Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Restructures with Some Employee Layoffs


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GeneralArrow



Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 225
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
........Looks like Viz is even feeling the crunch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9294
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I wish print media were as cheap as it was in Japan. I don't care about the drop in paper or ink quality, I think they look nicer still.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Viz Media, Funimation, ADV, Gonzo, and sadly other companies. This really isn't looking good people, I really feel bad for the people who lost their jobs. Most of these people probably spent several years trying to get where they were until this year.

Fansubbing, illegal downloading and not purchasing the companies are not helping this, beside the bad economy. Best regards to the employees and I hope they are able to find new jobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 3099
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
i hope they dont canceled any of there manga unlike there dvds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordRedhand



Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 1472
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish print media were as cheap as it was in Japan. I don't care about the drop in paper or ink quality, I think they look nicer still.


But then it looses it's "shininess!"/sarcasm Although yeah I personally don't mind the quality of the paper and such as long as I can read/use it, I'm Cool.

Scary to see this as this was one the ones doing well, comparatively speaking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9294
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Viz Media, Funimation, ADV, Gonzo, and sadly other companies. This really isn't looking good people, I really feel bad for the people who lost their jobs. Most of these people probably spent several years trying to get where they were until this year.

Fansubbing, illegal downloading and not purchasing the companies are not helping this, beside the bad economy. Best regards to the employees and I hope they are able to find new jobs.


It's not like Viz had a lot of shows that weren't Naruto or Bleach, but I could see fans of those shows being much younger, and thus no real income besides allowances. And even then they're not likely going to buy boxsets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Emma Iveli



Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 635
Location: Hobo with internet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
My mom was one those people laid off... My family's fine for the next few months but she's trying to find a new job...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
My mom was one those people laid off... My family's fine for the next few months but she's trying to find a new job...


I am sorry to hear that. Your mother, nor anyone deserves that. Viz Media is trying their best to stay afloat in these tough times, so now people can see why illegal fansubs make me so furious. Hopefully your mother is able to find another job though.

walw6pK4Alo: If I were that age group, I'd make it possible to get more money to purchase a series I really enjoyed. If nothing else, one could always offer to pull weeds or trim grass for neighbor or something of that sort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HellKorn



Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 1669
Location: Columbus, OH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Viz Media is trying their best to stay afloat in these tough times, so now people can see why illegal fansubs make me so furious.

Do you really have to start up with this shit in an unrelated topic?

Never mind the fact that Viz is foremost a publisher, or that companies in general are having to deal with the weakening economy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative


Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 219
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Viz Media is trying their best to stay afloat in these tough times, so now people can see why illegal fansubs make me so furious.

Do you really have to start up with this shit in an unrelated topic?

Never mind the fact that Viz is foremost a publisher, or that companies in general are having to deal with the weakening economy.


I wouldn't say it's *completely* unrelated.

After all, there are plenty of people who believe that when you get your content without paying anything to the rights holders, it has at least *some* impact on their bottom line....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Josh7289



Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 1252
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
walw6pK4Alo: If I were that age group, I'd make it possible to get more money to purchase a series I really enjoyed. If nothing else, one could always offer to pull weeds or trim grass for neighbor or something of that sort.


Do you really think most kids are going to break their backs pulling weeds in the summer heat to watch a show when they could just sit inside and torrent it instead?

Of course this doesn't make exclusively watching fansubs any better, but it's just reality.


Last edited by Josh7289 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3241
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This type of news has become sadly normal nowadays. Everyone has to tighten their belts and try to ride out this downturn; hopefully, the economy will bottom out as soon as possible and start swinging back up again. It doesn't make it any easier for those who are now stuck looking for new jobs, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sdhd



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
What is the difference between our economy today and the economy when comics made its debut in America and Japan? I would like to know what the anime and manga companies are doing to keep the licensed anime and manga going. I want to feel confidence about VIZ, TokyoPop, Crunchyroll, Bandai Entertainment, ADV, FUNimation, and Rightstuf.

For anime, there are a lot of older anime that never got a release in America. Wouldn't it be logical for the anime companies to market the older anime for the audience of today. I wouldn't mind being exposed to older anime and buy them for my enjoyment. The same can be applied to manga.

Since the ecomony is in a recession, should the anime and manga companies go digital for a subscriber fees? This would exposed and allow customer to get their daily doses of manga and anime. Netcomics.com is charging $0.25 per chapter for their manga. I wouldn't mind paying a subscriber fee and buy the manga for my collection. The bottom line is I am concern about the licensed manga from VIZ. VIZ have a lot of manga that I want, and I buy manga that I like for my copy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bglassbrook



Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 1217
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
wrote:
Since the ecomony is in a recession, should the anime and manga companies go digital for a subscriber fees? This would exposed and allow customer to get their daily doses of manga and anime. Netcomics.com is charging $0.25 per chapter for their manga. I wouldn't mind paying a subscriber fee and buy the manga for my collection.

That may be fine for the rental/transient market, but it penalizes collectors by having to pay twice (and not having a physical token/backup) ... unless you could overcome the utter nightmare of gauranteed deposits against the final purchase price, wherever & whatever that may be (all while maintaining profitability of the system itself.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2515
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish print media were as cheap as it was in Japan. I don't care about the drop in paper or ink quality, I think they look nicer still.


While I can understand that, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm personally preferable to the high quality that is given to the tankoban and light novels released in the U.S.

I've heard accounts from friends who've studied in Japan about the difference in paper durability between the two countries; I'm all for helping the industry in almost any way conceivable, but I don't think the solution lies with cutting the quality of the product overall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group