• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Manga Battle (Questions)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I'm some kind of fearless/stupid collector: I've got 59 dropped-by-publisher series in my collection. Seven of those have been picked up by other publishers, but the other fifty-two... I did buy several of those series after they already looked dead (Nodame Cantabile, Nosatsu Junkie, Song of the Hanging Sky and a few other Tokyopop titles I finally decided to check out after it was too late. Immortal Rain was so so good! And I remember picking up Diamond Girl v1(-and-only) in a fit of rebellion when I saw it at the bookstore, soon after CMX announced its shut-down). But I absolutely think all those series were worth reading, even without the guarantee of an ending.

My observation with Viz dropping titles is that it's fairly rare, and I think they've only truly quit on a few Shueisha titles—Gintama, Crimson Hero, Inubaka? Other low-sellers seem to get switched to once-a-year releases, like Kaze Hikaru (from Shogakukan) or Excel Saga (from Shonen Gahosha, now bumped up to twice-a-year?). I don't know if that's just coincidence... Anyway, I think Viz (and every company) is more cautious with titles it picks up now, so I don't expect to see newer series being dropped in the near future.

As for Kurosagi, I originally read that series picking up random volumes from the library (I went sorta in order, but when there was a missing volume I just skipped over it temporarily). The stories are all episodic, so it's definitely enjoyable even if you can't read it entirely in order.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I think they finished Inubaka.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... according to ANN, the US releases only reached v17 of 22. I don't read the series, but I remember seeing a fuss online when people started wondering what happened to the rest of it. (why wasn't there any fuss for Crimson Hero? poor unloved shoujo sports title...)
Takokujin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Hmmm... according to ANN, the US releases only reached v17 of 22. I don't read the series, but I remember seeing a fuss online when people started wondering what happened to the rest of it. (why wasn't there any fuss for Crimson Hero? poor unloved shoujo sports title...)

Actually, you are right. I had to go back and look.

/facepalm
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2