• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Steins;Gate's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Because preserving some seiyuu jokes is TOTALLY important in the long run, amirite?

If you consider anime an artform by any stretch of the word, what the actual creators put in the show should matter, yes.

you mean the adapter added in not the original creator right? because I thought that the original VN did not have the same cast

The VN has the same voice cast as the anime. That applies to any of the science adventure games / anime, they're very good at keeping the same voice actors for anime adaptations.

ok I am not familiar with the SG VN I only read the source material when there is no adaptation or it is bad, or I just really enjoy the story. I guess it just comes down to if that/those jokes are a deal breaker for you. S;G has a good adaptation so I just watch the tv show, since it has animation.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, this is one of those shows I missed out on when it was Simulcasted on Crunchryoll in 2011 that anime fans blew their minds over. I'm not sure what made me not watch Steins;Gate at all other than that I was probably watching so many other shows, simulcasted or not that I could barely watch most of the ones I decided to watch (still haven't seen all of Tiger and Bunny yet). So I never seen the show and I'm frankly still not interested in seeing it immediately only because now having watched so much different shows at one point or another in the past few years, I've been at a burnout with anime. Other than a few current shows, I'm just going back to stuff I haven't watched in years or stuff dubbed. I know I keep hearing the show is great and whoever reads my post will likely tell me it is so and will want me to watch it. But unless you tell me what it is about what the characters want and do and learn in the show that would sound compelling (not some, "what makes this character moe or funny or what engrish jokes there are or how great the seiyuu are" or stuff like that), don't expect me to want to marathon it right now.

So no, I don't feel interested in watching this show immediately. However I am officially keeping this show on my radar after watching the dub. Not having seen the show in Japanese on Crunchyroll, I'm kind of glad I didn't see it before seeing this Funimation trailer. It's not a matter of whether I think the acting in Japanese will be any decent. I'm sure it is. I hear Kana Hanazawa is in it and Mamoru Miyano as well and I've heard them in other stuff before so I'm sure it's decent. But, I'm really, really, REALLY fed up with anime fans assuming dub actors need to be on the same level as the seiyuu or even top them or they're not any good, like the seiyuu are "legendary" or something. I've been seeing quite a bit of that, especially with people like Kana Hanazawa and I'd say screw that! Not that actors such as Kana Hanazawa, Nobuhiko Okamoto, Abe Atsushi, Jun Fukuyama, Aki Toyosaki, Yuichi Nakamura or whatever aren't any good. I really do think they are, I just don't treat them like freaking royalty. I mean all these seiyuu I mentioned all have like what, roughly 10 years of anime roles at the most?

These seiyuu are great, but the whole labelizinfg them as "special" or whatever by comparing them to the english actor counterpart for any dub that comes out really gets on my nerves. It's not that hard to appreciate actors of both audio tracks in a show or at the least appreciate what care dubs actors apply without needing to compare them all the time to whoever thei Japanese counterpart for a role is and think they have to compete with them. In fact, some actors like J Michael Tatum and Josh Grelle have said they don't wish to compare to the Japanese. So again, treating seiyuu like expectional royalty is getting annoying and for the sake of not risking myself getting sucked into that, I'm in a way glad I missed out on watching this show when I did.

Now speaking of J Michael Tatum, I wonder if the fact he got casted as the main character based on what I've seen in the trailer has anything to do with the fact he is a COLOSSAL Doctor Who nut. I really do wonder. Maybe it's due to him being talented and appropriate for the role according to whoever the voice director for the show is. Maybe it is that, but I'm sticking with the Dotor Who fan theory. I haven't seen any of Doctor Who myself yet and it might not even be similar to Steins;Gate other than Time Travel and a doctor... guy that seesm to be intrigued by it somehow. But I can't shake off the feeling that J Michael Tatum must've been super eccentric with foam coming out of his mouth when he got the part. I just... I-I just can't shake that feeling off. Laughing

Last edited by Hypeathon on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
The dub actors are going to have a tough act to follow, particularly J. Michael Tatum as Okabe. I liked what I've heard of him so far (mainly Baccano!), but good luck to him. If Spice and Wolf is still available online dubbed, maybe I should check it out and see how he handles the more emotional scenes.

Well, not that it really matters to me much personally, I've already watched the series subbed twice and am so used to the voices I'd have no reason to bother watching it dubbed anyways.

