• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Summer Lovin'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
ruriruri007 wrote:

Hire someone who can legitimately review Japanese animation and why it is good animation.

Like this:
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/lupin-iii-a-woman-called-5

There is nothing remotely like this on the technical critique end in this site's anime "reviews." It is something that could set your site apart from the rest. Ultimately your agenda matters as far as where you spend what little money you have for writers.

Apart from the name-dropping of Japanese members of staff in the episode and throwing lavish praise for the members of staff, I don't really see anything special about this review.

I read movie reviewers regularly -- two of my favorite writers are Roger Ebert and James Berardinelli. If you leaf through their reviews they're not full of technical notes and details, either. Ebert in particular responds very intuitively. And yet no one could dream of accusing them of not knowing about the art of the filmmaking, the who's who.

I'm not sure why I'm responding to this, since, as Zac says, regardless of the vocal criticisms ANN gets it has a growing readership. I suppose I'm just kind of bugged that this example is used as an example of a 'good review'. Urgh, no. It's not a good review (not a bad one, though -- it was a really fun blog post). It's a fanboy (girl?) rave with jargon thrown in to dazzle and impress the enthusiastic Japanophile, with the jargon in place being the show's Japanese members of staff.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:

First of all, "90% of everything is crap" is something I just plain have a hard time believing. I can buy "Only 10% of everything will be remembered decades later," "Only 10% of everything is exceptional," or even, "Only 10% of everything is truly above-average," but implying that there is only 10% of media that can be called "not bad" is just ludicrous to me and I've yet to see a convincing explanation as to how this is true.

Seriously? You think Sturgeons's law is meant to be taken literally ? You think I invoked it as a mathematical equation to show the exact percentage of anime that qualifies as crap?

seriously?

I'm truly and honestly sorry that you don't get it. And I'm truly and honestly sorry that I don't think I have the adequate skill set to explain it to you.

-t
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Seriously? You think Sturgeons's law is meant to be taken literally ? You think I invoked it as a mathematical equation to show the exact percentage of anime that qualifies as crap?

You did invoke it as a defense of your position, hence the argument against it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
tempest wrote:

it doesn't matter who invoked the whole mess the actual fact is can you or anyone else be the bigger man/woman and let it the hell go?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
it doesn't matter who invoked the whole mess the actual fact is can you or anyone else be the bigger man/woman and let it the hell go?

You do realise this is Fencedude5609 we're talking about? He's made 1,220 posts since the 9th of April. "Letting things go" isn't part of his playbook.

Thankfully, you can use his doggedness to your advantage if you know how.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo makes some good points about "Tari Tari" and "Kokoro Connect". I'll keep those in mind as examples of poor or weak writing. I still think both shows are good because I find some qualities about them that I enjoy like the exchange student; I really wish they gave him more of a presence.

With The Stream and The Preview Guide, you have a strong combination for promoting that best anime available now. In fact, if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have a subscription to Cruncyroll, watch anime every week or be as into it if it weren't for folks like Bamboo and Zac dividing all the rubies from the crap for me. Thanks for getting your hands dirty.

With the addition of a Roku, and the current slate of titles, I'm going to try something new. I want to show my Dutch, Baby Boomer parents "Natsuyuki Rendezvous". I was hesitant at first because I've shied away from showing anyone I know an anime that was subtitled. I don't like the idea of forcing them to do extra work to watch a show. However, this one offers the rare opportunity I haven't been able to give them: to see an anime about adults dealing with adult issues.

Some titles came close, but the best one was "NANA" that sent them on a nostalgia trip back to 1970s Amsterdam. I want to do the same with "Kids on the Slope" for the same reason. (My dad's also a Blues and Jazz fan.) My hope is that "Natsuyuki Rendezvous" gives them the same glow as "NANA" while being a more reasonable length and having an actual ending, which was the only disappointment of that series. (To this day, they are still asking me about new episodes of "NANA" no matter what I tell them.)

