• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime about adults?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Spring and Chaos - It is about Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa.
Texhnolyze
Toshokan Sensou - It's about librarians.

Toshokan Sensou works I added it. Texhnolyze is about teenagers. Isn't Spring and Chaos about cats? o_0 I've never seen it. I'm pleasantly surprised to see how long a list we managed to make! And there are things on here that I haven't seen. Awesome.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The characters in Spring and Chaos looks like cats because the cast of Kenji Miyazawa's most famous novel, Night on the Galactic Railroad, consists of cats. Spring and Chaos is an atypical biography of a real person and it's about Kenji Miyazawa's adult life, so it definitely fits.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Yomigaeru Sora - RESCUE WINGS - Follows the missions of the JASDF Search and Rescue Wing stationed at Komatsu Air Base. The characters may be fictional, but the base, the unit, and their equipment are very real.
Licensed By Royalty - A pair of secret agents, a plethora of Beatles references, and an OP performed by Billy Preston.
Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo aka Ryoko's Case Files - Adventures of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police department of special investigations and their quirky but extremely effective female superintendant.
Le Chevalier D'Eon - Murder, dark magic, and covert operations in an "alternate" France during the reign of Louis XV.

And because the concept of "adulthood" tends to vary by culture and time period, I'd also include:
Tears to Tiara - A fantasy adventure combining Celtic, Roman, and Arthurian mythos influences. Most of the cast are either adults by the "college age +" standard or are considered to be adults by their own community.
Otome Yokai Zakuro - A trio of male commisioned military officers are teamed with female half-yokai partners in order to deal with spiritual disturbances in an "alternate" Japan.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
As I'm getting back into anime after a two year hiatus, I'm really thankful for this thread.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Three pages and no one mentioned Love Hina yet? For shame......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Eh. I would say this one doesn't qualify. Although the main character is 20 if I remember correctly, he's the oldest of the main cast. Naru is 17, one girl is about 13, another ~14, another is 19 and I can't remember the exact ages of the others but he's the only one who isn't a teenager.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
Eh. I would say this one doesn't qualify. Although the main character is 20 if I remember correctly, he's the oldest of the main cast. Naru is 17, one girl is about 13, another ~14, another is 19 and I can't remember the exact ages of the others but he's the only one who isn't a teenager.

I'd disagree. Kitsune and Mutsume Otohime were also both adults. The series is essentially about an adult studying to get into college. Naru is already out of school and studying for entrance exams. All the school age kids are essentially side characters.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

I'd disagree. Kitsune and Mutsume Otohime were also both adults. The series is essentially about an adult studying to get into college. Naru is already out of school and studying for entrance exams. All the school age kids are essentially side characters.
Kitsune is an adult but she is a side character. Otohime.... ya I'll classify her as an adult but she doesn't show up until ep 6. I also wouldn't consider Keitaro an adult, even though he's 20, and I don't consider Naru an adult either for both of their childishness.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Can I add one of my pet series here? Gallery Fake, which I already wrote about in the "Your Favorite Anime Which No One Else Probably Knows About" thread here. Both the main characters are adults (Sara perhaps being college aged? not sure).

I also really enjoyed Ryoko's Case Files from 2008. Ryoko & her assistant Izumida (with whom she openly flirts) are both in their late(r) 20s. I actually really wished that show had gotten 26 episodes rather than the 13 it got because it obviously had more story to tell. (Oops, I see Furudanuki already mentioned it. Well then, I'll second the recommendation.)

Oh, and has anyone mentioned Ghost Slayers Ayashi (a.k.a. Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi)? IIRC the main character in that is supposed to be 40 (but he's still drawn like he's in his 20s, go figure...).

[P.S. I should mention that only the last series got licensed in R1. As far as I know, fansubs are your only hope for the first 2. I'm going to assume that the chances of them getting licensed at this point is pretty small so I wouldn't feel too bad about using fansubs (not that I particularly do obviously, but I mean you other folks out there).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

Kitsune is an adult but she is a side character. Otohime.... ya I'll classify her as an adult but she doesn't show up until ep 6. I also wouldn't consider Keitaro an adult, even though he's 20, and I don't consider Naru an adult either for both of their childishness.

Well, hell, if we're going to disqualify anime from the list on the basis of emotional maturity, we might as well toss half this list right now! Laughing
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

Well, hell, if we're going to disqualify anime from the list on the basis of emotional maturity, we might as well toss half this list right now! Laughing
Anime hyper You're right there!

The reason I don't think this qualifies is because over half of the main cast aren't adults. Naru is 17 and graduated high school (but not in college), so she is on the line. Shinobu is 13, Motoko is 15, and Kaolla is 14.
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, Ryoko's Case Files sounds really good. I think I might check that one out next. I hope its not really fanservicy.

Hmm was Ghost Sweeper Mikami about adults? That's another one I'd heard of but never seen. Or is that not the famous one but the OVA that ripped the more famous tv series off?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:
Okay the list is up to date as of this post. I left off a few shows that I thought were kind of borderline line. Such as shows with two main characters where one of them was young (Koi Kaze) or shows with a lot of younger characters (Valkyrie Chronicles).

Valkyrie chronicles has a few younger characters, but main heroine Alicia is 19 and the vast bulk of the cast is in their 20s or older.

And there should be no concern whatsoever about Koi Kaze being a story for adults. It carries a TV16+ rating for reasons that have nothing to do with graphic content. Even with a teenager as the secondary lead, it is not a story for teenagers.

Wings of Honneamise is a glaring omission in the movie category. It is a story about a fictional world's efforts to send a man into space for the first time, and the only non-adult regular character in the cast is a relatively minor one.

Living for the Day After Tomorrow is an age-swapping drama which is about 50/50 for kids-vs-adults in the cast but definitely skews towards older audiences.

A much dicier case is the series Kiddy Grade - and why it's a dicey case is actually a pretty big spoiler: spoiler[Although many of the major characters look like kids or teenagers, their ages can actually be measured in multiple lifetimes.]
One particular
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
The Animatrix - one segment has a school student but all the rest involve adults only.

Mushi Shi - the main character is an adult. He interacts with many people from episode to episode with some of them being children.

Ninja Scroll - all adults

House of Five Leaves - all adults except the daughter of one of the main characters, but she plays a supporting role only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
Aoi Bungaku - anthology of famous Japanese novel adaptations with adult characters

Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales - another anthology, this time of classic horror stories; the third installment, "Bake Neko." is the origin for the sequel Mononoke already in the list

**Ergo Proxy - science-fiction adventure set in a dystopian future; one character is an android designed to look like a child; rest are adults

Kurozuka - adult horror with blood and time travel

**Mouryou no Hako - mystery/horror about serial murders; two teen-aged girls appear at the outset but they are not the ultimate focus of the story

REC - short comedy/drama about a wannabe seiyuu and a young salaryman; Aka is 18, Fumihiko is in his early 20's

**Oh! Edo Rocket - political satire set in 1843-44 Edo; main character has a teen-aged brother who himself has a female admirer of an unspecified but probably similar age; otherwise all adults

Hyouge Mono - political intrigue and the esthetics of tea in the Sengoku period

More complex entries

**Level E - maybe; lots of adults and supposed teens who look and act like adults; "super sentai" arc focuses on high-schoolers, rest more adult

**Ikoku Meiro no Croisee - Yune is sixteen, but she is treated as an adult as was common in late 19th century Japan and France. She has a teen-aged admirer, the Japanophile Alice, but the rest of the cast is adult.

This method of defining "mature" shows leaves out the category of works like Kurenai where the focus is definitely adult as are many of the characters, but the mains are aged sixteen and seven.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5