• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds 2012 Ai no Kusabi Video Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Reliak wrote:

(If you're open to trying Boy's Love, start with something tamer like Gravitation or Junjo Romantica. There's no graphic sex in either of those)

To be clear, there is no graphic sex in the anime of Junjo Romantica. The manga gets plenty sexually explicit. Gravitation is a safer option, but the dialogue in the anime is, well, not that great (and I don't mean in just the English dub).

Graceful Nanami wrote:
And huh? DMP is still putting more novels out? I thought there were only 6 volumes they split it into... guess not? O_o

What happened to the AnK novels was that the company that was originally rereleasing them dropped it around volume 5 or 6 and another company took over the publication (from the beginning, I believe) with new illustrations. DMP licensed the original rerelease through that volume 5 or 6 then had to wait several years for the licensing issues created by the new licensor to be hashed out before they could finish releasing the series (which works out conveniently to now, perfect timing for MB to cash in a bit, I guess).

I don't really know how I feel about this news. I'm glad someone is licensing this title, because I probably wouldn't have bothered to hunt it down otherwise, but on the other hand Media Blasters does not have a great track record and I can't say this means anything much about the stability of the company as a whole.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
And still no Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.... FAIL!

I also would have been interested if they had released Sayonara Zetsubou Senei as well.

Also Though I am definitely no yaoi fanatic unlike my sister,the license of Ai no Kusabi is good news so she will no longer have to watch over Gakuen Heaven & Junjo Romantica.

However if this series is similar to Mirage of Blaze which showed on Encore WAM years ago,i might give it a go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
This is good news I guess, but it's unfortunate that the 2012 AnK stops at volume 4, which is by far not the end of the story. Given that, if MB is serious about doing this, they need to acquire the 1992 AnK and include it with the set, so that between the two of them you can at least have a complete story.

I swear to god, this title is jinxed. First the updated novel is abandoned midway, then the updated anime is abandoned midway, and it remains to be seen whether the abandoned anime gets abandoned midway by MB as well. And yet, it will not die. :D Maybe by 2075, somewhere, someone will finally manage to beam out the entire story directly to subscribers' brains.

jr0904 wrote:
However if this series is similar to Mirage of Blaze which showed on Encore WAM years ago,i might give it a go.

I'm not sure there's much comparison between the two other than a same-sex relationship (I hesitate to call either a romance, as they're both quite dysfunctional in their own unique ways). AnK 2012 is considerably more graphic in its sex scenes (though no pixelation required), and it's more sci-fi oriented where MoB was more historically oriented.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
So is it confirmed that there will only ever be 4 episodes of the AnK remake? Crap.

"And the masters for Record of Loddoss War were lost, so they can't do anything about that."

Lost, huh? How does that happen? Like... lost forever from everywhere?

"The Ai no Kusabi remake is seriously, no-kidding, without a doubt the best anime of any genre I've ever had the pleasure to watch."

Have you only seen like five really crappy anime or something? lol
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
So is it confirmed that there will only ever be 4 episodes of the AnK remake? Crap.

"And the masters for Record of Loddoss War were lost, so they can't do anything about that."

This is actually pretty common, especially for older titles with film masters. The masters could have been stored away and forgotten where. They could have been lost during shipping somewhere. It's also possible they were damaged or destroyed somehow. Half of all American films made before 1960 have been lost or destroyed. Most Japanese films prior to World War II have been lost as well.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

VastaRaven wrote:

Because they don't HAVE THE MATERIAL to make them. You can't make any copies unless you have the master copy from Japan...which they CANNOT find. It's that simple and that's why it was dropped.

That quote was actually mine. Anyways, just because the ORIGINAL masters don't exist, doesn't mean that MB can't do anything with the series. They could get the same digi-betas that Central Park Media used, and while the quality wouldn't be the best, it would still keep the show available. Media Blaster's Fushigi Yugi set isn't much of an improvement from Geneon's release, but at least the series is still readily available for us to purchase.

There is a big difference between Fushigi Yugi and Lodoss. FY still had masters of decent quality. Apparently the Lodoss masters have really deteriorated since CPM used them. If MB released it, the show would actually look noticeably worse.