I also would have liked to have showed them "Madoka Magica" just because it is such a well written show. And quite frankly, with the glut of "Avengers", "Batman", and "Spiderman" coming out this year, "Madoka" is the best 'superhero' story I've seen all year. However, I know my mom would say, "This is too far from my bed," as the Dutch saying goes. (She would probably ask what drugs the creators were on, which was her response to David Lynch's "INLAND EMPIRE" and "Evanglion 2.0".) Regardless, I think anyone who can enjoy both an "Avengers" and a "Tree of Life" is capable of appreciating "Madoka Magica". Granted they are able to take it seriously with all the moe elements.

Well, she requested to see "Ruby Dee" this weekend, so I think we're safe with "Natsuyuki Rendezvous."
Takokujin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

You do realise this is Fencedude5609 we're talking about? He's made 1,220 posts since the 9th of April. "Letting things go" isn't part of his playbook.

Thankfully, you can use his doggedness to your advantage if you know how.

This made me crack up. Sorry. I had to QFT!
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

First of all, "90% of everything is crap" is something I just plain have a hard time believing. I can buy "Only 10% of everything will be remembered decades later," "Only 10% of everything is exceptional," or even, "Only 10% of everything is truly above-average," but implying that there is only 10% of media that can be called "not bad" is just ludicrous to me and I've yet to see a convincing explanation as to how this is true.

seriously?

I'm truly and honestly sorry that you don't get it. And I'm truly and honestly sorry that I don't think I have the adequate skill set to explain it to you.

-t

Okay. It's not a literal thing. I'm willing to accept that.

But then that brings in my other point: Why not say what you mean? Because when you quote a law that says "90% of everything is crap," you should reasonably expect people to believe you think that 90% of everything is crap.

Why not, instead, say what you mean, instead of falling back on Sturgeon's Law, which specifically says something you do not mean?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
tempest wrote:

And he has explained the context of his use of it in spite of the fact your arguments are based on his use of it in a completely different way. If you're not even going to debate the points being made then, once again, you're done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Why not, instead, say what you mean, instead of falling back on Sturgeon's Law, which specifically says something you do not mean?

spoiler[Sturgeon's law.]
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I have no idea how you got the idea that the show is saying, at this point at least, that its in any way okay to bone your sister. Or that anyone found that as the takeaway message. Everywhere I've been, people are assuming he will not have a sudden change of heart and marry his sister. Since, you know, he's making a point of not getting romantically involved with any of them until he figures it out. I understand not liking the show regardless, but critics of the show continually downplay or ignore the fact that Shogo very, very, very much does NOT want to stick it in his sister. That he didn't know if one of them was is pretty much the only reason he didn't start bonking at least one of them that night (assuming they didn't have a change of heart or were leading him on with no intention of following through in the first place, which is very possible).

I think there's a difference between, "Shogo doesn't want to bone his sister" and "This is a show made for audiences who might like this sort of thing." I'm not saying that people watching the show want to bone their sisters, but that the people who made the show are assuming their audience is really into the little sister fantasy.

I mentioned in my review that while Shogo certainly receives points for being adamantly against being with his sister, that ultimately, the show is made for an audience-- and the audience is ultimately the intended voyeur for all the "I wore your underwear last night, brother!" scenes.

To be honest Bamboo - I never got the whole "Little sister" thing. It's gross. I only watched "My Little sister can't be this Cute" because the Kirino & Kuroneko conflicts were hysterical - then I saw this Fan Dub clip and knew this show was Awesome!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I10TfKXKng

I never dug "Yusuga No Sora" or "I don't like you that way Bro" - Do Japanese men really have a 'sister fetish'? It's creepy. It's like "Astrolotte's Toy" - we all know what it is!! - gross. Even the weird sister bonding on "Freezing" is pretty WTF? When you convert any anime to a 3-D Live action concept in your mind - You see the narrative as it really is....disgusting- lol.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
To be honest Bamboo - I never got the whole "Little sister" thing. It's gross. I only watched "My Little sister can't be this Cute" because the Kirino & Kuroneko conflicts were hysterical - then I saw this Fan Dub clip and knew this show was Awesome!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I10TfKXKng

I never dug "Yusuga No Sora" or "I don't like you that way Bro" - Do Japanese men really have a 'sister fetish'? It's creepy. It's like "Astrolotte's Toy" - we all know what it is!! - gross. Even the weird sister bonding on "Freezing" is pretty WTF? When you convert any anime to a 3-D Live action concept in your mind - You see the narrative as it really is....disgusting- lol.