On the trailer itself... I didn't really like it much, felt kind of off to me for some reason.
rveniss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
The dub actors are going to have a tough act to follow, particularly J. Michael Tatum as Okabe. I liked what I've heard of him so far (mainly Baccano!), but good luck to him. If Spice and Wolf is still available online dubbed, maybe I should check it out and see how he handles the more emotional scenes.

J. Michael Tatum is far and away one of my favourite English voice actors. He was AMAZING in Spice and Wolf, Summer Wars, Eden of the East, and FMA: Brotherhood--which were all pretty emotional. I think he'll pull this off wonderfully.

Him, Chris Patton, David Matranga, and Crispin Freeman pretty much form my holy quadrangle of male English VAs.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
But, I'm really, really, REALLY fed up with anime fans assuming dub actors need to be on the same level as the seiyuu or even top it or they're not any good, like the saiyuu are "legendary" or something. I've been seeing quite a bit of that, especially with Kana Hanazawa and I'd say screw that! Not that these actors like Kana Hanazawa, Nobuhiko Okamoto, Abe Atsushi, Jun Fukuyama, Aki Toyosaki, Yuichi Nakamura or whatever aren't any good. I really do think they are, I just don't treat them like freaking royalty. I mean all these seiyuu I mentioned all have like what, roughly 10 years of anime roles at the most?

These seiyuu are great, but the whole labelizinfg them as "special" or whatever by comparing them to the english actor counterpart for any dub that comes out really gets on my nerves. It's not that hard to appreciate actors of both audio tracks in a show or at the least appreciate what care dubs actors apply without needing to compare them all the time to whoever thei Japanese counterpart for a role is and think they have to compete with them. In fact, some actors like J Michael Tatum and Josh Grelle have said they don't wish to compare to the Japanese. So again, treating seiyuu like expectional royalty is getting annoying and for the sake of not risking myself getting sucked into that, I'm in a way glad I missed out on watching this show when I did.

makes sense to me. voice acting is taken much more seriously in Japan than it is here. which means they have more competition and have to work harder than Funi just casting their same group in every show they do. not sure why you say they don't have to be at least as good as the seiyuu. wouldn't you want the VAing to be the BEST OF THE BEST as it can be if you watch dubs?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
voice acting is taken much more seriously in Japan than it is here. which means they have more competition

Not to mention that Japan dubs a lot of Hollywood movies, so there's more work and a chance to earn good money on it.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
makes sense to me. voice acting is taken much more seriously in Japan than it is here. which means they have more competition and have to work harder than Funi just casting their same group in every show they do. not sure why you say they don't have to be at least as good as the seiyuu. wouldn't you want the VAing to be the BEST OF THE BEST as it can be if you watch dubs?

I don't care about how serious voice acting is taken in Japan according to how fans of these seiyuu take it. It's just really petty to me to make a big deal out of that. While we're at it, I REALLY don't care about who's better at what role in terms of who can do the better laugh, catchphrase, cutesy sound or other ridiculous things like that. I will look at comparison videos on youtube out of curiosity sometimes, but I don't care to give an award to which can do the better of either performance over something. I am watching a story in the form of a TV show with characters I hope to care about and all I want to know is whoever provides the voices of those characters, regardless of language, can convince me enough (not who can convince me better) with their acting based on the way the character behaves on screen. That's all I care about, that's all I ever cared about, that's all I ever will care about. If you're going to argue in what little trivial ways voice acting is taking seriously among otaku/anime fandom, then it comes off as just trivial to me.

Also, I really rather hear for once what someone who is not at all a hardcore fan that's forces some kind of otaku logic into everything because that's what dubs are designed for. It's all about being accessible. It's not just meant for people who can't read subtitles well and especially not for people who are lazy. If I ever get Steins;Gate on DVD and I wanted to show the dub of it to someone, I'd rather hear for once what some of my relatives who are film/TV enthusiasts but know little-to-nothing about anime and see what they think of the dub instead of a bunch of anime fans who come into viewing a dub utterly biased for Japanese voices anyway. I really feel the former situation would actually be doing a dub more a service than the latter.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
RaccoonGoon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Personally, I find the whole dub vs. sub thing that our fandom often gets into to be silly and overdone. Personally, I love Steins;Gate, and having read the VN and seen the subs as many times as I have, this trailer was naturally a bit jarring for me, but you know what? That's fine. Really, spoken Japanese and English are two different creatures, and most of the time, I find that people just prefer whichever audio track they're most accustomed to.

