×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media's Blue Dragon Anime Now Available on the iTunes Store




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GaryPotter



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Popular... Rolling Eyes

Yeah right. That show is almost the opposite. Viz should just give up like they always do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
nobody was paying it any attention when it was free (not that it deserves any) so what makes Viz think they will give a damn when they have to pay money?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaryPotter



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
It's a decent enough show, but Viz's changed music plus overediting just killed it for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7912
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
It's a decent enough show, but Viz's changed music plus overediting just killed it for me.


I just clicked on your "post history" and pretty much everything you say is some kind of knock at Viz.

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't kick you out for single-issue trolling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 4663
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
It's a decent enough show, but Viz's changed music plus overediting just killed it for me.

From what I've seen/heard, most of Viz's editing is not only justified, it gives the show whatever little redeeming value it has. I mean, the games are decidedly E-rated affairs, right? And from what I understand, the show would be too...if not for the ten-year-old girl with the huge rack who goes around stripping to turn invisible and gets felt up by monsters. Seriously, no one needs that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14813
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
GaryPotter wrote:
It's a decent enough show, but Viz's changed music plus overediting just killed it for me.

From what I've seen/heard, most of Viz's editing is not only justified, it gives the show whatever little redeeming value it has. I mean, the games are decidedly E-rated affairs, right? And from what I understand, the show would be too...if not for the ten-year-old girl with the huge rack who goes around stripping to turn invisible and gets felt up by monsters. Seriously, no one needs that.


Yep, Microsoft intended it to be an all-ages phenomenon that would sweep the world for the Xbox360............ till the Japanese studio pervs threw them a curve such that it has to be edited for Western markets........... and thus, the best laid plans of mice and men --> epic fail! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaryPotter



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GaryPotter wrote:
It's a decent enough show, but Viz's changed music plus overediting just killed it for me.


I just clicked on your "post history" and pretty much everything you say is some kind of knock at Viz.

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't kick you out for single-issue trolling.

Because I'm not trolling. I'm just expressing my opinion. Which I was under the impression that I have the right to do on this forum. Heck, opinions are touted as facts a lot of times on here, it seems.

In any event, my dislike of Blue Dragon's edited releases has nothing to do with the content. I oppose it because it's not true to the original. Nothing more than that.

Also, the game was rated T.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the point Zac was trying to make is that you are unnecessarily bashing a company repeatedly. Viz does earn SOME of the flack it gets, but it is not the worst R1 company. I don't think much could be done to salvage a show where, as I keep hearing, A TEN YEAR OLD WITH PORN STAR SIZED BOOBS GETS NAKED AND FELT UP BY INVISIBLE MONSTERS...OR SOMETHING. I mean can you really do anything with that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
GaryPotter



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying they were wrong for editing it for TV. It's just on DVD, it's fair to expect things to be uncut. And it's not just "that" thing. It's the changed music, the violence edits, and the stupid opening. Those are all factors too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
They were trying to sell it to kids on TV, hence why they're doing the same on DVD. Of course, they could release an uncut version, but the problem is parents would likely not know the difference and might inadvertently expose their kids to ten year old tits.

But hey, Yu-Gi-Oh got an uncut release (for like 3 volumes)! Where the biggest change was that they referred to their country formally as "Japan". Wow, that's reeeaaaallllyyyy uncut Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
GaryPotter



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Kids are not the main market for DVD releases. Anime fans and fans of the original are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14813
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:

In any event, my dislike of Blue Dragon's edited releases has nothing to do with the content. I oppose it because it's not true to the original. Nothing more than that.


Dude, the anime series is not true to the original game! (I've played the game and seen the anime.) If anything, the Blue Dragon game fans should stone the anime studio because if there's any beef, it should be from them! Maybe they should had opposed the anime from being made in the first place. Laughing


GaryPotter wrote:
Kids are not the main market for DVD releases. Anime fans and fans of the original are.


Depends on the target audience. Children's DVDs occupy a large portion of the overall DVD market - CN, Disney, and Nickelodeon sell millions of 'em. If a show gets on children's TV, there's a good chance the DVDs will sell to kids too. Marketing DVDs to children is a lucrative business.

In the case of Blue Dragon though, it's not really an in-demand item among anime fandom. Like Pokemon, the main targets for it are those familiar with the original game. But the Blue Dragon anime series alienated them with changes they didn't like, and so the anime lost its audience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaryPotter



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
You're right, children's DVDs are a lucrative market, but consider this. Blue Dragon was one the air on CN for what, two months? And just once a week to boot. Even though it was on Jetstream for a while, it didn't get that many hits. So it's safe to assume Blue Dragon DVDs wouldn't sell as well as other titles. Plus, I've been to over half a dozen stores that always sell obscure anime, and I have yet to see any Blue Dragon DVDs. So even if there exists some kid who wants to buy Blue Dragon, he's not going to find it. So the only way to get a hold of it is to order it online and who is most likely to do that? Anime fans who have credit cards.

See where I'm going with this?

My point is that Viz is alienating the very people who are most likely to buy their products, while at the same time not really gaining any customers to make up for it. I liked Blue Dragon. It certainly wasn't a masterpiece, but it was good for what it was. If uncut DVDs were made available to me, I'd gladly buy them. But they aren't. So Viz lost a potential customer. At the same time, if some kid's parents would object to Bouquet's rack, they probably won't let their kid buy any anime anyway. All I'm saying is that there isn't anything wrong with expected a DVD to be uncut. Expecially since Viz is the only anime company that still releases edited.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14813
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
You're right, children's DVDs are a lucrative market, but consider this. Blue Dragon was one the air on CN for what, two months? And just once a week to boot. Even though it was on Jetstream for a while, it didn't get that many hits. So it's safe to assume Blue Dragon DVDs wouldn't sell as well as other titles. Plus, I've been to over half a dozen stores that always sell obscure anime, and I have yet to see any Blue Dragon DVDs. So even if there exists some kid who wants to buy Blue Dragon, he's not going to find it. So the only way to get a hold of it is to order it online and who is most likely to do that? Anime fans who have credit cards.

See where I'm going with this?

My point is that Viz is alienating the very people who are most likely to buy their products, while at the same time not really gaining any customers to make up for it. I liked Blue Dragon. It certainly wasn't a masterpiece, but it was good for what it was. If uncut DVDs were made available to me, I'd gladly buy them. But they aren't. So Viz lost a potential customer. At the same time, if some kid's parents would object to Bouquet's rack, they probably won't let their kid buy any anime anyway. All I'm saying is that there isn't anything wrong with expected a DVD to be uncut. Expecially since Viz is the only anime company that still releases edited.


You have a point too. Do you think there's enough market?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group