A lot of anime fans already refuse to buy titles that aren't on Bluray. Imagine how many would complain if MB released a title that actually looked worse than a 10 year old release from Central Park, who wasn't known for great PQ anyway. The potential loss of sales could have made the release unprofitable and MB can't afford to mess around with shows that have a good chance at losing money.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Which Lodoss masters were lost, the OAV or the Chronicles TV series? It's a shame. Glad I have a copy of the whole Lodoss OAV and all the Fushigi Yugi TV episodes and OAVs in my collection.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Actually I'm not interested in this (icky BL) title or Bakuman or Lodoss War or anything else that this article is or isn't about. That's why I am posting this and making it all go off topic. ¬_¬

Evil or Very Mad Yeah, right. I'm buying this the first day it comes out! If and when, of course...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

This is actually pretty common, especially for older titles with film masters. The masters could have been stored away and forgotten where. They could have been lost during shipping somewhere. It's also possible they were damaged or destroyed somehow. Half of all American films made before 1960 have been lost or destroyed. Most Japanese films prior to World War II have been lost as well.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

VastaRaven wrote:

Because they don't HAVE THE MATERIAL to make them. You can't make any copies unless you have the master copy from Japan...which they CANNOT find. It's that simple and that's why it was dropped.

That quote was actually mine. Anyways, just because the ORIGINAL masters don't exist, doesn't mean that MB can't do anything with the series. They could get the same digi-betas that Central Park Media used, and while the quality wouldn't be the best, it would still keep the show available. Media Blaster's Fushigi Yugi set isn't much of an improvement from Geneon's release, but at least the series is still readily available for us to purchase.

There is a big difference between Fushigi Yugi and Lodoss. FY still had masters of decent quality. Apparently the Lodoss masters have really deteriorated since CPM used them. If MB released it, the show would actually look noticeably worse.

A lot of anime fans already refuse to buy titles that aren't on Bluray. Imagine how many would complain if MB released a title that actually looked worse than a 10 year old release from Central Park, who wasn't known for great PQ anyway. The potential loss of sales could have made the release unprofitable and MB can't afford to mess around with shows that have a good chance at losing money.

Well, first of all, Lodoss is a 20-year-old series. Most fans only cry bloody murder if a very NEW and RECENT series doesn't see the Blu.

Besides, from what I hear, only the ORIGINAL masters don't exist, which is common for some anime series. Lodoss is an old series. I don't expect it to look very good (although why did MB get the idea that they could release it onto Blu-Ray anyway?).

Fushigi Yugi's masters on MB's set look pretty much identical to Geneon's set, and while adequate, are average at best, and there's no Blu-Ray release planned either. People seem to be okay with that game plan!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Being old doesn't preclude an anime from looking outstanding on BluRay, but Lodoss wasn't very high budget or fantastic in animation and art. Still, a BD would make it watchable again in this HD era. If you can get the original masters, then there's a chance to make a decent looking BluRay release, with all of the fixings for the video: sharper lines, more correct film colors, clearer picture, and pronounced grain. Looking at some of Lodoss' contemporaries like Nadia and Patlabor TV, BDs of even TV series can come out looking awesome, so why not an OVA, problematic as that production was.
streetwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:

"The Ai no Kusabi remake is seriously, no-kidding, without a doubt the best anime of any genre I've ever had the pleasure to watch."

Have you only seen like five really crappy anime or something? lol

Oh I've seen quite many and I stand by what I said. The best. Seriously, I confess I'm a bit of an art nut so that might have something to do with it, but I've never come across animation so aesthetically pleasing in my life.

The effects are absolutely stunning, the character design detailed, the voices very well done. I can't think of anything bad to say about it really.

And I truly hope that there will be a continuation. Seems like this isn't a vain hope either as apparently the special japanese release blu-ray box has enough room for more episodes... That sounds very promising to me! Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

jr0904 wrote:

I'm not sure there's much comparison between the two other than a same-sex relationship (I hesitate to call either a romance, as they're both quite dysfunctional in their own unique ways). AnK 2012 is considerably more graphic in its sex scenes (though no pixelation required), and it's more sci-fi oriented where MoB was more historically oriented.

True enough. But it was cause of it that i didn't know Mirage of Blaze was a yaoi series at first. I was just glad there had an anime seires showed somewhere else other than on Adult Swim which some of it's series are edited.and probably how media blasters was able to get it to broadcast on Encore WAM.

Well either way, my sister will be glad for this news since she's aa yaoi junkie.

though the yaoi series i am interested in seeing is Pico: My Summer Side Story which is the heavily edited OVA of Boku no Pico to make it more suitable for those under 18.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4