• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream 3 Makoto Shinkai Works on 2/28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
fullmetaloutlaw wrote:
Okay I just had to make a account, just to talk back to you people that seem to have it out for CR....first of all ANN didn't tell u all the details in the lil news about the shinkai day release......yes its 3 movies and it will run for 24 hours from firday evening to saturday evening.......its free for everyone in all of the regions, don't have to be a member at all to view and since its for shinkai day the standard video stream everyone gets is 480p......so everyone can watch it at 480p even though ur not a member and different regions have no problems gettting it either....

Except Japan Sad.
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
24hrs to go.

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I've watched 5 Centimeters Per Second during anime club, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Anime Milwaukee is this weekend, but I'll be sure to sneak in some Shinkai in there.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
BrianaTheBard wrote:
I've watched 5 Centimeters Per Second during anime club, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Anime Milwaukee is this weekend, but I'll be sure to sneak in some Shinkai in there.

Playing a film like that at a club, considering the effect it can have, must have made things feel a little uneasy in the 'drying up' period.
I haven't turned up to anime night for over a year, so I don't know if getting emotional amongst others when watching is commonplace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I picked up the DVD from ADV and I thought that the movie was extremely well done - definitely masterpiece on ANN's rating system. However, I am at least somewhat sorry for having seen it just because it's so insanely depressing. Everything about it is well done, but it's definitely a sad story.

As for the dub, I though that ADV's dub was great. I had no complaints about it. Hopefully the new cast did a good job, but I think that it's a pity that the original dub wasn't kept. I would have thought that it would be cheaper to buy the old dub from ADV (since I assume that that's what they'd have to do to get the original dub) than to make a new one and it certainly would have helped ADV (and they need all the help they can get at this point), but maybe there were some legal issues which made it impossible to do so.

In either case, I found the story depressing enough that I'm not sure if I'm ever going to watch the DVD of it that I have of it ever again, let alone buy it when Bandai puts it out on DVD again. Shelling out money for it once was already more than enough. However, It's great that more people will be able to have access to it now though since ADV's version isn't really available now.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little apprehensive about the new dub Confused
I too had no qualms about the adv dub, and Johnny Bosch has very little voice variation. I guess I'll watch and see.
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll watch the new dub. I really like ADV's though (mmm, Serena Varghese...)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
johnny is overrated greatly but Akari's new VA was awesome as Saya in seirei so ill watch this even tho i just watched my dvd the other day
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Watched from an AMV so this show I'll watch for the hell of it because of emotional story, I hope it wont bored me to tears and try to comprehend to what Bang Zoom Dubbing would like.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Quote:
You know, you seem to always defend the dub script no matter how far it strays from the original as well as condoning re-writing entire lines, which btw is not "translation". It's called making $hit up. If a fansub did the same you'd be jumping up and down in fits referring to Otaking and pointing out how untrustworthy the fansub translations are.

There are times when rewrites are NECESSARY. Remember that translation is NOT an exact science. In the instances of the Makoto Shinkai trilogy, the original lines might not have translated well, and so the rewrites were necessary. The lines still fit the work perfectly well.

Prove me wrong.

...The fact that Comix Wave ordered a complete do-over on the dub because the lines didn't fit the work perfectly well isn't proof enough?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
As for the dub, I though that ADV's dub was great. I had no complaints about it. Hopefully the new cast did a good job, but I think that it's a pity that the original dub wasn't kept. I would have thought that it would be cheaper to buy the old dub from ADV

I also wonder why they decided to spend money on producing another dub for 5cm, because even I thought it'd be cheaper to keep the old one, especially one that was well-done to begin with.

Regardless, they seemed to make some good choices with the new dub, such as Johnny Yong Bosch, and I'll always know Erika Weinstein best as Reki from Haibane Renmei. If it ever comes to DVD, I guess I'll have two versions in my DVD library.
souleater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought it turned out really great, and the quality was awesome Very Happy

Yay shinkai day!
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Quote:
You know, you seem to always defend the dub script no matter how far it strays from the original as well as condoning re-writing entire lines, which btw is not "translation". It's called making $hit up. If a fansub did the same you'd be jumping up and down in fits referring to Otaking and pointing out how untrustworthy the fansub translations are.

There are times when rewrites are NECESSARY. Remember that translation is NOT an exact science. In the instances of the Makoto Shinkai trilogy, the original lines might not have translated well, and so the rewrites were necessary. The lines still fit the work perfectly well.

Prove me wrong.

...The fact that Comix Wave ordered a complete do-over on the dub because the lines didn't fit the work perfectly well isn't proof enough?

Saying something's a fact doesn't make it one.

The lines DID fit the work perfectly; ADV's dub was perfectly fine; that settles it. They could've just saved the money and used the already existing dub instead of making a new one.

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!
souleater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote

Saying something's a fact doesn't make it one.

The lines DID fit the work perfectly; ADV's dub was perfectly fine; that settles it. They could've just saved the money and used the already existing dub instead of making a new one.

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

Then its most likely legal issues that is preventing ComixWave from using the ADV dub, yeah? Thats the most logical explanation
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Quote:

Prove me wrong.

Where does CW say that? Post a link with a statement or press release or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8