• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 3rd New TV Commercial Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's to each his own. I personally saw the dub first and the sub second, but as far as voices go I could go either way. Paku Romi does a great job in all her roles, she does such an awesome job that often times when it's dubbed into english the english VA performances just fall flat (the VA who voiced Hitsugaya in the bleach dub comes to mind). On the other hand Vic always puts his heart into all his performance, you can really feel his enthusiasm. The energy he puts into his performances is so great that often times when I'm initially apprehensive about him being cast as a character that doesn't seem to suit his voice range upon seeing the final product he totally wins me over (his recent role as tamaki comes to mind). I guess the point I'm getting at is Paku Romi is excellent at what she does, but Vic is kind of a dark horse, he always manages to surprise you and even if he doesn't quite sound like you expected the energy and emotion is always there.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
"C'mon, Funi, were waiting". "Funi needs to hurry and license this". Blah blah blah. Oh, brother. You people aren't waiting for sh*t but the fansubs to hit netz. Knock it off, please. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
"C'mon, Funi, were waiting". "Funi needs to hurry and license this". Blah blah blah. Oh, brother. You people aren't waiting for sh*t but the fansubs to hit netz. Knock it off, please. Rolling Eyes

It's possible that Funimation may host legal speed subs at the same time it's airing. It's a rarity, but for a popular property like FMA, they might make that move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
So this brings up another discussion that's been rampant and I've been curious to ask again...

Pretty much everyone would prefer for Funimation to bring back the previous cast, assuming they get it, right?

I would say that's easily the general consensus, yes. The original dub cast imo was one of the best dub crews for an anime; overall I don't think I had a single complaint over the casting choices.Anime catgrin

I think FUNi is well aware of this fact among many FMA fans, and I'm sure they're trying their hardest to snag this little gem from other eager competitors even before it finishes its run in Jp. *crosses fingers*

If FUNi's last title announcement turns out, as many folks have speculated, to be FMA 2, I very much doubt they'd risk losing or even dividing the fandom (as well as their consumer profits) by selecting different VAs for the series.
So I think it's entirely possible that the two will go hand-in-hand if anything is to happen (so long as the aforementioned actors/actresses have no schedule constraints, which is the only thing I can think of that would prevent a return to the show, since I've heard nothing but positive things when asked if they'd like to act for FMA again). Anime hyper
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

It's possible that Funimation may host legal speed subs at the same time it's airing. It's a rarity, but for a popular property like FMA, they might make that move.

That totally slipped my mind. That will probably be the end result, anyway.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
If they license it and don't release it... good luck getting fansubbers to not do it. Fans will want this badly enough that it'll get done regardless of licensing, albeit by less prestigious groups. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Same thing is happening with Soul Eater, so I won't be surprised if it happens again with Fullmetal Alchemist. Heck, even Shikabane Hime is still being fansubbed. Fansubbers just won't be denied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
What's with all the Vic hate? Since the DVDs are out, people should not be complaining about the dub since they have the Japanse dub on the DVDs too. I loved Vic's voice acting, key word acting, and if it weren't for the fact that he, and everyone else did such a good job in English, I wouldn't have bought it.

Funimation will probably come back, but that all depends on:
1. Who the Japanese creators want to license FMA.
2. If Funimation gets the license it is also up to the Japanese who they want cast as the VAs. If they want Vic back that's their decision.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not watching a craptastic fansub, I tried to watch a Slayers Revolution sub, it was alright until they started changing font colors and font on me. Subtitles give me a headache anyway.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for some concrete information as to what exactly they're doing with the second season. Chances are I'll still watch it, regardless of what they do with it. Speaking of which, I'd be uber excited if Funi licenses this and puts it on Hulu or whatnot as they're doing with Shikabane Hime. As for the dub, I rather enjoyed it. Not so much the sub...Ed/Al sounded too feminine (wonder why Rolling Eyes ) for my tastes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Speaking of subtitles, I wish Funimation would improve the ones they put on their discs. I was watching the first half of FMA a few weeks back and the subtitles aren't outlined enough and you have to really focus in on it. Now, I've been watching subtitled anime for years, but if they're going to have a popular title like FMA, they need to make sure you can follow the subtitles without sitting a centimeter away from the screen.

AnimeEigo, for instance, has subtitles you can see from miles away, but they're not too big, either. They have the best subtitles in the business. AnimeEigo are true professionals.

I soon plan to buy the second half of FMA in the full "second season" boxset coming out next month. I've already seen the series in both subtitles and dubbed, so I know what's going on even if I can't see the subtitles that well. But it's a poor business decision to not provide good, visable subtitles.

