• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - True Fans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Reverse importation is a serious problem, whether its a year or two later or not.

So is buying the discs used from Amazon or eBay a couple years later, but you don't see the entertainment industry in dire straights cause of it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Assuming "entertainment industry" means "Hollywood", home video sales are pretty much nothing but gravy anyway - a production's already succeeded or failed by then.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Assuming "entertainment industry" means "Hollywood", home video sales are pretty much nothing but gravy anyway - a production's already succeeded or failed by then.

Blanket term encompassing any media. Not just Hollywood.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Blanket term encompassing any media. Not just Hollywood.

This certainly is not true of the anime industry.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
I find it very odd that some people on ANN try to downplay reverse importation when almost every encounter I've had with fans in Japan or fans who have otaku friends in Japan have said that they have reverse imported or were considering it. And I don't think that I'm very 'deep' into otaku culture, so my guess is that what I see is the tip of the iceberg.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
It doesn't really matter if reverse importation is a problem or not. This is one of those situations where perception is reality.

You can use all the logic and statistics you want. However unless you can change the beliefs of the Japanese executives who make the decisions, reverse importation will be a problem for the US.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
It doesn't really matter if reverse importation is a problem or not. This is one of those situations where perception is reality.

You can use all the logic and statistics you want. However unless you can change the beliefs of the Japanese executives who make the decisions, reverse importation will be a problem for the US.

Yeah I always have a problem with situations where someone states what is pretty obvious, and then people try to argue it away by manipulating logic, stats, arguments, etc.

Enough fans in Japan practice reverse importation for Japanese companies to be worried. That is all there is to be said.

I have already predicted that with the shrinking of anime and manga in walk-in stores, fans of anime and manga overseas will probably need to learn Japanese to purchase items from Japan raw. It seems that we all have to be prepared to pay Japanese prices too.

Of course I am unhappy with that, but trying to convince other fans on the Internet about how the Japanese companies are wrong isn't going to be very fruitful.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

Enough fans in Japan practice reverse importation for Japanese companies to be worried. That is all there is to be said.

Yep. Here's Amazon.co.jp. Now search "K-On" and "Clannad". Look at what the first results are. Gee, I wonder why Japanese companies might have huge fears about Japanese buyers importing from overseas. Note that that K-On! volume isn't even out yet and is not a third-party seller but being sold directly by Amazon.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Yep. Here's Amazon.co.jp. Now search "K-On" and "Clannad". Look at what the first results are. Gee, I wonder why Japanese companies might have huge fears about Japanese buyers importing from overseas. Note that that K-On! volume isn't even out yet and is not a third-party seller but being sold directly by Amazon.

Clannad Complete Season for 5,580 yen, or 42,554 yen... tough choice.

Also interesting is that the K-On volume up for preorder is ranked at 1,500 among DVDs.. a few anime volumes from the Spring season are ranked lower then that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
On reverse importation,

Since we are wildly speculating on how terrible the issue of reverse importation is for Japanese companies, I will use my right to potentially talk non-sense too.

I do believe that some people from Japan import North American anime blu-rays. The question is how many copies they import. First, I am going to speculate (based on figures that Oricon released on the top seller animes in Japan in 2011) that there are at least 50,000 hardcore Japanese Otaku, who buy most Japanese anime releases. 50k to me suggest that it is more than enought to recuperate pruduction costs and generate plenty of profit for Japanese anime companies.

Now, how many Japanese people like anime enought to buy it, but do not want to sell their cars to do so. My wild guess is 5,000. These casual fans watched X anime on tv, and they loved it. One time they went to the store and saw X anime on sale for 35,000 yen (US$ 450), but they were flabbergasted by the price. Some of these casual fans might go online and find the North American BD release of X anime for 5,000 yen (US$65), and 2000-3000 people end up importing it. Is that such a big deal?

I believe that reverse importation is real, but I think Japanese executives and some in these forums are blowing things out of proportion. I blame Japanese executive the most because (wildy speculating again here) they seem to believe that the 2000-3000 people who import N.A. releases are going to eventually shell out $450 per series if they did not have a cheapter alternative. I strongly believe that Japanese people who refuse to pay $450 per series will not change their stance.

To conclude, some Japanese people might look to find cheaper anime overseas because they think Japanese prices are ridiculous. But how are they cannabilizing Japanese sales? Most of these importers were NEVER going to buy the local, ultra expensive releases anyway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Is it so outrageous to think that otaku who once bought those expensive Japanese discs might have found a goldmine in importing American ones, and they tell their other otaku buddies? It's only easier when BD is involved, since there's zero concern over region coding or conversion.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is it so outrageous to think that otaku who once bought those expensive Japanese discs might have found a goldmine in importing American ones, and they tell their other otaku buddies? It's only easier when BD is involved, since there's zero concern over region coding or conversion.

I have trouble believing that Japanese Otaku, who seem to be proud of owning all ultra expensive limited editions of anime releases, would turn into dirt cheap buyers.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I have trouble believing that Japanese Otaku, who seem to be proud of owning all ultra expensive limited editions of anime releases, would turn into dirt cheap buyers.

Even otaku have limited money, and would rather be able to buy more anime to make a bigger collection. The DVD Rankings for these imports is about all I need to know to see its a big problem. These things are ranked as high, if not higher, then many other actual Japanese releases. Thats a big problem.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Even otaku have limited money, and would rather be able to buy more anime to make a bigger collection. The DVD Rankings for these imports is about all I need to know to see its a big problem. These things are ranked as high, if not higher, then many other actual Japanese releases. Thats a big problem.

I would be willing to buy this argument with concrete numbers. If you have them, I would like to see the numbers. Without figures, all we can do is keep speculating and guessing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I would be willing to buy this argument with concrete numbers. If you have them, I would like to see the numbers. Without figures, all we can do is keep speculating and guessing.

Infinite Stratos Import BD: http://www.amazon.co.jp/ISインフィニット・ストラトス-コンプリートコレクション(北米輸入盤)/dp/B006XDU7Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343065920&sr=8-1

Ranked #635

Highest ranked Infinite Stratos Japanese Volume:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/IS-<インフィニット・ストラトス>-第5巻-Blu-ray-菊地康仁/dp/B004I5BSKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343065920&sr=8-2

Ranked #5,856

There is little reason for people to buy the actual Japanese releases once the new version comes out. Oh and btw, that #635 ranking would beating out quite a few anime from Summer season in rank:

http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi

Hagure Yuusha no Esthetica
Binbougami ga
Rinne no Lagrange 2
Hakuouki
Ebiten
Which one is my sister
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Arcana Famila

Its currently ranked above all of these shows, and its just an import. When imports sell more than entire brand new tv shows...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12