• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The World Warriors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Ah Chrono Break, I haven't heard that name in years. It's a shame Square Enix was never able to license that game, if such game actually existed.

I haven't played a Sonic game I could really enjoy since Genesis. Sonic and Knuckles was a fun and enjoyable game, but Sonic with a sword seems to Legend of Zelda to me. What ever happened to Donkey Kong and Super Mario? Have they become forgotten over the last twenty plus years?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Ah Chrono Break, I haven't heard that name in years. It's a shame Square Enix was never able to license that game, if such game actually existed.

I haven't played a Sonic game I could really enjoy since Genesis. Sonic and Knuckles was a fun and enjoyable game, but Sonic with a sword seems to Legend of Zelda to me. What ever happened to Donkey Kong and Super Mario? Have they become forgotten over the last twenty plus years?

You know, what I REALLY want is a crossover game featuring Mario and Sonic. Not a crappy Olympics game. Not a free-for-all fighting game. An action/adventure game. And just to be safe, neither Nintendo R&D nor Sonic Team will be allowed to develop it. In an ideal world it would be in Capcom's hands, because Capcom is the only 3rd party Japanese developer worth a damn these days.
jajuka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
In this age of downloadable content I'd be surprised if there WEREN'T any extra characters available for either marketplaces in SFIV!

Border break reminded me of how much money I wasted on
L.A. Machine Guns: Rage of the Machines... Now there's a sequel I'd be looking forward to!
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
STREEEET FIGHTER IV! Is awesome. Though it was hilarious how he bitched about inconsequential stuff to make it seem more like a "review" than "glowing unadulterated praise", which is what the game deserves. Freaking fight pads, selling out in the first week...

Sonic needs to go away, for real. He's past his prime, and Sonic Team has lost their magic. He can't even reinvigorate the franchise in creative or interesting ways like Nintendo does with their mainstays. Sonic with a SWORD. That just screams "Please make the agony stop, PLEASE!".

No, I think he's right about that. SF IV is good for what it is, but doesn't do much to impress when they only introduce a few new characters. On top of this, the controls are extremely bad. I haven't had that uncomfortable of a feeling playing a fighter since Brawl and playing on the wii mote. Ok bad example, but you should get what I'm talking about. The 360 is probably the worst controller of them all. The d-pad is extremely delicate, and it's troublesome doing some of the ultra's just because of this fact, and the joy stick is not even worth mentioning. On top of this, the bumpers/triggers used as you high kick/punch and combination kick/punch make for some of the most awkward controls yet.

And I don't think he's given it enough blasting as it is; What about the fact that the story pretty much goes against anything that's happened in the past? Ryu's still struggling with the Dark Hadou (I thought SF III was him honing his own skills, over coming this in SF II?), and spoiler[ Gouken's still alive with the dumb excuse of being in a coma. You can pretty much slap yourself silly if you've mistaken your master's death for a coma for the last couple years...].

The Videos/Anime are just low end too. Honestly, it wouldn't have killed to aim a little bit higher...

And last but not least, the SE was garbage. The figure was worse then your gasphoons, and the Audio CD doesn't even have the OP (which is maybe a good thing). Oh an I'm not sure about the PS3's bluray dvd... whyI didn't get it for ps3 I don't know... but the 360's dvd for the animated movie is only playable on the 360 console. Talk about a slap on the face.

So in all...get this game if you love fighters. But if you're really expecting something great, you might just be disappointed. Rolling Eyes
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
jajuka wrote:
In this age of downloadable content I'd be surprised if there WEREN'T any extra characters available for either marketplaces in SFIV!

Border break reminded me of how much money I wasted on
L.A. Machine Guns: Rage of the Machines... Now there's a sequel I'd be looking forward to!

People are hinting that Dee Jay and T. Hawk will be in the next DLC, because Ono did note that they actually had some work done on the characters for SF IV and had even mapped out the moves for one of the characters. Of course, it might not happen, but people are betting that if enough fandom pulls through, they might just show up Smile
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the first MMORPG for Atlus in the West

Do you mean it was created exclusively for a Western market? Cause there already is a Shin Megami Tensei MMORPG.
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
RedHotFunk wrote:

No, I think he's right about that. SF IV is good for what it is, but doesn't do much to impress when they only introduce a few new characters. On top of this, the controls are extremely bad. I haven't had that uncomfortable of a feeling playing a fighter since Brawl and playing on the wii mote. Ok bad example, but you should get what I'm talking about. The 360 is probably the worst controller of them all. The d-pad is extremely delicate, and it's troublesome doing some of the ultra's just because of this fact, and the joy stick is not even worth mentioning. On top of this, the bumpers/triggers used as you high kick/punch and combination kick/punch make for some of the most awkward controls yet.

