• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Best Friends Forever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ahem, is there a rule for guys? Just curious. Laughing
If there isn't one yet, doesn't hurt to start with one now. So let's have a look at the original Bechdel Rule and see what can be the guy's exception for a best male friendship concept:
Casey wrote:
It has three parts: 1) There are two or more females, 2) they have a conversation, 3) that is not about men.
So for good depictions of male relationships/friendships in the media, it should have these three parts: 1) There are two or more males, 2) they have a conversation, 3) that's not about women.

Eyeshield 21, anyone? Rolling Eyes
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have no concrete conclusions about them, but they give me food for thought when trying to conceptualize the boundaries between friendship and romance, between platonic love and sexual love.

Really? No concrete conclusions about pretty much the Very First Yuri Couple ever? I don't know which Utena you were watching, but that was a heck of a lot more overt than any "close friendship."

Quote:
With shows like Azumanga Daioh, I sometimes feel like the girls are zoo specimens. Their day-to-day lives as a spectacle for the guys who are the target audience--like watching a chimpanzee scratch its underarm on some nature documentary or something.

You're really reaching here. In all the years since AzuDai has been created, I have never once heard such a preposterous idea. Can't a simple slice-of-life manga be just that? Do you really need to over analyze it and attribute some kind of psycho-social philosophy behind it? Really?

Quote:
I would have liked to have seen them mention "yuri goggles" a bit too. The kind of anti-Bechdel where if two women do show a particular closeness they are seen as lesbians.

To be fair, the vast majority of yuri fans only pair couples that have at least a smidge of canon possibility to the relationship. We're nowhere near as bad as the yaoi fangirls that throw together everything under the sun, no matter how ridiculous.

I'm completely behind everyone saying that shipping together people for the sake of shipping is stupidly vapid and inane, but sometimes I think people are mildly homophobic in turning a blind eye to some pretty blatant couplings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was quite possibly the most one-sided discussion yet. Sad

Bamboo wrote:
This is seen in shows like SuperGALS!, where just being together is enough to make all the bad problems go away.

I hate to say it, but I think that is a serious case of short-selling SuperGals. I can think of few other series that can compete with SuperGals in back story and relational framework. I loved Azumanga, but I think SuperGals had more heart and more grit. You can see much of what makes up each Azumanga character from their opening segment. It's a hugely entertaining series but there aren't too many surprises really, what you see is what you get. SuperGals though, seems to have a lot more to learn about each character than first meets your eye. It was a lot of fun following their stories and getting to see how they came about. SG is full of illogical nonsense, just like most anime series, but there is plenty of real issues as well, even if they're often exaggerated and then glossed over as each plot point comes to a close.

Casey wrote:
I think we need a clarifier: Azumanga Daioh and Girls High, those are shows primarily for men, which automatically puts them in an entirely different category than shows like Utena or NANA.

That doesn't sound like a clarifier so much as a sexist smack to the face. I had to re-read it just to make sure I wasn't somehow missing the part where you explained where this blanket conjecture was coming from.

Casey wrote:
Though SuperGALS!, if I recall, is for little girls.

Based on what, exactly? I'm confused by your apparent need to pigeonhole everything into well defined audiences. SuperGals was recommended to me by all manner of fans, male and female, old and young. I honestly thought ANN was all about respecting the widespread appeal of the medium, but here in this article it seems as though we're reverting back toward the overly simplistic views of the 1990's.

Casey wrote:
That alien female species!

Reading your comments gives me the impression you're every bit as confused over what guys think as you seem to think we are about girls. Oh, the irony.

Bamboo wrote:
You knock out a lot of popular shows like Sex and the City and Friends.

What a shocker, you mean American television is full of worthless trash? Who'd have thunk it? Mr. Green

Sara wrote:
Right, while anime series have a full story planned from the beginning.

Just judging from the massive number of series I've seen that have poor endings or no endings at all I'd have to say that calling it a "full" story is going a bit too far. They have "a" story, sure, but a complete story? In far too many examples to mention they're not even close. Sad
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Really? No concrete conclusions about pretty much the Very First Yuri Couple ever? I don't know which Utena you were watching, but that was a heck of a lot more overt than any "close friendship.

