• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Steins;Gate's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good so far, but who will be playing Feris Nyan-Nyan?!
I'm hoping for Carrie Savage, Monica Rial or Alexis Tipton...

If anyone out there is going to the Otakon panel, please ask!

(nyan)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Just keep it off TV and everything will be cool.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Why keep it off TV?

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
liked Chaos;Head but still haven't seen this one.

Please tell you are talking about the Novel and not the anime otherwise you are basicly say dragonball evolution was excellent because that is how badly the anime screwed over the visual novels.

Most people aren't playing those over here even if they do watch anime. I actually did bother to go find Steins;Gate because I was ridiculously into it, but that was a weird thing for me to do.

I've never heard anyone go so far as to compare Chaos;Head to DBE so if you can explain a little more about what specifically was done so wrong in some general terms I'd be interested.
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I thought Funimation would just go all out for this considering it's such a popular title.

Im glad they didn't go all out, which usually mewans, "Let's get Vic in on this. Wait, he doesn't fit the character? Ehh scru it, we use him in almost every other show we dub anyway. Mis-cast? Preposterous! He works in every role!"

Dear god no. The majority of the main cast being new = blu-ray purchase for me, assuming that wasn't a typo and there really is a DVD-BR combo pack in the works. First title I actually care about coming from Funi in years, definitely worth a spot on my shelf. Nothing against VIc but once you've heard his Edward, he can't do any other voice sounding any different MOST of the time :'( I'm kinda tired of him.

Also no Greg Ayres in this show = thank god, I'm Tired of Sentai overusing him in their shows, beginning to think he was their poster child like Vic Mignogna is for Funi. Only problem is Vic I'm ok with every now and again...

Greg just plain sucks O_o
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
maybe they did go "all out", just with some new people this time
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Really liking how Steins;Gate's dub is turning out. Smile
I'm so excited for this!

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Please tell you are talking about the Novel and not the anime otherwise you are basicly say dragonball evolution was excellent because that is how badly the anime screwed over the visual novels.

That is an extremely ignorant comment.
The comparison between Chaos;HEAd the game and Chaos;HEAd TV cannot even begin to compare to that Dragonball comparison you made.

As a C;H fan who played the VN first, and still immensely enjoyed the anime adaptation, I plead to any readers of this forum not to take Tanteikingdomkey's comment seriously. That is all.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
SOLD! I knew Tatum would get the role. I just seemed like something he could pull off.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
As if I needed any further evidence as to the impending 2012 apocalypse...FUNimation has decided to start producing quality dubs again.

Hoorah.

I really hope this is a good dub, anyway. It's hard to tell from the preview, but the cast list is promising at least. Executing the translated script might be tough as many people have pointed out a number of the comedic pitfalls with this show, but I'm not going to freak if they leave out a couple of nerdy 2ch and seiyuu references so long as whatever they replace them with is equally amusing and doesn't sound forced. Okabe himself is just an absorbing, hilarious character, and he's really the heart of the show; as long as Tatum does him justice (and I trust he will), I expect the English dub will come out mostly unscathed.

That aside, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about how FUNi is going to play off Rukako. I wasn't entirely settled with the show's treatment of the character in the first place, though, so I'm mostly just hoping the English dub is not more uncomfortable.
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I was excited for this already, but now it's probably going to be a day-one buy for me. J. Michael Tatum is surprisingly good in the role of Okabe judging from that trailer, and having my personal favorite dub voice actor - Trina Nishimura - voicing a character who I loved in the original run of the series is just perfect. Patrick Seitz and Christopher Sabat are well-suited for who they got, too.

Well done, Funi, you did good this time.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Really liking how Steins;Gate's dub is turning out. Smile
I'm so excited for this!

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

That is an extremely ignorant comment.
The comparison between Chaos;HEAd the game and Chaos;HEAd TV cannot even begin to compare to that Dragonball comparison you made.

As a C;H fan who played the VN first, and still immensely enjoyed the anime adaptation, I plead to any readers of this forum not to take Tanteikingdomkey's comment seriously. That is all.

that's because you read the novel first and then saw it, so you actually understood what they where trying and failed miserably to explain in the anime. yes the DBE comparison but to call the anime rushed to death would be an understament. if you hadn't read the novels before hand you would be lost. only one of the six main girls receives adequate screen time let alone side charcters. The anime doesn't guide the viewer at all- it stumbles from one mystery to another, and then another, and then another. It creates an ungainly tower of half-baked enigmas that have little explanation beyond that Takumi is a very screwed up kid who might be a very screwed up city's only hope. which moves into my next point the anime was HORRIBLY directed though you would expect that from the guy who did spider riders and video game cashin adaptations. which is ironic considering he actually kept the scene where Takumi talks about key good staff is to a production and a poor staff will kill it. by episode 8 I knew I need to read the novel because something was off with the adaptation, and episode 10 I saw a train crashing for 25 minutes. kinda like umineko's 4 arc where they start referencing stuff cut from the anime.

Before you go off calling me an idiot find out why I am saying what I am.
P.S. I have never seen any episode of dragon ball so I just assumed how bad evolution was in relation to the actual series.
A far better compassion scratch that the perfect comparison is that it trash the novels like season 1 of avatar in relation to the last airbender.
and if you want me to defend and explain that I will but anyone who has seen that movie and the actual season as well as chaos head will probably agree with me.

I plead to any readers of this forum not to take BalmungHHQ's comment seriously. That is all.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shadowninja100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, from that one minute clip the only thing I can really say is that the voices are decent so far. Most of the voices seem to fit their character fairly well, though I think Daru's voice should be a little bit deeper.

However I will say this, no matter how good a voice actors performance is I don't think anybody can top Miyano Mamoru's performace as Okabe. I'm not saying Micheal Tatum's Okabe was bad but I think that Miyano set the bar so high I'll always be a little disappointed with dubbed Okabe.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Shadowninja100 wrote:
I'm not saying Micheal Tatum's Okabe was bad but I think that Miyano set the bar so high I'll always be a little disappointed with dubbed Okabe.

I'm rarely watch anime dubbed (I do check it out though), so, my only exposure to J Michael Tatum was in Spice and Wolf (which I thought was an excellent dub). While watching the trailer, all I can think of was Okabe sounding like a crazier Kraft Lawrence.

The other thing is I think it's going to be hard for Tatum to match Miyano's crazy laugh either (you do hear him do a laugh near the end of the trailer and it sounds okay, but nothing like Miyano's).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Because preserving some seiyuu jokes is TOTALLY important in the long run, amirite?

If you consider anime an artform by any stretch of the word, what the actual creators put in the show should matter, yes.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Because preserving some seiyuu jokes is TOTALLY important in the long run, amirite?

If you consider anime an artform by any stretch of the word, what the actual creators put in the show should matter, yes.

you mean the adapter added in not the original creator right? because I thought that the original VN did not have the same cast
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

you mean the adapter added in not the original creator right? because I thought that the original VN did not have the same cast

The VN has the same voice cast as the anime. That applies to any of the science adventure games / anime, they're very good at keeping the same voice actors for anime adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6