• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Wins $600,000 from Unlicensed Sword Sellers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
as for the weener who doesn't understand a Gatling gun is a patented design as well as the web belt one of which are currently held by the Colt co. SE is actually breaching copy right by designing the arm gun based on the gatling guns original design and then saying they own the copy rights to the design because its within their product.

A patent does not prevent a likeness of something from appearing in a fictitious work. It only prevents another person from building, selling, or utilizing an actual gatling gun without the patent holder's permission. Patenting, Copyrighting, and Trademarking are all different things.

If guns were adherent to strict copyright and patenting issues, you guys know that MGS wouldn't have the freedom to use half the weaponry it does, right? Look at how many different weapons from different manufacturers are in MGS4; if they were demanding of royalties and things, no way in hell Konami could pay them all back -- I mean they probably had to pay decent money to Apple and Ubisoft to use the iPod, Mac, and Altair licenses/looks in the game.

So riddle me this: let's say someone uses a design nearly identital to the Buster Sword and calls it the Meat Cleaver of Doom or something. Because the name is not the same, would they still be allowed to use that appearance for the weapon?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
as for the weener who doesn't understand a Gatling gun is a patented design as well as the web belt one of which are currently held by the Colt co. SE is actually breaching copy right by designing the arm gun based on the gatling guns original design and then saying they own the copy rights to the design because its within their product.

A patent does not prevent a likeness of something from appearing in a fictitious work. It only prevents another person from building, selling, or utilizing an actual gatling gun without the patent holder's permission. Patenting, Copyrighting, and Trademarking are all different things.

If guns were adherent to strict copyright and patenting issues, you guys know that MGS wouldn't have the freedom to use half the weaponry it does, right? Look at how many different weapons from different manufacturers are in MGS4; if they were demanding of royalties and things, no way in hell Konami could pay them all back -- I mean they probably had to pay decent money to Apple and Ubisoft to use the iPod, Mac, and Altair licenses/looks in the game.

So riddle me this: let's say someone uses a design nearly identital to the Buster Sword and calls it the Meat Cleaver of Doom or something. Because the name is not the same, would they still be allowed to use that appearance for the weapon?

The first part of your post says the same thing that mine does, but then you challenge me? I'm confused, so I'll start over.

1) The real life guns in MGS can't be copyrighted. Copyrights are only for works of fiction.
2) They are most definitely patented though. However, a patent only prevents the real, physical item from being produced, sold, or used without the patent holder's permission. Things that are patented are allowed to be in fictitious works without any consent.

As for your riddle, if the Cleaver appears in another work of fiction, it would probably be completely fine. Ever notice how many anime characters have SQNY TV's or Mindows operating systems? If it were being sold as a physical item, It would still seem legal to me, but I would guess it depends on how good SE's lawyers are.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't saying "riddle me this" to be an ass/present a challenge, I was just referencing the Riddler for silliness' sake. I didn't mean to be confrontational, I was just asking you about whether a company could get away with copying a sword design.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

As for your riddle, if the Cleaver appears in another work of fiction, it would probably be completely fine. Ever notice how many anime characters have SQNY TV's or Mindows operating systems? If it were being sold as a physical item, It would still seem legal to me, but I would guess it depends on how good SE's lawyers are.

Microsoft got Linux outfit "Lindows" to change name because the name is so close to Windows. So yeah, MS will sue you if you actually make a real OS called Mindows or anything close. Laughing

Also, in the US, patents expire after 17 years, so make money on your patent fast.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Well, you can't copyright weapons or weapon concepts, I don't think. Unless it's a special case of a specific weapon made up for a certain game. Look at Ivy's snake sword -- a number of other games have ripped off the idea of a sword that segments into a whip since. Namco hasn't sued them. On the other hand, though, I don't think you could actually use the likeness of the Keyblade from Emo Hearts in a game not sanctioned by SE.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Well, you can't copyright weapons or weapon concepts, I don't think.

That's for patents, I believe. But with patents, you have to be really specific and maybe even hire a patent lawyer. One of my old professors always said that the very first thing the patent office does to his patent applications is................ reject it. Laughing

They always want you to refine then resubmit (often multiple times) your patent application to be very particular and establish that it's new (not common) and unique (never been patented or different enough from other similar patents).

And remember, patents expire after 17 years in America; after that, anybody can make that weapon. So even if you only have patented the concept of a weapon, you have just 17 years to produce it exclusively. Very Happy

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

On the other hand, though, I don't think you could actually use the likeness of the Keyblade from Emo Hearts in a game not sanctioned by SE.

Yeah, if it looks very much alike, that's trademark infringement of a copyrighted publication.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Intellectual property is one of those tricky things when it comes to copyrights, I imagine -- it seems that it isn't 100% clearly defined in some cases as to what can and cannot be copied or reused. Of course, look at laser-based melee weapons -- nearly everyone has ripped off the lightsaber in some way, shape, or form, creating weapons that look almost exactly like the ones from Star Wars, but as long as it doesn't have the same name, you can go ahead and use the concept of the weapon.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Of course, look at laser-based melee weapons -- nearly everyone has ripped off the lightsaber in some way, shape, or form, creating weapons that look almost exactly like the ones from Star Wars, but as long as it doesn't have the same name, you can go ahead and use the concept of the weapon.