I never once while watching Utena thought of Anthy and Utena as lovers. And it always bothers me when people refer to it as a homoerotic anime. I have always felt that had a relationship that surpassed normal friendship. I do not think even the BFF term could be used to describe it.

The movie is a different story with the homoeroticism, but that was just a vast waste of space anyway that I typically do not even want talk about it.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
That bit and corresponding links about the Bechdel Test were really interesting and were quite revealing about how Western films are made and their influence they hold on society. As misogynistic a lot of westerners perceive Japanese culture, some of their cultural products really aren't as bad as most of our stuff.

In regards to anime, I see a lot of the reverse effect; female characters are capable of a multitude of roles, relationships, and personal growth, while I perceive male ones to be somewhat stale and predictably structured. Specifically, I'm thinking of Miyazaki's works, where his heroines are compassionate and clever, but are also brave, strong-willed, and morally upstanding. I can barely remember the last time I was able to relate well to, or even remotely like, a male protagonist (Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya would be the last one). While females can take on all the roles male would do, it seems there are limits to the "allowable" emotional range and depth of male characters.

Imagine a slice-of-life show made with an all guy cast. If you can see how that would never work, you can understand where I'm coming from.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That doesn't sound like a clarifier so much as a sexist smack to the face. I had to re-read it just to make sure I wasn't somehow missing the part where you explained where this blanket conjecture was coming from.

So true. I know a ton of guys that are completely grossed out by some of the overly-blunt discussions that go on in Girls High, at that. And to say AzuDai doesn't have transcendent appeal and is even remotely aimed at a single audience...wait, what?

Quote:
Reading your comments gives me the impression you're every bit as confused over what guys think as you seem to think we are about girls.

Was thinking the same thing and I'm not even a guy. Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
kadian1364 wrote:
As misogynistic a lot of westerners perceive Japanese culture, some of their cultural products really aren't as bad as most of our stuff...In regards to anime, I see a lot of the reverse effect; female characters are capable of a multitude of roles, relationships, and personal growth, while I perceive male ones to be somewhat stale and predictably structured.

Absolutely, and I was kind of hoping this would come up more in the article. I find the way some aspects of Japanese society are turned upside down in anime to be rather interesting. The idea that a society which is so restrictive toward women would have so many strong female roles in anime is both confusing and intriguing and it's something I've long wondered about. Maybe we can hear more about that in a future article.

kadian1364 wrote:
Imagine a slice-of-life show made with an all guy cast. If you can see how that would never work, you can understand where I'm coming from.

I thought Ouran Host Club was going to be just that kind of show, until a certain character turned out to be a girl. D'oh! Wink
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the female version of the shonen, "Just believe in friendship and teamwork!" mantra.

That's the reason I can't understand people who watch Marimite looking for yuri. BTW, I'm a guy and I usually prefer the conflictive friendship between male characters. I found curious that there is admiration in male friendship and female friendship. Yumi admires Sachiko's femininity and a shounen character usually admire his friend's masculinity (perserverance, courage, strenght, etc)
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Quote:
Really? No concrete conclusions about pretty much the Very First Yuri Couple ever? I don't know which Utena you were watching, but that was a heck of a lot more overt than any "close friendship.

I never once while watching Utena thought of Anthy and Utena as lovers. And it always bothers me when people refer to it as a homoerotic anime. I have always felt that had a relationship that surpassed normal friendship. I do not think even the BFF term could be used to describe it.

The movie is a different story with the homoeroticism, but that was just a vast waste of space anyway that I typically do not even want talk about it.

Maybe it's my gay-ness speaking here but Utena and Anthy some something going on that was more than just friendship. I agree that throughout the show they are friends but afterwards? It's clear that they chose each other over anyone else. I hate how lesbianism is being thought of as a bad form of female closeness in this thread. I agree that people assuming every girl in MariMite is gay is rediculous but it's hard to say some aren't. Yumi seems to be getting the hard gay for Sachiko in this new season even moreso than previous seasons
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

You think so?

