• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream 3 Makoto Shinkai Works on 2/28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
uchuuace wrote:
3) Anyone can access the videos in 480P high definition regardless of their membership level.

480p is not high definition, that's standard definition. Please revise and try not to buff up your own site falsely from stuff like this, it only makes CR look incredibly stupid and amateur. We have screencaps of official CR stuff with redboxes marking all the wrong things, it's embarrassing. Just admit it's normal and move on. If you get 720p, then claim it, but if you continue to throw something like that around, then why don't we just call any definition HD from now on?

This is a site that claims to be run by a college kid doing it out of the goodness of his heart, what did you expect Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a rumour earlier, one which turned out to be false, that Bandai were re-releasing 5cm? Perhaps the fact that a new dub definitely exists will ultimately be good news for those who didn't manage to grab a copy of ADV's release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
One thing is for sure. If the new dub turns out to be complete shyte, ADV will have the equivalant of a rare jewel in their basement, Too bad they will not be able to make much money off it. Wink
amazingwind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
uchuuace wrote:
CoMix Wave Films is looking forward to people's feedback on it.

Cheers,

Rob

where do we give feedback?

i want adv's dub not a new one because it rocks my friend has the adv dvd and it is one of the best of last year

darkchibi07 wrote:
[since Key mentioned in his review that the English dub script varies little from the original subtitles so you can say the dub was pretty faithful.

that is why i am confused about this
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know, you seem to always defend the dub script no matter how far it strays from the original as well as condoning re-writing entire lines, which btw is not "translation". It's called making $hit up. If a fansub did the same you'd be jumping up and down in fits referring to Otaking and pointing out how untrustworthy the fansub translations are.

There are times when rewrites are NECESSARY. Remember that translation is NOT an exact science. In the instances of the Makoto Shinkai trilogy, the original lines might not have translated well, and so the rewrites were necessary. The lines still fit the work perfectly well.

Prove me wrong.
uchuuace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Little correction:

Start will be February 27th at 5:00PM PST
End will be February 28th at 5:00PM PST

Apologies for the mistake on the timing.

Please do enjoy not just the brand new English dubbed version of 5cm, but the all-new video transfer we've done as well.

Thanks,

Rob
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
You should also formally rescind your statement on 480p being high definition. Yes this is nit-picking, but it's a completely false claim. The most you could say is high quality, but even then it's just an empty phrase.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow I can't wait I hope they have it available on 720p on CR but I won't watch Voices of a Distant Star since I already own it....
xia83

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
That is sweet, because I always wanted to see 5 cm and i'll get my chance.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
your talking acceleration which was not what I meant since virtually everything that reaches your monitor has to be processed by your GPU and a crappy GPU will give you crappy results regardless of CPU or GPU processing the media initially
The cheapest integrated GPU and the most expensive SLI setup possible will give the exact same, down to the pixel, video output unless the user is running massively different codecs. Video is not 'rendered' like games are, it's decoded.
Quote:
3) Anyone can access the videos in 480P high definition regardless of their membership level.
Facepalm.

not by a country mile!

good cards do process video feed virtually any video that reaches the GPU which they must to even be passed on to your monitor at all.

Quote:
In addition to the 3D hardware, today's GPUs include basic 2D acceleration and framebuffer capabilities (usually with a VGA compatibility mode). In addition, most GPUs made since 1995 support the YUV color space and hardware overlays (important for digital video playback), and many GPUs made since 2000 support MPEG primitives such as motion compensation and iDCT. Recent graphics cards even decode high-definition video on the card, taking some load off the central processing unit.
souleater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You should also formally rescind your statement on 480p being high definition. Yes this is nit-picking, but it's a completely false claim. The most you could say is high quality, but even then it's just an empty phrase.

If you want to nit-pick, then you should also rescind your statement that 480p is standard definition; it's not. It lies somewhere between "standard definition" and "high definition", if you want to be precise. Calling 480p "high definition" is really a minor sin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
souleater wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If you want to nit-pick, then you should also rescind your statement that 480p is standard definition; it's not. It lies somewhere between "standard definition" and "high definition", if you want to be precise. Calling 480p "high definition" is really a minor sin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television

thats right since the current HD is 1080p yet 720p would still be accepted as HD just not up to HDTV standards 480p is kind of middle of the road.
uchuuace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
Hi All,

Hot off the presses (I literally just got the email from CoMix Wave Films 30 seconds ago), here is your cast for the new 5cm dub:

Johnny Yong Bosch as Takaki
Erika Weinstein as Akari
Kira Buckland as Kanae

Casting Drector: Kaeko Sakamoto
Production of New Dubbed version by Bang Zoom! Entertainment

Best,

Rob
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
not by a country mile!

good cards do process video feed virtually any video that reaches the GPU which they must to even be passed on to your monitor at all.
If a framebuffer or YUV->RGB colourspace conversion differs at all between any GPU, then that GPU is faulty, plain and simple. Buying a more expensive GPU will never, ever, give you better video quality. Especially for streamed content (which invariably looks pretty dodgy to start with).
fullmetaloutlaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Okay I just had to make a account, just to talk back to you people that seem to have it out for CR....first of all ANN didn't tell u all the details in the lil news about the shinkai day release......yes its 3 movies and it will run for 24 hours from firday evening to saturday evening.......its free for everyone in all of the regions, dont have to be a member at all to view and since its for shinkai day the standard video stream everyone gets is 480p......so everyone can watch it at 480p even though ur not a member and different regions have no problems gettting it either....besides the point, why are u people so steamed about this anyways? this is mostly for people that cant get anime easily like u and me...i mean in other countries there is no anime dvds or mangas for sale, i say anything that lets people become fans of anime in a legit way is alright by me....i mean ill even say it, i did not become a fan of anime, just buying dvd's and waiting for dubs on t.v....I did it like many people, DL and stream...i do buy dvd's...but only the good ones worth it.

Last edited by fullmetaloutlaw on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8