• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Summer Lovin'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I'm sure glad I didn't watch any of those other gender-bent Sengoku-era shows, so I was able to approach The ambition of Oda Nobuna with few prejudices, and am enjoying it tremendously.

dm wrote:
Its take on the historical events and characters isn't completely shallow or lazy ---

Same here. It is the first Sengoku era show I have watched. I am liking it quite a bit, and the animation quality is very good in my opinion.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Badminton-kun is not her brother. He's not the brother of any of the [main girls].

This made me laugh. I wonder if there will ever be anything published on ANN about Tari Tari by someone who actually paid at least enough attention to correctly describe the basics of the show.

But then you wouldn't have such a ripe opportunity to be a condescending dick about it in the forums!

I thought Zac went overboard until I realized that person was extremely rude and cocky with their remark.

+1 for Zac's clever reply of the week
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I also dropped Campione!

Episode one and two made it sound decent, but I had my fill by episode three. If we had lots more of bedroom fanservice with the blonde I'd probably stick around a little longer.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who enjoys Kingdom? While it's nothing glamour, it's fun to watch.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
The only reason i'm still following Sword Art Online is that i'm waiting for something to happen which would justify all the hype surrounding this show...after the last ep. it looks like it's gonna take the standard harem path. I don't mind (im)plausibilities in the plot as long as there is something that gets me hooked, but so far there's nothing of the sort.

spoiler[Why should i care about some one-ep.-chick that hops into the main character's bed (and quite literally sleeps with him) after knowing him for five minutes and dies happily afterwards? I'm pretty sure i'm not supposed to care about the guys who seem to be just cannon fodder...Kirito sure wasn't very eager to revive any of them (maybe Klein is an exception because he seems to have the hots for our hero as well...Rolling Eyes).]

Much to my own surprise i really enjoy Tari Tari, though! I like shows about music but after trying K-on! which everybody raved about but which bored me to death, i was a bit weary to check out a show with a similar premise, but so far i'm finding Tari Tari a lot more interesting plot- and characterwise.
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
I gotta admit it's a weird season - something happened in mid-May and I can't get back into my Anime Groove. I've been stolen away by so much 3-D asian drama's and J-Pop concerts & such.

The only show I latched onto was "I can't play H?" cause I liked the chick with the Scythe (from seeing promotional pics in Spring). I do enjoy "Sword Art Online" - aside from that I can't get into anything else.

This "Humanity in decline" sounds intriguing based on what Bamboo & Zac said in the pod cast. Maybe I'm burned out?

I do want to say to Miss Bamboo - it would be super cool if you made an Audio-version of your Stream reviews - you & Zac and the others are so good in the podcasts at expressing your frustrations or elation over Series X or Y - it really "sells" and paints a picture of how much you like or dislike something.

Case in point - that "ChiyaFuna?" show you love about the poems on index cards (last season) I probably will never "like it" but I enjoyed hearing you all talk about it - it was genuine. Hearing you all talk about the classics from the 90's was a real education. It's hard to discern "emotion" from a printed review so the podcasts really bring out your personalities and it helps color the reviews!

When I was reading the Stream - I could sort of hear your snark & attitude in my head as I read. It was very amusing. keep it up!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
The only reason i'm still following Sword Art Online is that i'm waiting for something to happen which would justify all the hype surrounding this show...after the last ep. it looks like it's gonna take the standard harem path. I don't mind (im)plausibilities in the plot as long as there is something that gets me hooked, but so far there's nothing of the sort.

Eh... (episode 3 spoilers) if you consider spoiler[ killing off a female character the very episode she is introduced "standard harem", I am very curious what sort of harem shows you have been watching. ]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Because it assumes that everyone by now is thoroughly familiar with the events of the Warring States era (if not through history class than through all the video games and movies and anime set in that time period), it just tosses out name after name, battle after battle, in rapid fire succession.

I don't really see how that is a problem with the show. I can certainly understand how that might be a barrier to success in foreign markets, but its just assuming a basic understanding of their country's history and important historical figures. Considering the target audience is likely more towards teens and young adults who would either be in or just out of school, I'd say expecting the audience to know who these people are is about as reasonable as expecting a US high school student to know who Col. Custer is. I just don't see how a show made by a Japanese company targeted at a Japanese audience could be seen as flawed because it assumed a cursory level of knowledge of Japanese history.