Casey wrote:
I think we need a clarifier: Azumanga Daioh and Girls High, those are shows primarily for men, which automatically puts them in an entirely different category than shows like Utena or NANA.

Casey wrote:
That alien female species!

I disagree with Casey on both of these points, personally, and I thought I made it clear enough in the column. Guess not.

I don't think target audience is a good enough excuse to make assumptions about how any person should perceive and enjoy a series. I love Azumanga Daioh, myself. It's one of the most consistently re-watched titles on my DVD shelf. Who am I to assume how others perceive the series, regardless of their gender? I apologize if I wasn't clear enough in the discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hate how lesbianism is being thought of as a bad form of female closeness in this thread. I agree that people assuming every girl in MariMite is gay is rediculous but it's hard to say some aren't. Yumi seems to be getting the hard gay for Sachiko in this new season even moreso than previous seasons

Yes, and yes. Kind of makes it sad, really. On both accounts. xD
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Really? No concrete conclusions about pretty much the Very First Yuri Couple ever?

You think yuri started with Utena? Oh dear...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Bamboo wrote:
This is seen in shows like SuperGALS!, where just being together is enough to make all the bad problems go away.

I hate to say it, but I think that is a serious case of short-selling SuperGals. I can think of few other series that can compete with SuperGals in back story and relational framework. I loved Azumanga, but I think SuperGals had more heart and more grit. SuperGals though, seems to have a lot more to learn about each character than first meets your eye. It was a lot of fun following their stories and getting to see how they came about.

Don't misunderstand me here. Super Gals is one of my favorite shows of all time. I love the characters, and I especially love Ran because she cares deeply about her friends. But a running theme in the show is that friendship *is* everything. And that's *not* a bad thing, like you somehow perceived it to be.

Friendship *does* make the bad things go away. You don't need to sell yourself to men. You don't need to study until your head hurts. You don't need to force yourself to be in a relationship. You don't need to _________________. If you have strong, female friends beside you, you can get the support and the love that you need to keep going and to do what's right.

How is that a bad thing? I love Super Gals, and while I didn't get to gush about it in the article, I do think that strong female friendships can conquer all the problems in the world (HYPERBOLE).

Quote:
Absolutely, and I was kind of hoping this would come up more in the article. I find the way some aspects of Japanese society are turned upside down in anime to be rather interesting. The idea that a society which is so restrictive toward women would have so many strong female roles in anime is both confusing and intriguing and it's something I've long wondered about. Maybe we can hear more about that in a future article.

Unfortunately, if we tried to be complete and cover every facet of every topic every week, we'd run out of things to talk about. Sad Part of the reason these forum discussions are so valuable is so we can identify weak points, parts we need to cover, and see if we can find interesting guests to help us cover those points.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I think friendship is so much more all encompassing than what narrow view I think I am seeing here. It doesn't matter if two friends are talking about what will grow well in a garden or if they are losing their lover to someone else, the friendship is the basis of that conversation. I want to note there that it doesn't matter if the lover is the opposite gender, or even if the lover is that very same friend.

That is where I find that bechdel rule to be interesting. If they are constantly talking about a lover, what difference does does their gender make? Is it that they are talking about a lover, rather than their own friendship? This is where I see the size of friendship to be so much larger. Who do you talk about your LIFE with? The whole thing, everything. The part we see in a show is perhaps a different point of view, but that doesn't make the friend part go away. I may be odd in looking at a story in a way where each character has a much larger secret life that I don't know... so when evidence of friendship occurs... Like a look, or quiet support happens, I know there is a whole backstory there. When that friendship is in the foreground, there might be a moment when they speak of lovers as well, and there is a whole secret lovelife there...

Is this an odd way to see it all?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Really? No concrete conclusions about pretty much the Very First Yuri Couple ever?

You think yuri started with Utena? Oh dear...

Nah, but it's pretty much the first thing most people jump to when they think about modern anime and yuri pairings. Either that or Uranus and Neptune.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7