The more I watch this trailer, the more these VAs grow on me, so I'm sure I'll like it fine, and honestly, even if the dub was bad (which it's not, not by any means), it would still be a day one preorder for me, and I'd still be happy with an official R1 release.

Thanks Funimation. Now give me a release date at Otakon so I can give you my money.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
I agree it was a bit jarring for me to, it is a little odd whenever you moved from something that you really liked in the original, but most of the time I find that even if it's quite a bit different casting it's not necessarily worse, just different.

This is ultimately why I prefer almost any show to get a dub, it adds some value that wasn't there before even if I liked the Japanese version.
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that this trailer is for Part 1?

Hopefully, the wait for the second part won't be horribly long.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Aside from the editing on the trailer being a little wonky, voice cast seems pretty solid.

Won't be judging it in comparison with the Japanese cast like a lot of people are already set on doing. They're two separate beasts so they should be judged on their own scale and not compared
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
rveniss wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

J. Michael Tatum is far and away one of my favourite English voice actors. He was AMAZING in Spice and Wolf, Summer Wars, Eden of the East, and FMA: Brotherhood--which were all pretty emotional. I think he'll pull this off wonderfully.

Him, Chris Patton, David Matranga, and Crispin Freeman pretty much form my holy quadrangle of male English VAs.

Yes ^ that! Those four are the creme of the male English VA crop, and in the order you listed them at that! Smile

J. Michael Tatum is a great VA and he will do Okabe very well! (I actually liked his Lawrence better than the Japanese dub - he handled the emotional scenes better. For an example of what I mean, simply watch the first episode when he finds Holo in the cart. Jun comes off a bit flat and matter of fact there, while JMT has a good amount of WTF in his voice. Don't get me wrong, Jun is brilliant, but JMT outdid him on that role.)

As for the other VAs: I don't know if Kurisu talked - did anybody catch her voice? If so, let me know the time-stamp.

The new girl doing Mayuri sounded great, including the "tuturu"! I wonder if that was the extent of the audition for the role: If you can do the "tuturu" right you get the part! LOL!

RaccoonGoon wrote:
Personally, I find the whole dub vs. sub thing that our fandom often gets into to be silly and overdone. Personally, I love Steins;Gate, and having read the VN and seen the subs as many times as I have, this trailer was naturally a bit jarring for me, but you know what? That's fine. Really, spoken Japanese and English are two different creatures, and most of the time, I find that people just prefer whichever audio track they're most accustomed to.

The more I watch this trailer, the more these VAs grow on me, so I'm sure I'll like it fine, and honestly, even if the dub was bad (which it's not, not by any means), it would still be a day one preorder for me, and I'd still be happy with an official R1 release.

Thanks Funimation. Now give me a release date at Otakon so I can give you my money.

I agree! The elitism of the subs only crowd is very annoying! The fact that if they had their way and there were no dubs it would likely mean the end of the industry in the US, since there would be even fewer people buying them and fewer ways to bring in new customers, doesn't seem to occur to them either. I see it as a way for people to feel superior to the unwashed masses.
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
As for the other VAs: I don't know if Kurisu talked - did anybody catch her voice? If so, let me know the time-stamp.

Yes, Kurisu talked at 1:02. She says "Wait!"
And I'm surprised that's all she got in the trailer, considering her importance in the series.
Kenpachi 91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Damn, I was really hoping it was going to be subbed only. I guess I was asking for too much. Well now I know I won't be buying it as soon as it releases. I'll wait a while and see how I feel about pricing and etc. I really don't wanna put down money on it if I'm not going to be 100% satisfied with my purchase.
(I have watched a fair share of anime dubbed people, I just can't see a dub working for this in my eyes)
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Kenpachi 91 wrote:
Damn, I was really hoping it was going to be subbed only. I guess I was asking for too much. Well now I know I won't be buying it as soon as it releases. I'll wait a while and see how I feel about pricing and etc. I really don't wanna put down money on it if I'm not going to be 100% satisfied with my purchase.
(I have watched a fair share of anime dubbed people, I just can't see a dub working for this in my eyes)

What? Not quite sure why the inclusion of a dub would be so bad, it'll still have the Japanese audio, so the dub is actually completely optional...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6