Also, any foreign viewer watching a show made by a foreign company, targetted at a their local audience in what is likely to them a familiar historical setting, and expecting them to waste enough time in a 24 minute a week time slot (after commercials) to give sufficient explanation for foreigners that have no prior knowledge of that historical setting to be able to completely understand it is crazy.

Totally agree with everything else though.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Eh... (episode 3 spoilers) if you consider spoiler[ killing off a female character the very episode she is introduced "standard harem", I am very curious what sort of harem shows you have been watching. ]

Maybe the spoiler[killing off] part wasn't standard, but pretty much everything else. I'll happily admit to not being an expert in harem anime since i very rarely manage to finish a series of this genre and i'm even less of an expert when it comes to survival harem series, but it would be kinda silly if spoiler[ the girls were somehow immune to dying in a show with such a premise. SAO seems to be realitsic enough not to do that at the very least...]

Speaking of which, am i the only one who finds the dissolving of characters after theys were killed rather...anticlimactic?
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Speaking of which, am i the only one who finds the dissolving of characters after theys were killed rather...anticlimactic?

Its an MMO, that's what happens to bodies. They get eaten by a grue.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
The only new shows this season that I will definitely watch are:

Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Humanity Has Declined

... and I am continuing to watch from last season:

Hunter x Hunter
Kuroko's Basketball
Space Brothers
Polar Bear Cafe

--all of these listed above are winners for me and worthy of the long haul

haven't tried yet, but plan to:

Utakoi - I have a feeling this show may go the way of Folktales from Japan did last season, which lost my interest after 8 episodes.
Tari Tari - doesn't look like it will be this season's AnoHana after all, so I'm not too hopeful.
Moyashimon Returns - I haven't seen the first series. Since I don't watch fansubs,I have no idea whether I'm going to have a clue as to what is going on, but I'll give it a try anyway.
Hakuoki Reimeiroku - a guilty pleasure ...maybe. My only exposure to this franchise has been the visual novel recently localized by Aksys, which was interesting (having never played anything like that before, that is) Haven't seen any of the episodes yet.

Temporarily (perhaps permanently) dropped:

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Didn't pass my 4 episode test. I just don't like any of the characters. (Swedish ladies boobs move independently and in really strange ways, like they are a couple of the BETA which have attached themselves to her chest. It freaks me out) I may watch it if I hear enough positive and continuing buzz from mecha fans.
La Storia della Arcana Famiglia This was going to be my "stupid show" of the season. I've only seen the first episode and found things about it difficult to tolerate. My "stupid show" last season (Hiiro no Kakera) only made it 5 episodes. This one may get dropped even earlier.
Kingdom - I'm unfamiliar with the story behind this, so that part feels new to me. Unfortunately the CG animated characters look so weird it takes right out of the narrative. I've watched 5 episodes so far. Not sure if I'll be in the mood for more. I have to prepare myself for the truly ugly animation before I watch it. A shame.

Won't even try (don't have time, not my thing, would rather read a novel):

Kokoro Connect
Sword Art Online
So, I Can't Play H!
Nakaimo - My Sister Is Among Them
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna
Campione!
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Merida wrote:

Well yes, but the players usually don't die for real which is supposed to be the case here but doesn't really feel like it.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
誤称 wrote:
Merida wrote:

Well yes, but the players usually don't die for real which is supposed to be the case here but doesn't really feel like it.

But in this case, what we see is still them dying in the game. It's basically a completely standard virtual reality MMO, but with the added surprise of game death = real death.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

But in this case, what we see is still them dying in the game. It's basically a completely standard virtual reality MMO, but with the added surprise of game death = real death.

I know they are dying but - to me - it lacks the emotional impact a 'real world death' has. Call me old-fashioned but i prefer my sword-fighting deaths bloody and painful and with an actual body left behind...
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
My sister and I find that it spices up Tari Tari quite a bit if we watch it not long after Kokoro Connect, so there's an undercurrent of expectation that the characters will switch bodies Twisted Evil

I think Utakoi does a good job of humanizing these poets who lived roughly a millennium ago, not to mention showing just how small the poet community was then. Did they ALL know each other? Well, at least it helps link the episodes together better than I thought at first. And hey, it's pretty!

In addition to the above, we're also enjoying Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Humanity Has Declined, Sword Art Online and Moyashimon from the new shows, and continuing Polar Bear Cafe, Poyo-Poyo and Space Brothers, though we need to get caught up with those after last month got busy. Enjoyed the style in the first ep of Arcana Famiglia, but that wasn't enough for us to come back for more.

Anyway, the season's certainly turned out more interesting than expected!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23