• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Best Friends Forever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
4. So many NANA discussions, so little mention of Jun, Hachi's 1st bestfriend. She's Nana K.'s rock! She and her boyfriend have the most stable relationship in...NANA-dom! Minor character, sure, but a great addition to the bonus pages in the tankobons! Laughing

I love Jun! She's the only woman in NANA who's with a guy who doesn't treat her like crap (or from whom she's buying sex). Her relationship with Hachi has always struck me as really...motherly. Like a big sister who's way older than you, and thus takes care of you as much as she is your friend. You see the big sister/little sister dynamic a LOT.

And for earlier in your post... anime is just rife with awesome female characters, but filled with ones you'd like to smack for being weak-willed idiots, too. My first heavy exposure to anime came through Fushigi Yuugi, so I got that misconception out of the way right off the bat.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
You're missing the point of the Bechdel Test. It's best described in the linked article, but I'll quote it to save time:

Quote:
I had to understand that the audience only wanted white, straight, male leads. I was assured that as long as I made the white, straight men in my scripts prominent, I could still offer groundbreaking characters of other descriptions (fascinating, significant women, men of color, etc.) - as long as they didn’t distract the audience from the white men they really paid their money to see.

The problem with films that don't pass the Bechdel Test is that it makes it seem as though women have only one focus in their life: men. Because if the guy they're obsessed with isn't around, women will need to talk about him to other women a.) show just how obsessed they are with him and b.) to focus the audience back on the male character and not on other potentially interesting side characters.
So by eliminating the male distraction, the conversation between women will then be forced to focus on each others, is that it? Hm.. honestly, this is where the process of elimination would fail on us men, for you see:
Cait wrote:
I think, to be fair, the "male version" would have to be a little more like this:

1) There are two or more males, 2) they have a conversation, 3) that's not about women or sports. Wink
If we eliminate the general task, the common goal, and the unifier that could bring us men into a team, a group, and a unit, then we won't have anything to related ourselves with one another. For since the dawn of time, we men were task seekers, hunters who will band together to form a hunting party in order to hunt down our preys for greater efficiency and a higher chance of survival. It is also why we men tend to rely on our reptilian brains and react on instincts, and we're more likely to be the aggressors. In another word, we men are in general too dumb to even pay attention to ourselves, and good luck on seeking help from each others in that regard.

This is the first time in a long time that I regret being so frank, intrusive, and transparent. Sad
Furudanuki wrote:
Laughing No, I'm very aware of the etymology of the term - my involvement with anime predates its common usage. I was merely engaging in a bit of wordplay using the earlier comment about today's average anime fan. Though I will say that when Dirty Pair was making the rounds of convention video rooms it was rather amusing to see how many people held that exact misconception. Wink
But the same can't be said for Yuri from the Art of Fighting video game. To this day Yuri's sexual preference is still being hinted by her namesake among the KoF fans. And NEO-GEO still got no official confirmation in that regard, so Yuri's still free game for the KoF fandom's fancy. Rolling Eyes
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Vash, Yes, you mentioned Junko first, I just didn't notice it. Kudos! She is like a big sis, and I love that about her!

how's this for a topic: Sibling relationships...they don't all have to be incestuous! Wink

Maybe it's because I'm close with my sibs, but as an American comic fan, I've always bemoaned the lack of siblings in superhero comics (the only one I can think of are the Storm siblings in Fantastic Four), and anime/manga have a very notable number of great sibling pairs. I find it very unfortunate when said pairs are shipped (Kurau and Christmas, even (squick) Ed and Al), but isn't it awesome how many different types of non-romantic bonds you can find in anime/manga that are hard to find everywhere else?!

A lot of people on the NPR boards pointed out contemporary American shows that easily pass the Bechdell Rule, such as Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Battlestar Galactica, anything by Joss Whedon, etc. it's interesting.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Of course Kei and Yuri probably flunk the Bechdel Test because they do discuss men quite a bit. But those men are hardly at the center of their lives, and back in that particular day their behavior was viewed as pretty outlandish for female anime characters.

The etymology of yuri is fuzzy enough that the Dirty Pair is one possible source. The light novels had "We're not lesbians!" so presumably they had in-story speculation about their sexual orientation.

The thing with Marimite and yuri is the old rule that you can't have yuri without "Oneesama!" Hard to think of another show where "oneesama" is used more often between two girls who aren't related.