Yes the construction of Microsoft's joypad is clearly the game's fault. I sure do hate when I boot up a game and it transform's my joypad...wait a second. Why not just buy a) an arcade stick, b) one of the fightpads, c) a saturn usb bootleg off ebay, etc. In general I also think the complaint of "Oh noes not enough new characters" is over-privileged fan whining. Considering how long its been since Capcom brought out a new SF game Im just happy to see a good new game and its clearly the best fiscal choice to go with a cast accessible to casual gamers. The shit sales of the SFIII series is proof enough of that.

RedHotFunk wrote:

And I don't think he's given it enough blasting as it is; What about the fact that the story pretty much goes against anything that's happened in the past? Ryu's still struggling with the Dark Hadou (I thought SF III was him honing his own skills, over coming this in SF II?),

Yeah its almost like it's set before SF III... oh wait they said its set before SF III. Chronologically IV comes between II and III.

RedHotFunk wrote:

And last but not least, the SE was garbage. The figure was worse then your gasphoons, and the Audio CD doesn't even have the OP (which is maybe a good thing). Oh an I'm not sure about the PS3's bluray dvd... whyI didn't get it for ps3 I don't know... but the 360's dvd for the animated movie is only playable on the 360 console. Talk about a slap on the face.

I do however mostly agree with this. I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the figures.
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing SF4 for pretty much the entire past week. It's excellent, but there is as much to complain about as any other game, and I don't see why people shouldn't bitch. It seems like anticipation, nostalgia, and Capcom's extensive marketing trump all in discussion on this game.

The DLC costumes are lazy: exactly the kind of thing every single other 3D fighting game offers up free of charge. They verge on being horse armor. They're needlessly arranged into packs, so that you're forced to buy costumes Capcom knows you don't want. Worse still, the pack you get for free with the Collector's Edition is the one-- Haggar cosplay aside-- that you probably wanted the least.

Speaking of the CE, it blows. Just throwing that out there. The Viper figure looks like a bootleg, the DLC is outright stingy, and the anime (in the movie and ingame) is the shame of Studio 4c. The rest is fluff.
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Uthred wrote:
RedHotFunk wrote:

Yes the construction of Microsoft's joypad is clearly the game's fault. I sure do hate when I boot up a game and it transform's my joypad...wait a second. Why not just buy a) an arcade stick, b) one of the fightpads, c) a saturn usb bootleg off ebay, etc. In general I also think the complaint of "Oh noes not enough new characters" is over-privileged fan whining. Considering how long its been since Capcom brought out a new SF game Im just happy to see a good new game and its clearly the best fiscal choice to go with a cast accessible to casual gamers. The shit sales of the SFIII series is proof enough of that.

Oh snap, you're saying I should dish out another $60 for a decent game pad? That's bright. 'Cause wasting cash on that horrible SE wasn't bad enough. Rolling Eyes. And yes, it would be M$'s fault for constructing a bad joy pad. Why in the hell wouldn't it be? If it's poor to begin with, who else is to blame but the manufacturer and those who worked on the original concept design? Sure, they learned from the mistake of the first xbox's behemoth controller, but aside from how well the joysticks work, the controller still falls short in almost every other department, especially with its flimsy dpad.

And over privileged fan whining? No, I just expect a bit of hard work for someone to release a game after so many years being left in the dusk. Being out and about is not an excuse for falling short of what fans would come to expect with a new release. But hey, maybe expecting a little bit more from my sequels is too much to ask for...

And Dont get me wrong, SF IV is still fun for what it is. I just think they cut a bit short on certain aspects.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, fans are a bitchy, whiny bunch, even game fans. I'd rather SFIV be how it is, returning to the roots of the gameplay and giving us most of the original fighters with some interesting additions, than that emo garbage Squeenix is shoving down our throats these days. OOH, LOOK, I'M A PENCIL-THIN ANDROGYNOUS TWAT WHO'S OVERCOMPENSATING FOR SOMETHING AND LIKES TO WHINE AND FEEL SORRY FOR HIMSELF AND GIVE EVERYONE THE SILENT TREATMENT!

