• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime in the Running for Annies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
It's nice to know GITS 2 has a better chance at winning something than Millennium Actress. And Yoko Kanno's a shoe-in. Maybe even Kenji Kawai...
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
wow, most of the nominees suck. i can't believe this is the elite. Yoko Kanno damn well better win, cause everything in that category is crap. if she gets robbed, there will be many pissed off otakus.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
Eh, I don't think it stands a chance next to The Incredibles, to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:06 am Reply with quote
As a former member of ASIFA-East I happy that there is a wide range of Animated talent. Rockfish was nominated for a SIGGRAPH award (3-D animation and technology festival).

I don't think all animation is crap. Though there are some anime title that I think would hold that title. Some of the Animated Series done by CN and Nick look rather simple compared to Anime. I think they hold their own in terms of style and story.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WoQuiNonCoin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:48 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I wasn't much fond of Kanno's work with Wolf's Rain. While I am rooting for her tremendously because I think she is one of the greatest composers and musically otherwise of all time, I doubt that she will win, compared to some of the mainstream stuff...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
heyyu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote
The annies is just an excuse to pander and give out awards for mainstream American cartoons... you know, the CN and Nick kiddy shows. Heck, it's not even the good mainstream stuff, but the crappy kiddy shows. Sometimes they throw in an anime title to humour the anime fans, but really, the whole thing is a joke.
KarriaChinoRyu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
I, without a doubt, believe that Yoko Kanno should win for her work on Wolf's Rain's music. It's gorgeous and I'm listening to it practically all the time.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
In my opinion Wolf's Rain has some of her best stuff yet. It's my fave soundtrack out of all her stuff, and I can listen to it non-stop. I hope she wins, because animation usually doesn't get the high quality compositions that Kanno gives her works, and she blows all the other competitors out of the water. Heck, the others are pretty much kid shows that has the music created for it in what, a week?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Duck Dodgers is getting some recognition. It's actually quite amusing sometimes and the music is decent.

I think the one big surprise to me is there's no mention of the Chamber of Fear commercials. I wonder if it showed up past a deadline because there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't win *something*
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's so depressing to know that "Shrek 2" or "the Incredibles" movie will most likely win. I really hope GITS does though, even though it's unlikely. I am thrilled about Yoko Kanno though!!! Her work on Wolf's Rain is amazing, I love it, and I love that show.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
heyyu wrote:
The annies is just an excuse to pander and give out awards for mainstream American cartoons... you know, the CN and Nick kiddy shows. Heck, it's not even the good mainstream stuff, but the crappy kiddy shows. Sometimes they throw in an anime title to humour the anime fans, but really, the whole thing is a joke.

With all do respect if you got to take a look at the site. The Annie's have been around since the 1970's. June Forey (Rocky Squirel) was the one who created the award.

Most animators don't get that much respect because people think they just do Nick or CN cartoons, which have a solid story and great character designs. Anime just became really popular around 10-15 years ago. Now the mainstream is taking notice of the influence of anime, ie. PPG, Samurai Jack.

As an Animator, I'm glad someone is finally giving us animators the respect we finally deserve. Whether they are from the US, Europe, Latin America, Africa, or Asia.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyenGirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I'm glad that the Annies exist, it's nice to know that animation gets its dues, take it from Japan, it's not all for kids.

I'm also apprehensive for Yoko Kanno. In my mind there is no doubt that her work from Wolf's Rain is better than the competition. As far as if she'll win...I hope so. She's my favorite composer and I hope she gets the dues she deserves, her music is awe inspiring.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Also, Millennium Actress was nominated for four Annies so in my mind it gives Annies some credibility. I'm very happy Yoko Kanno is nominated an I hope she wins.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
noneko_Mamimi wrote:
It's so depressing to know that "Shrek 2" or "the Incredibles" movie will most likely win.

It's depressing to know that it's possible for two good movies to win an award? GitS2 is a good movie, but it's not the only good movie out there, and doesn't need any award to justify it's quality. Mind you, neither do Shrek 2 or The Incredibles. (Now, if Shark Tale won, that'd be pretty depressing.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
More good news. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=136821 says Shrek 3 won't come out until 2007, giving anime another chance to win an Oscar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3