Among the otaku population, yes it is a popular fetish. They have imouto cafes in Akihabara, many VNs have a little sister as one of the girls you can get a route with, and hell many VNs focus on the little sister fetish (like the recent eroge about a guy who goes to a school where all 365 students are his sisters). Its also quite a popular fetish material to make LNs about these days. I think its actually a fetish a lot of people have, but because its socially unacceptable, most people just never let it be known.. but otaku aren't ones to care about what society thinks about them, so they are more open to their fetishes.
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="RyanSaotome"]
RogerSterling wrote:
To be honest
Among the otaku population, yes it is a popular fetish. They have imouto cafes in Akihabara, many VNs have a little sister as one of the girls you can get a route with, and hell many VNs focus on the little sister fetish (like the recent eroge about a guy who goes to a school where all 365 students are his sisters). Its also quite a popular fetish material to make LNs about these days. I think its actually a fetish a lot of people have, but because its socially unacceptable, most people just never let it be known.. but otaku aren't ones to care about what society thinks about them, so they are more open to their fetishes.

I guess - I know the "younger sister " of my buddy thing is cute- similar to the 'Childhood Friend Character' (mentioned in "Genshiken") - I guess I'm just too "Vanilla" for such exotic things - lol.

I could see treating an adorable girl like your "Little Sister" - I.E. Shiori ("Yellow") from Momoiro Clover Z bills herself in her intro as "Everyone's little sister" and she's sweet & charming that I could see that - I guess I don't see it because I never had a little sister. My older sister didn't even have "hot friends" - I've lived a sheltered life buy Japanese Otaku standards.

It's still gross though.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
Okay. It's not a literal thing. I'm willing to accept that.

But then that brings in my other point: Why not say what you mean? Because when you quote a law that says "90% of everything is crap," you should reasonably expect people to believe you think that 90% of everything is crap.

Let me try to help here. You’re definitely overthinking it at this point. Granted Sturgeon’s Law is silly hyperbole. At worst it’s just a pet peeve of mine, nothing serious. But I can kind of understand where you’re coming from. But yeah you’re definitely overthinking it. I believe, based on what he himself has said, that tempest simply meant that most anime are not exceptionally great. Most anime are not masterpieces, etc. (specifically in the context of how a reviewer would approach a show). Saying 90% is crap is just another way of saying that in a more attention grabbing manner. It’s a figure of speech. An apple a day doesn’t actually keep doctors away. It just means apples are healthy and good for you. Same principle. Take my advice, you’re worrying over nothing. It’s all good. Oh look another figure of speech.

Anyway here’s another way of looking at it that may help. My issue with Sturgeon’s Law was because the adage never rang true, even in a completely figurative sense, for me from my experiences. Then I realized it was because I was applying it to what I’ve personally seen only. That stuff had already been filtered based on my likes and interests thus a lot of it was deemed good and the adage did not ring true. Once I expanded beyond stuff I was predisposed to enjoying Sturgeon’s Law made a bit more sense. There is a lot of crap out there. It’s still not something to be taken too seriously though.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Among the otaku population, yes it is a popular fetish.

No disagreement here; there's plenty of supporting evidence for it even beyond what you mention.

Quote:
I think its actually a fetish a lot of people have, but because its socially unacceptable, most people just never let it be known.. but otaku aren't ones to care about what society thinks about them, so they are more open to their fetishes.

Here I strongly disagree. Based on my (admittedly not scientific-grade) observations, the fetish is considerably more common in Japan that it is in the States. As an example, I just checked out a Web site which posts both American erotica and hentai original and doujinshi works and has a filter for various fetishes. Using the "Sister" and "Incest" fetishes together, I came up with around 950 titles, or about 6.5% of their total selection, for Japanese-originating content. The site didn't have a single American erotica title which dealt with the sister fetish; what little they had for incest at all was parent/child.

Now, I'm hardly saying that such fetishes are unknown in the West, but they definitely seem to be far less common. Panty fetishes are well-known to be vastly more common in Japan than the U.S. (or probably most Western countries, for that matter), so I hardly find it strange that the sister fetish might be more prevalent there, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 23