• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiroshima Asked to Stop Using Barefoot Gen Manga in Schools

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
soratsubsa wrote:
i don't know if the war was good or not but thanks to that war that japan become a great country and a great nation because they bengining making anime and manga to make the people happy but too to make remeber the horrors of the war so i think its very idea that the mang should be teached nd i don't think that there is culprit for the war i think is everyone fault maybe for fighting battle than only its the convenience of politics and governments looking for power
Very true. I think it can be agreed that every country did something horrible during WWII, and nobody was innocent except for the civilians caught in the crossfire.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I've read Barefoot Gen, and they are right, it is one-sided, because it is not covering the politics of the time as seen by the world leaders but by a person on the ground, and for all the people who were nothing but victims of the war, there really isn't much to be seen in the other side.
I'm damn curious as to what they would recommend as "politically neutral" considering how most texts on war that aren't outright propaganda often take the side of war as hell.

And Apollo-kun, I am so not getting into this argument on an ANN forum, but there is a hell of a lot more to the munition sales to Allied countries then simple "profiteering" along with the knowledge about the capabilities of the Atomic Bombs at the time. There were certainly no angels in that war, and let's leave it at that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Very true. I think it can be agreed that every country did something horrible during WWII, and nobody was innocent except for the civilians caught in the crossfire.

I'm a New Zealander and would like you to point out where my country committed war crimes. I'm pretty sure any Finns would rightfully defend their country too, seeing as how the Soviet Union invaded it out of sheer dickery. If you define "horrible" as shooting people who invade your country then that's a pretty loose definition.

Can we just end this general talk of World War 2? A bunch of ultra-right nationalists in Japan want to re-write history by denying schoolkids to be shown a famous semi-autobiographical account of the Hiroshima bombing. That is what this thread should be about. Not whose grandpas were in the right or wrong.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

I'm a New Zealander and would like you to point out where my country committed war crimes. I'm pretty sure any Finns would rightfully defend their country too, seeing as how the Soviet Union invaded it out of sheer dickery. If you define "horrible" as shooting people who invade your country then that's a pretty loose definition.

Can we just end this general talk of World War 2? A bunch of ultra-right nationalists in Japan want to re-write history by denying schoolkids to be shown a famous semi-autobiographical account of the Hiroshima bombing. That is what this thread should be about. Not whose grandpas were in the right or wrong.
Okay, a lot of countries. You're right, this is a sensitive topic, and I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm done.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
I've read Barefoot Gen, and they are right, it is one-sided, because it is not covering the politics of the time as seen by the world leaders but by a person on the ground, and for all the people who were nothing but victims of the war, there really isn't much to be seen in the other side.
I'm damn curious as to what they would recommend as "politically neutral" considering how most texts on war that aren't outright propaganda often take the side of war as hell.

And Apollo-kun, I am so not getting into this argument on an ANN forum, but there is a hell of a lot more to the munition sales to Allied countries then simple "profiteering" along with the knowledge about the capabilities of the Atomic Bombs at the time. There were certainly no angels in that war, and let's leave it at that.
You're right, which is what I clarified in my other posts, admitting that my initial post was very one-sided. Again, I apologize for drudging up such a sensitive topic on ANN forums, and I'm done. Caput.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
These are crazed pro-war right wing extremists.

The counterpoint is very brief:

In "Barefoot Gen", the author actually shows a very "neutral" position on events. He shows the horror of atomic warfare and the suffering the civilians went through...but he doesn't explicitly blame the United States for this (he isn't fond of the bombing of course).

He makes it a point that Gen's father is against the war, his father says that Japan's corrupt leaders themselves started the war to oppress other people in Asia....and he points out that the Japanese military made a news blackout about Hiroshima, for fear that the public would demand peace on hearing of the A-bomb.......the result was that major cities weren't evacuated nor did they take extra bomb drill measures, and as a direct result, Nagasaki had no idea what nuclear weapons were when it was bombed. He treats that as the Japanese government's fault for not wanting to tell people the war was assuredly lost.

In closing,

1 - Barefoot Gen was a refreshingly even-handed look at the Hiroshima bombing, and entirely "neutral" (the part you feel bad about is that Gen's father died in the bombing, and he didn't even support the war, and indeed Gen was facing harsh treatment at school for his father's anti-war sentiments.)

2 - As "Update 2" pointed out, these people are basically saying they don't like films which portray nuclear bombs as a "bad thing"....I doubt they're even angry about the parts where Gen's father points out that the Japanese military-dominated totalitarian government brought this upon its own population by fighting wars of aggression.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to simply say this, "It's not the people that start wars, it's a goverment that looses control that starts wars."
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Okay, a lot of countries. You're right, this is a sensitive topic, and I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm done.

Thank you. I appreciate this.
dannavy85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born

As an American who's relations lived through that war and who's stories are as fresh to me now as they were when I was a child, I am ashamed at you.