It appears many an unscrupulous company cannot wait to cash in on others' intellectual property to sell their bootlegged toys, as I pleasantly found out. It appears they're copying more than just fictional weapons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
well SE really doesn't have the right to even say the gunblade is their creation because bayonets have existed for a couple hundred years.

so the very swords they are suing over are not even their original design.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, the reason Gunblades are "different" is because they added a very lame gimmick to make you feel like you're an "active" part of the battle by hitting the trigger at the moment of impact. Regardless, the Masamune from FF7, for example, really looks like your standard long katana, and nothing about it really sets it apart from every other long Japanese sword design out there. I don't even know HOW you can make a model of the Masamune and sell it for profit, because you can probably find a dozen similarly-shaped swords from a sword seller.

EDIT: To the people wondering whether this is a "money grab" or some such, I'd say not necessarily. Squeenix is filthy rich, so 600,000 is probably like chump change to them. I think it's more arrogant corporate bullying, kind of a "We'll show them" thing to scare off the people who don't go through the proper channels.

EDIT 2:

Zin5ki wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Of course, look at laser-based melee weapons -- nearly everyone has ripped off the lightsaber in some way, shape, or form, creating weapons that look almost exactly like the ones from Star Wars, but as long as it doesn't have the same name, you can go ahead and use the concept of the weapon.

It appears many an unscrupulous company cannot wait to cash in on others' intellectual property to sell their bootlegged toys, as I pleasantly found out. It appears they're copying more than just fictional weapons.

Yeah, it's hilarious how many discount/dollar stores have knockoff toys. Big Lots (an American chain of clearance/liquidation stores) has a treasure trove of toys bootlegged from Transformers, Power Rangers, Gundam, you name it. Of course, they also carry legitimate anime/game toys (weirdly, I've found licensed Street Fighter figures there...go figure).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

And of course, the old Anime Jump Bootleg Toys section. Laughing
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
well SE really doesn't have the right to even say the gunblade is their creation because bayonets have existed for a couple hundred years.

You do realize that with patents and copyrights there is a time limit right? So even if somehow a gunblade= bayonet thus infringement you'd have no case becuase the patent would now move into common works, the only thing you could patent is the process of making your specific bayonet, like a special metal or a process involved that makes it stand out from other bayonets.

Also gunblade to bayonet isn't a 100% comparison, a Gunblade is more comparable to the British Knife-Flintlock Pistol, early 19th C.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

You do realize that with patents and copyrights there is a time limit right? So even if somehow a gunblade= bayonet thus infringement you'd have no case becuase the patent would now move into common works, the only thing you could patent is the process of making your specific bayonet, like a special metal or a process involved that makes it stand out from other bayonets.

Also gunblade to bayonet isn't a 100% comparison, a Gunblade is more comparable to the British Knife-Flintlock Pistol, early 19th C.

your parroting what my point is the lawsuit vs the replica swords is a pack of crap because the gunblade existed before SE ever made FFVII which means its not their design to sue over. regardless of how bent out of shape they are about it.

its even more wrong that a court would issue damages for a patent/copyright of an item which is as old as the gunblade since it should be public property and not SE's.

realistically the manufacturers should counter sue SE and force the issue with a class action to reverse the decision.

ps: by the way a patent runs for 17-20 years from the time of issue. this can be extended for reasons like first to invent claims where the original maker is still in doubt....etc... this is considered the enforcement period. although it is possible to have much longer periods issued.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
First there are distinct differences between that weapon and a gunblade.

1. The English Knife Gun is eleven inches long, the gunblade is easily at least 3 feet.

2. The English Knife Gun is a flintlock with one shot, the Gunblade is a revolver with at least 6 shots.

3. The English Gun's grip is straight like a knife or traditional sword, the Gunblade's grip is a pistol grip.

In addition that weapon is sold as a generic replica, not tied to any specific person. A gunblade however is tied to either Squall or Seifer and is when, as this case showed, they were selling it as a replica of Squall's Gunblade, using the character's image and SquareEnix' reputation to sell them.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
First there are distinct differences between that weapon and a gunblade.

1. The English Knife Gun is eleven inches long, the gunblade is easily at least 3 feet.

2. The English Knife Gun is a flintlock with one shot, the Gunblade is a revolver with at least 6 shots.

3. The English Gun's grip is straight like a knife or traditional sword, the Gunblade's grip is a pistol grip.

In addition that weapon is sold as a generic replica, not tied to any specific person. A gunblade however is tied to either Squall or Seifer and is when, as this case showed, they were selling it as a replica of Squall's Gunblade, using the character's image and SquareEnix' reputation to sell them.

figured someone would be dumb enough to mention length.
sorry to burst that bubble but bayonets are 3ft long in many cases and many are pretty much the same general shape as the gunblades blade.

I wont bother posting pictures of revolvers and automatic handguns equipped with blades but don't be deluded into thinking they don't exist they do those previous pictures were to show how long ago the gunblade design existed.

as I posted in a previous post the sellers may have been stupid enough to refer to FFVII as a selling point yet the item itself is a public item because its original design existed long before FFVII did.
the only thing SE could have pursued was the use of advertising material which refers to their work and a cease and desist order should have been the way to go but they wanted to sue over the items themselves which by all evidence is not their original design.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6