Heck, the Anne of Green Gables anime had Anne and Diana's relationship emphasized thusly: "Diana, didn't we promise each other not to get married and become old maids?" I know, they're bosom friends, not a lesbian couple, though that doesn't stop people from speculating.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

[quoteLooks pretty solid so far, but there are two fatal flaws in that system; the legal age of consent for sexual activity at 13 is too low,[/quote]

I know it's been a few pages since this post but I feel compelled to correct you. While it's true the legal age of consent is 13 according to national law, the individual prefectures are allowed to make their own age of consent law. However, if they don't, then the national law applies but the age cannot be set lower than 13. Last I heard all prefectures now have their own consent laws which places the age between 16 and 18. I believe Tokyo was the last to do this just recently. So I believe it is now illegal to have sex with anyone under the age of 16 in Japan.

* I would quote a source but I know I read this somewhere recently. Probably on ANN.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Cait wrote:
I think, to be fair, the "male version" would have to be a little more like this:

1) There are two or more males, 2) they have a conversation, 3) that's not about women or sports. Wink

If we eliminate the general task, the common goal, and the unifier that could bring us men into a team, a group, and a unit, then we won't have anything to related ourselves with one another. For since the dawn of time, we men were task seekers, hunters who will band together to form a hunting party in order to hunt down our preys for greater efficiency and a higher chance of survival. It is also why we men tend to rely on our reptilian brains and react on instincts, and we're more likely to be the aggressors. In another word, we men are in general too dumb to even pay attention to ourselves, and good luck on seeking help from each others in that regard.

Aside from the fact that I was, for the most part, clearly joking, I will attempt to defend my argument. While I am trying to unravel the cryptic arguments you try to express and am probably missing the mark in what you were actually trying to say, I will say that it is inaccurate to compare the male preoccupation with sports with survival instincts, such as hunting. Sports, if anything, are an extension of the male competitive spirit, the one that determines, often, reproductive success. While it is true that there is an instinctive correlation between males who are athletic (the ability to hunt effectively) and successful, let's call it "mating," the problem isn't there, but in the preoccupation with the very act of athletics, not its rewards. It is counter-productive for men to always be talking about sports, therefore, if the ultimate goal is to land a woman, because, seriously, women in general have no interest in the sports themselves, only generally in what they represent (of course, there are serious exceptions to this rule and I am not suggesting that women can't appreciate athletics themselves).

What I am trying to say is that men focus on sports unproductively in conversation in the same way that women discuss men unproductively in conversation (particularly in works of fiction where the conversation focuses on the aesthetic and unrealistic expectations or ideals of men, and not their substance). In order to be fair, for the Bechdel rule to apply to men, the threads of conversation that men have with other men should reflect an actual, productive social interaction and not the distraction that things like sports afford, to resist discussing the things that could actually help them understand both genders (not just their own). Therefore, I would even amend my joke to, "3) that is not about sports or sex," because if men want to understand women, maybe they should start by talking about them (and not about their breasts or willingness to "give it up").
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
But I'm surprised Sailor Moon never got a mention! Like, come on, 5+ girls, kicking butt, BFF, etc, and guys having lesser, weaker roles where they do next to nil? Ok, I admit, I have sentimental opinion with it, but still... it's a big one.

I agree - there's a lot of strong female friendships to be found in magical girl shows. Not only are the girls required to work as a team, but that team must be tightly knit in order to fully complete their mission. "Sailor Moon" is just one good example - not only does it have the primary group, but there are secondary teams that are very closely bound, like the former Dark Moon Circus girls who become Chibiusa's team in the manga. "Wedding Peach" is an even better example. Unlike in "Sailor Moon," Momoko, Yuri, and Hinagiku were close friends to begin with. They use their friendship to strengthen their teamwork while fighting the devils - Momoko even uses that friendship to transform Yuri and Hinagiku into Love Angels initially in the manga. (And did anyone else notice that Viz used the German editions for their translations???) In "Othello" (which I realize isn't quite a magical girl story, but hey, she transforms) it is the lack of female friendship that causes Yaya to become Nana, and the strong friendship between Maron and Miyako in "Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne" influences how both girls react to the situation as each tries to protect the other.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
heh Cait... I would submit this is why there is no bechdel for men... we think about things fundamentally in a different way than women. Different agendas and needs and all that. We talk sports to consolidate the team. And then? And then you have a kid in the intensive care unit, and you call you best friend to tell him that your #1son is probably dying. An open phone line and silence for 30 seconds, and he says: "you need me there?"

