• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Tatsunoko, Marvel Aim for Joint TV Anime in 3 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
This, is actually good news its nice to see the markets coming together. I just hope it doesn't lead to marvel buying out japanese studios.
TheCrushinator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
This, is actually good news its nice to see the markets coming together. I just hope it doesn't lead to marvel buying out japanese studios.

It's only good if Marvel can learn to let one writer write a story with a beginning, a middle and an end without giving it to ten other writers for do-overs. Marvel has squandered its properties by not allowing characters to grow and change. They rarely kill off a main character and always resurrect them, eventually. How long before we see a cover boasting "THE TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF THE ORIGINAL CAPTAIN AMERICA!" ?
Wild_Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I think this is good news too. But I will say that it will only work if Marvel doesn't micro-manage the creative. Things like Animatrix and Witchblade worked well because the Western talent inspired the Japanese side and then let them do what they do.

Things like Highlander and Dark Knight SUCKED because the Western talent tried to write and control this as if it was going to be animated in the US.

Just give Tatsunoko some basic ground rules... Then let them cut loose!
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Marvel Vs. Tatsunoko, anyone?

C.B. Cebulski also did a comic with Ryusuke Hamamoto called Compass. I really wish I could find all four issues...
Gurihiru (artist duo) also worked on the revived Power Pack comic series with Marc Sumerak.
All comic fans, and there's plenty more out there.

It's interesting seeing Japanese artist making a name for themselves in the comic industry in the west.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hm. Interesting...I almost read that as "Capcom and Tatsunoko" for obvious reasons. Still, I have to wonder if the West will see this, being that Marvel is involved. I still wish we would get Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but eh...if they make a game based on this, we could at least see Captain America and Ken the Eagle to head-to-head in the future...
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Though I would much rather have loved to see DC and Tatsunoko, I'm not too picky. The idea of Casshern teaming up with Iron Man does make my Otaku-sense tingle. Anime smile
AQVXZ11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This is cool and all, but I would much rather seen Marvel team up with Shueisha on something like this so we could see Shonen Jump characters and Marvel charecters together...
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow... That's such a strange coincidence. MvC..TvC...now MvT as an anime?

...man screw it just make another game MvTvC. Mag-Fuckin-Neto/Ippatsuman/Cap-Commando team would be S+++ tier.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I did predicted that Tatsunoko would team up with America for something. But I didn't expect Marvel would be the one to do it. Well, kind of awesome to see two company teaming up to do it.

I would have love to see DC teaming up with maybe Toei, or well I don't know.

GeneralArrow wrote:

Marvel probably won't do it. They already have enough and beside they just want to unleash the anime for the western and Japanese markets.

AQVXZ11 wrote:
This is cool and all, but I would much rather seen Marvel team up with Shueisha on something like this so we could see Shonen Jump characters and Marvel charecters together...

Well, maybe DC and Shueisha could team up or something. I would love to see Superman designed by Akira Toriyama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
letniinside

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:

If that happens, IT WOULD BE THE DEATH OF ANIME INDUSTRIES.

AS WE ALL KNOW THAT MARVEL & A LOT OF AMERICAN GRAPHIC NOVEL HAS THE MOST CORNIEST, CHEESIEST, SILLIEST, & HORRIBLE STORYLINES & DIALOGUES. EG. ALL MARVEL'S COMICS & CARTOONS
LOOK AT AFRO SAMURAI. WATTA DUMB MOVIE.

HOPEFULLY IN THIS COLLABORATION, THE JAPANESE WILL SURFACE RATHER THAN THE MARVEL TAKES OVER IN THE WHOLE PROJECTS.

WATTAHECK, WADOTHINK HAPPEN IN THIS TIE UP?
WE WILL EXPECT DUMB DIALOGUES LIKE WE ALWAYS SEEN IN A LOT OF MARVEL'S COMICS & CARTOON SERIES.
WE WILL EXPECT SHALLOW DUMB-ASSES STORYLINE & CONCEPT LIKE AFRO SAMURAI.