At least Capcom still deserves respect, what with all the good stuff they've been pumping out lately.

And seriously, bitching about the DLC costumes? No one's forcing you to download them. They're completely ancillary and don't detract from the experience if you DON'T have them.

Oh well, this crybaby generation was raised on fighting games that could be won by randomly smacking the buttons (I'm looking at you, NAMCO), but I can at least appreciate some old school goodness.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
I'd rather them try harder to make a real sonic game and not these pathetic off shoots.

Take Mario 64 or Sunshine as a starting point, let him punch, run, crawl, jump,ect give him a stamina gauge for speed and one for slow mo(so you can control said speed) and let him at it. They are trying far to hard to to get away from what sonic is.

I agree- I harbor a secret fantasy about busting down the door at the next Sonic development meeting, kicking over the white board covered with ideas about a free-roaming sandbox game were Sonic takes jobs from Knuckles and has to outrun Eggman's robots (and sneaking in a 'hot ring' option), and stapling a posterboard to the wall that says 'run FAST' in the hopes they'll figure it out.

The newest Sonic game I own is Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I think I played it for about an hour total. (I have no issues playing the crap out of my genesis Sonic games, though. Very Happy )

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh well, this crybaby generation was raised on fighting games that could be won by randomly smacking the buttons (I'm looking at you, NAMCO)...

I rather enjoy Soul Calibur, myself...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Soul Calibur is fun...it's just that Tekken pretty much jumpstarted the trend of fighting games that only require you to either press the face buttons or locate the "Throw" trigger. I guess I have more respect for the precision and skill required in 2D games. I mean DOA is mindless fun, for example, but it is in no way a serious or balanced fighting game.

The first Sonic Adventure games were OK, but from what I hear the 3D Sonics just kept spiraling downwards from Heroes and such onward. If Mario, Link, and Samus could make the transition to 3D with minimal cuts and bruises, why can't Sonic?

Of course, Sega probably stopped giving a damn when they lost their last console war (of course, if it hadn't been for their unfit-to-guide-an-entire-corporation foreign branch making stupid decisions...but that's a long story not worth getting into here).
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
RedHotFunk wrote:
People are hinting that Dee Jay and T. Hawk will be in the next DLC, because Ono did note that they actually had some work done on the characters for SF IV and had even mapped out the moves for one of the characters.
He came out and said if people want it, he'll try to bring. So if you want Adon, Eagle, Birdie, or even R. Mika and her flying butt of doom, they just got to ask. They might be add as a part of the rumored Street Fighter 4: Champion Edition, as long as they don't go beyond that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Overlord Z-ko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Yahtzee from The Escapist's Zero Punctuation column wrote:
"Sonic is done, he's past it, he doesn't need more games, he needs help, specifically the kind of help that involves taking him behind the shed and tearfully putting both barrels through his confused oblivious little face, stuff him, mount him, re-purpose him as a litter picking device.

Seriously, can they stop with the Sonic games already? Just leave us to our Genesis memories. Yeah, sorry that the first thing I noticed was that Sonic has already come out with another game, but it's starting to annoy me really.

Sonic has had some decent newer games. The Sonic Advance and Rush series were both pretty good. When people start bashing the new Sonic games they always seem to forget the handheld ones which most of them aren't bad at all.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
RedHotFunk wrote:
People are hinting that Dee Jay and T. Hawk will be in the next DLC, because Ono did note that they actually had some work done on the characters for SF IV and had even mapped out the moves for one of the characters.
He came out and said if people want it, he'll try to bring. So if you want Adon, Eagle, Birdie, or even R. Mika and her flying butt of doom, they just got to ask. They might be add as a part of the rumored Street Fighter 4: Champion Edition, as long as they don't go beyond that.

As long as they don't shoe in characters from the decent-but-underwhelming EX series...though I'm surprised Dee Jay and Hawk weren't in the initial release. They had Cammy and Fei Long, so why not put in all of the New Challengers? Also I could totally go for some SF3 characters as DLC
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3