• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The World Warriors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
RedHotFunk wrote:

Oh snap, you're saying I should dish out another $60 for a decent game pad? That's bright. 'Cause wasting cash on that horrible SE wasn't bad enough. Rolling Eyes. And yes, it would be M$'s fault for constructing a bad joy pad. Why in the hell wouldn't it be? If it's poor to begin with, who else is to blame but the manufacturer and those who worked on the original concept design? Sure, they learned from the mistake of the first xbox's behemoth controller, but aside from how well the joysticks work, the controller still falls short in almost every other department, especially with its flimsy dpad.

Im sorry that your reading comprehension isnt sufficient to correctly parse either your original post or my reply to it. You complained that the controls are really bad and expanded on that by conflating the controls with the 360 joypad. The controls are a factor of the game the controller an issue with microsoft. So yes it clearly is Microsoft's fault that their controller is crap, but in your original post you blamed (perhaps unintentionally) Capcom for it. If you dont want to be mis-understood perhaps you should be clearer in your attempts to communicate.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Soul Calibur is fun...it's just that Tekken pretty much jumpstarted the trend of fighting games that only require you to either press the face buttons or locate the "Throw" trigger. I guess I have more respect for the precision and skill required in 2D games. I mean DOA is mindless fun, for example, but it is in no way a serious or balanced fighting game.

This comments shows a shocking level of ignorance surrounding the mechanics of mainstream 3d-fighters on both a casual and tournament level.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
As long as they don't shoe in characters from the decent-but-underwhelming EX series...though I'm surprised Dee Jay and Hawk weren't in the initial release. They had Cammy and Fei Long, so why not put in all of the New Challengers? Also I could totally go for some SF3 characters as DLC

Cammy was included because a poll was held on which characters people want included and she received more votes than every other character combined. I imagine Fei Long also scored highly. Though I'd certainly like to see additional characters included as DLC.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
No offense, but you can throw all the "mechanics" and "depth" around that you want...something is seriously broken when some n00b can completely whoop a self-proclaimed "master" who's spent hours in practice mode perfecting his game by banging on the buttons at complete random. Street Fighter, thankfully, never degenerated to that.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
RedHotFunk wrote:
Oh an I'm not sure about the PS3's bluray dvd... whyI didn't get it for ps3 I don't know... but the 360's dvd for the animated movie is only playable on the 360 console. Talk about a slap on the face.

You had to have seen that coming. Standard DVD's don't support HD.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Only 5 new characters in SF4? I kinda thought Gouken was considered a new playable character...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Only 5 new characters in SF4? I kinda thought Gouken was considered a new playable character...

Kind of reminds me of EGM's April Fool's where they said you could fight Sheng Long in Turbo, if I remember correctly. I can't help but feel Gouken's official design was partially inspired by the character seen in those (very convincingly) doctored shots. Still the BEST April Fool's prank they ever did, and it was one of the most controversial.

Yeah, part of me does feel that the "asleep" thing was a cop-out, especially since, according to what canon there is for the characters, the Shun Goku Satsu IS fatal if used to its fullest extent, since it involves putting maximum pressure on all the pressure points or some such. I mean according to the official line apparently Akuma killed Bison's then-current body in Super Turbo...whatever, I don't make up the convoluted stories for these games.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Dan beating up Blanka...what's wrong with this pic?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
I'm already playing one "four", Persona 4, and will hopefully pick up a second "four" within the next week, Star Ocean 4, but I doubt I'll even bother renting Street Fighter IV as I don't have a proper arcade stick for my XBox 360 and I just honestly could never get the hang of playing fighting games with those teensy little analogue thumbsticks.

I've seen that someone's invented a converter to play the XBox 360 controller on the PS3; I wish someone could do likewise for playing XBox 360 fighting games with the SNES Advantage; now that was a damn fine stick, with the base being almost as big as the Super Nintendo itself and so heavy you had to rest it on your lap if you're a "floor player" like me, and it's still the only stick that makes me feel "at home" with fighters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
Uthred wrote:

Cammy was included because a poll was held on which characters people want included and she received more votes than every other character combined. I imagine Fei Long also scored highly.
If I recall, Cammy was first with Sakura in second. I guess Fei Long was more complete then T.Hawk, so they oped for him instead. Both would have been less used too. If they do bring Dee Jay and T.Hawk, they'll have to throw in six other characters so the character select screen won't look unbalanced. Or they can just move the timer some where else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
Would it be so wrong to want Q to return? Freaky vaguely Kikaider-looking robotic dude of mysterious origin who walks kinda like a Frankenstein and wears a fedora and trenchcoat FTW.

EDIT: Does anyone else get a kick out of the look on a fighter's face when the other fighter is about to use a Super move on them? It's like, "Oh damn, I'm getting raped, aren't I?"
Uthred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
No offense, but you can throw all the "mechanics" and "depth" around that you want...something is seriously broken when some n00b can completely whoop a self-proclaimed "master" who's spent hours in practice mode perfecting his game by banging on the buttons at complete random. Street Fighter, thankfully, never degenerated to that.

So your argument is someone can say they're a "master" and then they loose to a button-masher? Well thats a well reasoned argument. I mean everything someone claims to be true must be true...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:

I was thinking this myself. Technically he has been a character within the Street Fighter universe for quite some time now, but nobody had ever seen him or any kind of representation within any of the games up to this point. But, maybe the author could have worded it differently then. Instead of new characters, how about new fighters? That way Gouken can be included as well. But, I have no doubts in my mind that they will come out with SF4.219867405 soon Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3