There, that was the whole conversation, and all that was needed. Completely different than what my ex-wife needed from her friends.

So, while I know you are partly joking, it's a good thing to think of... when the conversation turns to "does she put out?" the very next words can be, "you gonna marry this one?" 'I'm thinking about it.'

"because if men want to understand women, maybe they should start by talking about them" - cait
Likewise with women understanding men... realise that we are a bit different and not just in looks... and that doesn't make us wrong.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Sports, if anything, are an extension of the male competitive spirit, the one that determines, often, reproductive success. While it is true that there is an instinctive correlation between males who are athletic (the ability to hunt effectively) and successful, let's call it "mating," the problem isn't there, but in the preoccupation with the very act of athletics, not its rewards. It is counter-productive for men to always be talking about sports, therefore, if the ultimate goal is to land a woman, because, seriously, women in general have no interest in the sports themselves, only generally in what they represent (of course, there are serious exceptions to this rule and I am not suggesting that women can't appreciate athletics themselves).
As a human behavior pattern hobbyist and a freelance fitness trainer, I can understand your reasoning. But as an advert participant of wellness through active lifestyle for 8 years, I would like to point out the benefits of an active lifestyle through sports and fitness.

Now I know that there is the competitiveness aspect in sports, and that's how men display themselves being a physically stronger specimen among others, thereby gaining attentions from women, who find athletic performances as signs of healthy genes and power status. And that's exactly why I don't like most professional sports that's being broadcast on TV these days. They're displaying so much competitiveness in sports entertainments, that they're neglecting the technical and spiritual aspects of sports and fitness.

However, I consider the technical and spiritual aspects of sports and fitness are the truthfulness and purity of active lifestyle. It is by these strength and virtue can one achieve wellness through active living, and I believe wellness is something both men and women can relate.

Cait wrote:
In order to be fair, for the Bechdel rule to apply to men, the threads of conversation that men have with other men should reflect an actual, productive social interaction and not the distraction that things like sports afford, to resist discussing the things that could actually help them understand both genders (not just their own). Therefore, I would even amend my joke to, "3) that is not about sports or sex," because if men want to understand women, maybe they should start by talking about them (and not about their breasts or willingness to "give it up").
Then in that case, I'm open for enlightenment on just how women think about sports and sex. And find the strengths and virtues in both subjects in order to achieve a sense of wellness. Because when it comes to sports and sex, we men are all eyes and ears! Laughing
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I have to finally ask....what does ANY of this have to do with the actual article?
Wellness, my good fellow. That's the key to the kind of best friendship that will last forever. And it's only through appreciating, advocating, and understanding who we are by engaging ourselves through various activities with our friends and love ones, that we can discover our own path to wellness.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I'm sure abunai or Zac will give me an earful for this but whatever.

Why in the world would we do that?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I'm sure abunai or Zac will give me an earful for this but whatever.

Why in the world would we do that?

Yah, why?

But now that we have been invoked... Psycho, look at your post. Look at the size of that quote box. Just look at it.

I trust you to do the right thing and let the air out of it, a bit.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
...uh? OK, this is OT, but with the way the last two CoA article discussions have been derailed, sidetracked, and descended into PURE INSANITY, is this going to be a continued trend, and are people going to continue pulling out their soapboxes to share their wonderful life experiences, etc. with us all? I mean geez, it's about female best friends in anime, not "Well, it's a lot like how this time when I..."

Well, anyway...that's my two cents.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
...uh? OK, this is OT, but with the way the last two CoA article discussions have been derailed, sidetracked, and descended into PURE INSANITY, is this going to be a continued trend, and are people going to continue pulling out their soapboxes to share their wonderful life experiences, etc. with us all? I mean geez, it's about female best friends in anime, not "Well, it's a lot like how this time when I..."

Well, anyway...that's my two cents.

Here's mine: you should be one of the last people to berate others for soapboxing. You're right, it's wrong -- but really, you shouldn't be the one saying it, because you're one of the worst offenders.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I was a tad disappointed at the limited scope of this week's discussion. The same handful of characters and Anime were mentioned time and time again, and it felt repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I liked the depth, but the discussion was way too narrow, and (I felt) a little stale by the end. I mean, surely there are more female-only friendships in Anime than the few that were discussed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7