HOPEFULLY IT HAS DEEPER STORIES, NO DUMB, DRY & SHALLOW STORYLINE. JUST LEAVE THE ORIGINAL CHARACTER TO MARVEL, BUT EVERYTHING MUST BE ON THE JAPANESE STUDIO ESP ON THE PLOT & STORYLINE, SET DESIGN ETC.

THIS MIGHT BE ANOTHER TRASH LIKE AFRO SAMURAI IF YOU LET/ ACCEPT ALL THE IDEAS THAT STAN LEE SUGGEST, JUST LIKE SAMUEL L JACKSON ON AFRO SAMURAI.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
letniinside wrote:

AS WE ALL KNOW THAT MARVEL & A LOT OF AMERICAN GRAPHIC NOVEL HAS THE MOST CORNIEST, CHEESIEST, SILLIEST, & HORRIBLE STORYLINES & DIALOGUES. EG. ALL MARVEL'S COMICS & CARTOONS

HOPEFULLY IN THIS COLLABORATION, THE JAPANESE WILL SURFACE RATHER THAN THE MARVEL TAKES OVER IN THE WHOLE PROJECTS.

WE WILL EXPECT DUMB DIALOGUES LIKE WE ALWAYS SEEN IN A LOT OF MARVEL'S COMICS & CARTOON SERIES.

HOPEFULLY IT HAS DEEPER STORIES, NO DUMB, DRY & SHALLOW STORYLINE. JUST LEAVE THE ORIGINAL CHARACTER TO MARVEL, BUT EVERYTHING MUST BE ON THE JAPANESE STUDIO ESP ON THE PLOT & STORYLINE, SET DESIGN ETC.

THIS MIGHT BE ANOTHER TRASH LIKE AFRO SAMURAI IF YOU LET/ ACCEPT ALL THE IDEAS THAT STAN LEE SUGGEST, JUST LIKE SAMUEL L JACKSON ON AFRO SAMURAI.

Some one needs to calm down a bit. I happen to find Marvel and DC comics to be fairly comparable to most shonen titles, so if Marvel were to go deeper in the Japanese market there would be an influence as it travels both ways. And we don't fully know how involved Marvel will be in this deal are they just licensing the characters or are they financing it? A big difference between the too concepts there.
letniinside

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well, maybe DC and Shueisha could team up or something. I would love to see Superman designed by Akira Toriyama.

yeah, that would be called UGLY.
Have you seen dragonball? Blue Dragon anime? Horrible UGLINESS....

If you really want akira toriyama to involve in superman, he must redone the whole superman story. Akira is not good in drawings but he has a creative mind (story concepts).

If you're that in love with akira... reality check... get out in your room & go to school or have a job.

There's a lot of mangaka out there who draws much better than toriyama.
eg. Kubo Tite (Bleach), obata takeshi (Death Note, Bakuman, Blue dragon ral grad)

Enough with collaboration with US-Japan studios.
Have seen Afro Samurai? that's the result, HORRIBLENESS TO THE MAX-INFINITE.
Hopefully the tatsunuko-marvel tie up will not end like AFRO SAMURAI- TOTAL NO BRAINERS.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
You must not be familiar with collaboration then as anime has been financed by the NA market. Some examples,

Afro Samurai (Which actually is a fairly traditional story, authored in Japan....)
The Big O season 2
Batman: Gotham Knight
Ninja Scroll: Ressurection
Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust

I mean sure Afro Samurai's story is neither unique or original. It's a very traditional samurai story, one of revenge. But it makes up for it in style, in spades.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
letniinside wrote:

Some one needs to calm down a bit. I happen to find Marvel and DC comics to be fairly comparable to most shonen titles, so if Marvel were to go deeper in the Japanese market there would be an influence as it travels both ways. And we don't fully know how involved Marvel will be in this deal are they just licensing the characters or are they financing it? A big difference between the too concepts there.

Please don't feed the troll. This will continue to promote senseless and incoherent rambling that follows no logical course.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
So did I read that right, there's going to be some sort of crossover anime with Marvel and Tatsunoko? If soo, TOO cool.

The funny thing is, they've BOTH worked with Capcom. I had heard that at one time Capcom was interested in making Marvel vs Capcom vs DC but that never worked out. Maybe there's a chance we'll see Marvel vs Capcom vs Tatsunoko instead. Oh man...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2