Weirdly enough, I also noticed that Funimation has this thing where they have both the proper subtitles and dubtitles on the same disc. Which is why you should turn the subtitles on formally, instead of via the subtitle button on your DVD player remote, because you might end up with the close captions for the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
great vid...but i hope funi doesnt pick it up immediately...let it go for sumtime...
and talkin bout sub and dub..ill take the sub anyday...romi paku and rie are any day better than vic and aaron..and hopefully aaron doesnt come back this time..ill be glad if tat happens...
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Um, if we have to, yes.

Do you ever consider maybe some of us are hoping for, like penguin said, a speedy release/broadcasting? They got the rights to do it for subbing Shikabane Hime IIRC, at least they were in charge of distribution over youtube.

FMA was, last I recall, a huge, HUGE hit for them. If they wanna cash in fast AND big, this is their chance. Plus, they've been saying for a while now there would be big announcements coming and I doubt the meager license announcements they made recently were 'it'.

I will be all over it if they give us some form of instant satisfaction for the release. Anything as an alternative to the fansubs, if only so I can feel a little less guilty watching other stuff, albeit it's not as big as FMA2 will be.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
Huh? Before reading this forum, FMA (and Cowboy Bebop) was always considered to have a flawless dub.

I also never thought of Vic's portrayal of Ed to be bad. Ever. I'm looking back, I don't have a single complaint. I've never watched the subs, so as a first-time viewer, but since the story was so phenomenal I was enthralled even if there was a noticeable weakness.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Huh? Before reading this forum, FMA (and Cowboy Bebop) was always considered to have a flawless dub.

Wow, you're going to put the FMA dub in the same league as Cowboy Bebop's? What forums were you in? Funimation's? I can name at least twenty better dubs than FMA's, and most of those don't even measure up to CB's.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I guess it's to each his own. I personally saw the dub first and the sub second, but as far as voices go I could go either way. Paku Romi does a great job in all her roles, she does such an awesome job that often times when it's dubbed into english the english VA performances just fall flat (the VA who voiced Hitsugaya in the bleach dub comes to mind). On the other hand Vic always puts his heart into all his performance, you can really feel his enthusiasm. The energy he puts into his performances is so great that often times when I'm initially apprehensive about him being cast as a character that doesn't seem to suit his voice range upon seeing the final product he totally wins me over (his recent role as tamaki comes to mind). I guess the point I'm getting at is Paku Romi is excellent at what she does, but Vic is kind of a dark horse, he always manages to surprise you and even if he doesn't quite sound like you expected the energy and emotion is always there.

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder while reading this thread if I was the only person who loved both the sub and the dub. Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya are both amazing in their roles, and I thought the entire dub cast was brilliant. One of the top 5 best dubs ever, imho. As for Vic's range, hearing him as Ikkaku in Bleach but not realizing it was him until he had a freakout moment and suddenly sounded somewhat alike Ed proves his abilities to me.

504NOSON2 wrote:

Yay for cynicism. I, for one, am waiting for the hopefully non-upscaled raws, seeing as how BONES has been making some very pretty shows as of late. If Funi licenses and simulcasts a sub of this, I'll watch both, since I doubt the stream will be 720p, or free at 720p. And here's to a speedy DVD release in season sets once it finishes airing in Japan. I can't wait to stick this next to my metal tins of the original series. xD

penguintruth wrote:
Weirdly enough, I also noticed that Funimation has this thing where they have both the proper subtitles and dubtitles on the same disc. Which is why you should turn the subtitles on formally, instead of via the subtitle button on your DVD player remote, because you might end up with the close captions for the dub.

I noticed this as well with the original FMA DVDs. If you start it in English and turn on the subs, they're captions, though if your DVD player is recent at all, you should be able to hit the button again and select the actual sub track. If not, then yeah, just select English language+subs from the setup menu, in order to compare the translations. I recently did this with the second One Piece boxset. It was interesting how much the script has been changed, but still feels true to the intents of the original dialogue.
cnav

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

Um, if we have to, yes.

Do you ever consider maybe some of us are hoping for, like penguin said, a speedy release/broadcasting? They got the rights to do it for subbing Shikabane Hime IIRC, at least they were in charge of distribution over youtube.

FMA was, last I recall, a huge, HUGE hit for them. If they wanna cash in fast AND big, this is their chance. Plus, they've been saying for a while now there would be big announcements coming and I doubt the meager license announcements they made recently were 'it'.

I will be all over it if they give us some form of instant satisfaction for the release. Anything as an alternative to the fansubs, if only so I can feel a little less guilty watching other stuff, albeit it's not as big as FMA2 will be.

listen dude ...firstly i wanna know where ur from??? if ur from the united states or some english speakin place in europe..mind ur own business...wats up with u having a problem wit fansubs..what difference does it make for u if funi licences this immediately or not...ur bothering about the profit of funi as if ur a part of the company...moreover Let me give u a bl@@dy wake up call...FUNI dubs S_ck ...u people are dyin like as if fma is english property..dont forget where its from...y dont u watch cartoon network which shows what ur country makes.....HANNA barbara ...great stuff...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7