kanon '06. However, After Story thus far is wonderful. I can't wait for it to also be licensed.

That is kind of interesting. Of the bunch, I personally prefer Clannad and Kanon '06. I thought air was a bit over-the-top at times even by the standards of the genre. I thought some of the character design was a tad weaker, but that is purely subjective. To me After Story is a lot weaker than all of the other three. Hoping it gets better as I watch.

No dub for Clannad? I assume they won't release a dub later a la Gurren Lagann? This is disappointing. It won't stop me from buying and enjoying it, but I was looking forward to hearing a dub since I first saw Clannad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fine, but seriously, guys. These movies are destroying America.

So I take it you're not a Sex and The City fan? Wink
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
I picked up the second half of Ouran last week myself. I also was incredibly disappointed by the ending...because it was over! So sad. I really wanted more. Particularly more Kyoya, please!

Clannad is very sweet and cute. Kanon (the original, not the remake) is still my favorite of the bunch, I think. Though it's been a long time since I've seen it. Clannad is still good; mostly because I found Kotomi (the book worm girl) to be the cutest most darling thing I'd seen in a while.

The Wallflower...I wasn't real impressed with. I enjoyed it, and I found it funny, but it's not something I would bother watching multiple times. Once was quite enough. It was entertaining, but not very endearing. And I was actually kind of annoyed that Sunako spends 95% of the show in her tiny form, especially since her full character design is amazing. I understood the meaning behind it, but it just got old and tiring after a while.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dear God, can we please stop having movies with these idiotic female characters? Can we please stop having movies where the only purpose in these women's lives is to get married? Can we please not have movies where this oh-so-quirky girl can't manage her finances to save her life? Yeah, yeah, “if you don't like it, don't watch it!” Fine, but seriously, guys. These movies are destroying America.

It was a backroom deal -- women got stuck with this stereotype. Men got the "blithering idiot who sucks the life out of his family with inherent stupidity and man-child antics" stereotype of TV sitcoms.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'm sorry, I'm never really picky about things you put in your reviews, but for the sake of those who've been wanting to get into clannad, remove the mild spoiler concerning Fuko please.

Other than that, I get the gripe but really... with series like these, you gotta put up with what seems like idiotic material. It evolves and the characters grow, Fuko's behavior being the lone exception.

You get past the basics and get to the meaty developed center. It's second season is probably in one of the more 'mature' settings I've seen an anime be in for a long time, so much that the casual 'harem' fans dropped out midway through the first ten episodes.

Some may attempt to call me out on it but based purely on the whole material that comes about later on in this show, I'd say the content in terms of the level of 'adulthood' presented in Clannad is easily comparable with Honey & Clover. And like I said, though it takes OVER a full season to get through it, the post basics content of the show is probably the best that it's been at. Anyone who's made it past episode 12-14 of the second season can vouch quite well for it and the show easily has become one of the most heart wrenching dramas I've watched in a long time.

It lacks the pain that came with Air and has a deeper plot in comparison to Kanon and... Well, there is payoff to be had in the end.

Still, being your review is purely from a fresh viewer standpoint, it's a pretty accurate one. As you said, most non-harem/moe(god I hate that word)/drama/Key fans need not apply.

vtnwesley wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

That is kind of interesting. Of the bunch, I personally prefer Clannad and Kanon '06. I thought air was a bit over-the-top at times even by the standards of the genre. I thought some of the character design was a tad weaker, but that is purely subjective. To me After Story is a lot weaker than all of the other three. Hoping it gets better as I watch.

No dub for Clannad? I assume they won't release a dub later a la Gurren Lagann? This is disappointing. It won't stop me from buying and enjoying it, but I was looking forward to hearing a dub since I first saw Clannad.

Presumably, it has to do with finances and whatnot. Mad

I would've loved to see it dubbed and maybe my favvy VA Hilary Haag might have finally gotten the role in a Key title she deserved long ago (Since, ya know, she would've made the perfect Misuzu...) but one can have their dream teams...

Personally though, Air has always been at the top for me. While I appreciate the plot that's been developing for Clannad, nothing has and will never again hit me as hard and dramatically as Air did.

Much like how The Mist was one of my favorite films I saw in 2008 due to all the emotion it evoked from me (genuine fear, discomfort and mind blowing shock from the ending), Air was one of the best shows I watched in 2005 because of how it managed to cram such a clearly deep story into a mere 12 episode series. All the trials everyone goes through and it's one big sacrifice for the sake of a better future, it's an extremely bittersweet ending, emphasis on the bitter.

Last edited by Kyogissun on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
It wasn't really a spoiler but rather wrong information.

After all spoiler[We know that Fuuko was only in a coma when she shows up to invite everyone to her big sister's wedding.]
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
I've vastly preferred Clannad to Kanon and Air myself (I liked them still, but they don't really come close in my mind). It was more to my tastes generally than the others and I ended up liking a lot of the characters and the comedy. It's one that took a little while to grow on me, and I think I wasn't really into the show at first until into the second half of the first series. The most recent episodes of Clannad After Story just put it on a whole new level, though. This series just has so many amazing moments, and watching through the early bits again with ADV's release was fun (so maybe it will have rewatch value for me too).
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for clanands release and was abit upset at the choice of not including a dub, Subs are my first online watch, and dubs are my at home one, but oh well I hope to buy clannad soon to share it with the ones I love and make them cry.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear Ouran and Wallflower are getting t3h luv. They deserve it imho.

Anyway, I was very impressed by Ms. Tamisan's collection, especially her DVDs - a far more financially draining devotion than manga/comics or other such memorabilia, so I wholeheartedly applaud your passion for your fandom. And you're tremendously lucky to be able to share that fandom with your sweetheart.

Hmm... me thinks I ought to re-submit my manga collection once I hit the 300 vols. mark. Shouldn't take more than 6 months or so (really gotta get a job). Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16