Japan put itself into the disaster it suffered, not the other way around. Aparently they don't teach history at schools any more but mindless America hating propaganda. Perhaps you should be dragged around the Pacific and given an in your face lesson on Japanese attrocities in China, in the Phillipines, in Thailand, in Malaya?

I'm not ashamed. Japan would not be where it is today without the American occupation. Imagine if we'd turned them over to the Russians in 1945, ever heard of the rape of Berlin? Obviously not since you're probably a toddler compared to my age.

Before you spout this ashame garbage youngster, you better know what the hell you're complaining about.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I never read the manga, but I watched the two anime and read the fully-autobiographical I Saw It. I also agree that it already took a neutral point of view. It was about a young boy just trying to stay alive in a never-before-seen hell.

In my experience in college in Japan, I would say this is one of the top three topics never to talk about. The Japanese young people seemed to be totally oblivious to any atrocities that Japan had committee prior to that bombing. They also incorrectly assumed that I, as an American, approved of the bombings. And strangely, most of them had no idea Nagasaki was also bombed.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
dannavy85 wrote:
Quote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born

As an American who's relations lived through that war and who's stories are as fresh to me now as they were when I was a child, I am ashamed at you.

Japan put itself into the disaster it suffered, not the other way around. Aparently they don't teach history at schools any more but mindless America hating propaganda. Perhaps you should be dragged around the Pacific and given an in your face lesson on Japanese attrocities in China, in the Phillipines, in Thailand, in Malaya?

I'm not ashamed. Japan would not be where it is today without the American occupation. Imagine if we'd turned them over to the Russians in 1945, ever heard of the rape of Berlin? Obviously not since you're probably a toddler compared to my age.

Before you spout this ashame garbage youngster, you better know what the hell you're complaining about.
Please read the rest of my posts before being insulting, derogatory, and rude. I admitted that nobody was really innocent when it came to the conflict, and that Japan did a lot to instigate the conflict and stir up other countries. I also admitted that they were notoriously brutal to POWs.

EDIT: Using your age as a leg-up on me in terms of knowledge is also quite mean-spirited, considering my grandfather lived through WWII as did many of my older family members. Insinuating that I haven't heard of the Rape of Berlin simply because I'm younger is really presumptuous, because you're assuming that I don't like to learn things and make myself more cultured. Disagreeing with me is fine, but being confrontational and rude, and saying because I'm a "toddler" compared to you, I don't know certain key historical events? Come on, man. Not cool.

Through all of this, my father's advice to never bring up religion and/or politics in normal conversation is becoming all too clear... :I
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I never read the manga, but I watched the two anime and read the fully-autobiographical I Saw It. I also agree that it already took a neutral point of view. It was about a young boy just trying to stay alive in a never-before-seen hell.

In my experience in college in Japan, I would say this is one of the top three topics never to talk about. The Japanese young people seemed to be totally oblivious to any atrocities that Japan had committee prior to that bombing. They also incorrectly assumed that I, as an American, approved of the bombings. And strangely, most of them had no idea Nagasaki was also bombed.

I presume these are the same youths who wear t-shirts with Swastikas and Hitler's face with no real knowledge of what they mean. There are definite problems with the education system in Japan concerning WWII.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
mrsatan wrote:

I presume these are the same youths who wear t-shirts with Swastikas and Hitler's face with no real knowledge of what they mean. There are definite problems with the education system in Japan concerning WWII.
I've always wondered about that in Japan, honestly. From pictures I've seen, and various references in anime, the Holocaust, Nazism and Hitler himself seem to not be very taboo topics. In America, one reference to any of those three things and whatever somebody is saying might as well be DITW.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Sewing:
Quote:

If you were a victim of firebombing and nukes in your neighborhood, you'd be "one-sided", too. Rolling Eyes

_V_: It's my belief that the Japanese government was willing to let the A-bomb happen so they could make it easier to run like rats from the sinking ship.

Quote:
As "Update 2" pointed out, these people are basically saying they don't like films which portray nuclear bombs as a "bad thing"....

Well, I hope they're in the line of sights when we go toe-to-toe with Iran and China next.

dannavy: Well, the thing about this is that I probably would've hated on Japan entirely, I just read that we pardoned and/or covered for certain war criminals in exchange for germ warfare info. In that case, it's typical American "do as we say, not as we do" bs.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
I was going to reply to the rest of the post, but it is a little off topic. Suffice it to say that any defending the Allies' actions needs to consider whether the refusal to talk terms(and the resultant, staggering cost to the entire world) was really justifiable.
dannavy85 wrote:
Many critics know exactly what they're talking about - digging up what actually happened is a great way to tear down the idea that a given undertaking was noble or special. A lack of research is a more usual tactic of those who want to romanticize something, be it a war, time period, people or what have you[1].

Which ties into what Atomic Bomb Survivors Seeking Peace and Security is trying to do: hiding facts to whitewash Japanese history. If one seeks to whet people's appetite for "national greatness" and war, hiding the cost is a major requirement.

[1]For a less hot-button example, see the Trobriand Islanders' Kula: meaningless gift exchange or a quest for bragging rights?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4