• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Summer Lovin'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

But then you wouldn't have such a ripe opportunity to be a condescending dick about it in the forums!

Damn, you're right.

Now I'm conflicted.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to Bamboo to pick the Josei series as #1. I wonder what demographic she's a part of.

...I say that, but I do largely agree with her ranking of the new shows this season, though I haven't seen Natsuyuki Rendezvous or Moyashimon. The only thing is that I'd say Tari Tari deserves a bit more, but ranking it that low isn't a surprise, either, and it's still in the air as to how good it will actually be (at least it hasn't gone to Hanasaku Iroha levels of insanity, though).

I also want to say Arcana Famiglia deserves more, but...well, Bamboo really hit that one with her closer. "Arcana Duella! Yeah!" "Three filler episodes follow!"

Sword Art Online started amazingly and looked to be one of the best of the season for sure, but has since dwindled. Novel readers aren't thrilled with the pacing, and even I, as someone who hasn't read the novels, felt episode 3 was way too rushed.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Current Rankings
1. AKB0048 (including this because the finale rocked!)
2. Humanity Has Declined
3. Smile Precure
4. Hyouka
5. Space Brothers
6. YuruYuri 2
7. Hunter x Hunter
8. Accel World (tie)
8. Kokoro Connect (tie)
10. TARI TARI
11. Sword Art Online
12. Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Bleh, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Utakoi are really just "taking advantage" of the whole Josei hype that Chihayafuru set not too long ago. Natsuyuki Rendezvous has some potential but I don't think it deserves to be #1. As for Utakoi, this is a hard show to watch with only fair subs from CrunchyRoll. There are a lot of deep cultural references that are being missed in the dialogue as they are indeed telling the stories of the Hyakunin Isshu poems, i.e. the Karuta cards for those who didn't understand the former.

I'm more surprised to see Kono Naka, Dakara Boku wa, and Arcana Famiglia stay over Campione! and Oda Nobuna. Granted that neither of the five are great though. In particular, Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai! is literally a combination of Highschool DxD and Shakugan no Shana gone completely wrong.

Quote:
Sword Art Online started amazingly and looked to be one of the best of the season for sure, but has since dwindled. Novel readers aren't thrilled with the pacing, and even I, as someone who hasn't read the novels, felt episode 3 was way too rushed.

We're more than not thrilled. We're completely annoyed that they've not only skipped a bunch of the story but also fail to take the time to develop any of the characters. The show received two cours, which allowed for 4-6 volumes of adaptation. At the rate this is going, it's like they're trying to rush to completely catch up with the novels. The novels go in pairs by the way, and the show is doing a very poor job at bringing that out so far.

To be honest, Summer 2012 has a lot of average shows. None that are particularly outstanding like we've seen in the previous few seasons but nothing absurdly terrible either.

If I had to say, my top 5 right now are Accel World, Kuroko no Basuke, Smile Precure!, Rinne no Lagrange 2, and Kokoro Connect.
If only considering new titles (i.e. premiered in summer), that list narrows to Rinne no Lagrange 2, Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari, Sword Art Online, and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. Jinrui is still a bit too inconsistent for me to really put it any higher...
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll assume Bamboo isn't caught up with some sequels such as Yuru Yuri and Horizon and that is why they are left off the list. Binbogami ga! and Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero started late (although Binbogami ga! in particular has been up plenty long enough), so maybe they'll just be on later. But where's Lagrange? I know Bamboo finished the first season, and the second season has been streaming since it began airing as far as I know.

EDIT: Yeah, missed Bamboo's note about the FUNimation streams. Don't worry, I've seen it now.

Last edited by Red Fox of Fire on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Bamboos top six are the same shows that I would have but with a different order.
1) Space Brothers
2) Natsuyuki Rendezvous
3) Humanity Has Declined
4) Moyashimon Returns
5) Polar Bear Cafe
6) Kokoro Connect

everything else got dropped after 1 or 2 episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
But then you wouldn't have such a ripe opportunity to be a condescending dick about it in the forums!

I know people make mistakes. It's unavoidable. However the mistakes regarding this show has been fairly consistant. I know you'd agree that there's nothing wrong with pointing out these mistakes (in a non-dickish way).

But more than the mistakes themselves, I'm more perplexed by why none of the staff have gone to fix said mistakes. I know you're busy people but surely it wouldn't take that long to change something like "It's about 4 girls" to "It's about 3 girls and 2 guys."

Again, it's okay to make mistakes, but you should really go and correct them when discovered, especially as a professional website.

Anyways, I'm really liking Kokoro Connect, especially after the EPIC kick to the balls in episode 3.

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse is also on my "can't wait to watch the next episode" list. I don't think the CG is that bad either.

BTW it says episode 1-3 but the image is from episode 4.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
i think too much is hoped for in Arcana Famiglia ._.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
i think too much is hoped for in Arcana Famiglia ._.

Its a VN adaption by JC Staff. It was doomed from the start
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

Well I don't have too much of an issue with the pacing. I have wondered how people who haven't read the novels would cope though, as it definitely skips around. Mainly it seems because the creators of the show want to show everything in order, whereas in the original novel there was a big timeskip after the setup of episode 1. (I.e. both episode 2 and 3 now have been based on separate short-stories not part of the original novel.) Episode 3 only appears rushed because there is none of the setup of the story that was in the original novel. Since the event was continually mentioned by the main character, but it was never described in detail until the short-story much later, so you basically knew most of the setup and people by that point. Whereas since they only used the content of the short-story here you are definitely left going... huh.

I will definitely be interested to see if it picks itself back up but its lower on my priorities than some of the other great titles now.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The only ones I'm really enjoying so far are Humanity Has Declined, Sword Art Online, and Polar Bear Cafe. I'm still watching Utakoi because of the unique animation, Arcana Famiglia in the hope it will get around to the fighting soon, and Natsuyuki Rendezvous because... well, I'm not really sure why. I don't like romance that much and I'm not really enjoying it, but it's good enough to not drop. I tried Binbogami ga! and Campione! but soon dropped them and I may try Kokoro Connect.
So far, this has been a weak season for me. Oh well, guess I have more time to watch some older anime.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I like the third episode of "SAO". The fact that it was only mentioned in the light novels, but now appears before the rest of the cast are introduced showed, for me, how the writers and the author spent plenty of time discussing the arc of the story and of Kirito and how to best depict it in a TV series. (Keep up those Newtype translations Justin.)

Likewise, even though I found the first two episodes of "Total Eclipse" cumbersome, they prevent the character from that introduction from looking like a complete jerk in the following episodes. Though Bamboo got caught up int the boobs and penis monsters of the show (aren't those called Chinpokumon?) I found the racism, xenophobia and culture clash gave a little more intrigue and weight to this rather conventional series.

Even now, just thinking about "Polar Bear Cafe" gets me laughing. More please. I look forward to "Kokoro Connect" taking a more serious approach to the body-switch cliche. I want to show everyone "Natsuyuki Rendevouz"! And I want"Space Brothers" to continue for a hundred episodes!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Coming into this season I was not expecting to follow many shows. I am (happily) surprise that I ended up following 9 series.

My favorite is Natsuyuki Rendezvous because I really like its balance of drama, romance, comedy and supernatural.

My second favorite is Sword Art Online because it is an intense series. My third favorite is Kokoro Connect; I really hope it is great.

Here is the rest of the shows:
4. Tari Tari
5. Space Brothers
6. Hyouka
7. La storia della Arcana Famiglia
8. Total Eclipse
9. The Ambition of Oda Nobuna

Thanks Bamboo for writing this very informative column. And why are some people in the forum telling Bambo how to do her job?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I know the suicide bread in Declined bit was humorous, but I feel like I've seen it before, and done better, with an duty-bound potato. So seeing it again, even under different circumstances, it not quite out of left field or absurd to me. Comedy in anime's gotta have more than just "weird shit in weird shows" to get to me anymore. Gintama, and whatever else that director works on, does work because he writes timing into the jokes and knows how to use his voice actors. Sugita Tomokazu on hand never hurts either.

For Sword Art, I think you just have to let the implausibilities go for the sake of what's happening in-game. I'm enjoying it more as a fantasy anime with HUDs and forgetting that they're even in a game.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure glad I didn't watch any of those other gender-bent Sengoku-era shows, so I was able to approach The ambition of Oda Nobuna with few prejudices, and am enjoying it tremendously.

Instead of being a just cute-girls/harem show with a faux-historical setting, it's a curious mix of slapstick and serious that works fairly well for me. Kanae Itou is doing a fantastic job alternating between being a teen and being imperious in the title role, the male lead is courageous, straightforward, and has a good head on his shoulders (at least for a while). The two main characters actually have a bit of chemistry, and the director shows occasional signs of brilliance.

The show is even considering the gender issues its setup implies, albeit somewhat cartoonishly. Its take on the historical events and characters isn't completely shallow or lazy --- it reminds me a bit of books like Wicked, Grendel, or Tanith Lee's retelling of old fairy tales more than I would have expected after things like Sengoku Collection or Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23