• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network in Trouble?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Juniper:
Quote:
ADV may have had the "balls" to invest in a network, but with the prospect of losing money, they're squirming in their wet knickers. This call out to anime fans is pitiful.

Yes, it's "pitiful" for a business to listen to its customers. Who are they to criticize exploding cars?

Quote:
You said it. Small audience. What reason does Comcast even have to keep TAN around, if it's catering only to a small audience?

Because that audience has helped expand their service?

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of anime fans do NOT get TAN. I can wait around as long as I want, but I'm still not going to get TAN in my area. Why? There's simply no demand.

So you just want to b**ch and moan, instead of trying to get people in your area to sign up with you?

Quote:
Gainax was started by fans, but they still release all sorts of Eva stuff every year to make money. Just because a company is started by fans doesn't mean that they don't make business decisions for money.

True, but unlike Gainax, ADV actually puts in more effort to make sales.

Quote:
Companies like Streamline and AnimEigo, one could argue played a huge role in today's (American) anime industry.

Streamline's been mostly swallowed up by ADV, and Animeigo is only slightly larger than it was 15 years ago.

Quote:
I can assure you that the Japanese know how to market anime.

Which is why some shows never even get finished?

Quote:
ADV came along at an opportune time and made some wise business choices that allowed them to be as they are now. But under no circumstances can anyone ever say that ADV is to thank for the American anime industry. That's just ignorance.

Yes. Those Rumiko Takahashi tv shows from Viz and Animeigo were the reason the industry is a success story. Forget about Devil Hunter Yohko, Blue Seed, and Evangelion.

Quote:
You're citing one case in a few. I remember buying Eva on subbed VHS for 2 episodes a tape for over $30.

Different market.

Quote:
I'm not saying that I dislike ADV. I, in fact, have nothing against ADV. But to blindly root for the underdog when there are no concrete facts of what's going to happen

So by that logic, we should stop supporting anime altogether.

Quote:
By the way, in case you didn't know, large shadowy corporations don't just pop up in the middle of the night to oppress people.

Except when they're Halliburton.

Quote:
Every large shadowy corporation started out as a small company.

Actually, mosy large shadowy corporations are the product of consolidation at the expense of the down-sized.

Quote:
Believe it or not, Comcast is run by people who were once "one of us," too.

So Comcast is run by anime fans?

Quote:
Saying that they should care about anime, when most of their patrons who subscribe to Comcast don't give a damn, is selfish.

Given the fact that anime fans pay the same rate as regular Comcast customers, I'm not sure how it's "selfish" for them to have a say in the service they're provided. The fans are not paying to see what the other customers want. They're paying to see what they want. And if they don't get what they want from Comcast, they have the right to take their business elsewhere. This isn't China or Saudi Arabia. (Yet.)
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Juniper wrote:
Gainax was started by fans, but they still release all sorts of Eva stuff every year to make money. Just because a company is started by fans doesn't mean that they don't make business decisions for money. If that's the way you think, you're in a for a real shock when you leave college.

Wow? A business makes money? Shocked I never EVER knew that! Here I was, thinking people just create things out of thin air, and live off change they find in their couches. And to think I took Economics.

I am fully aware that the point of a business is to make a profit. However, I prefer a business out to please fans as well as make a profit to one who doesn't give a damn about fans.

As to Gainax with their Evangelion merchandise, bring it on. I love collecting their Asuka figures. I'm a fan, and I like toys. They know that, and if they give me what I want, I'll gladly give them my money.

Juniper wrote:
That's one of the most erroneous statements one could make. Companies like Streamline and AnimEigo, one could argue played a huge role in today's (American) anime industry. Some of the biggest distributors out there (Geneon, Bandai) are merely branches of a Japanese parent company. I can assure you that the Japanese know how to market anime. ADV came along at an opportune time and made some wise business choices that allowed them to be as they are now. But under no circumstances can anyone ever say that ADV is to thank for the American anime industry. That's just ignorance.

Not ignorance, just opinion. Completly brushing off what ADV has become and why can be considered either ignorant or stupid. ADV was one of the first American anime distro companies to pop up and actually make anime a nitch in the industry to be reckoned with. AnimEgo is older, but they never really branched out in expanding the company to bring in more titles, nor did they create as much of a fanbase as ADV did.

AnimEgo has to this day not really more than twenty titles, and out of those only about 5 have a minimal fanbase (Stuff like the Oh! My Goddess OVA, Urusei Yatsura, Kimagure Orange Road, and original BGC) Nothing that can compare to the fanbase of something like Evangelion, which like it or not, did indeed bring out a gigantic new generation of anime fans here in America, and not only did it bring in those fans, it could be considered the main property that made ADV what it is today. Their aquiring Evangelion was both a wise business choice, and also at the same time something good for the anime industry here. I can't tell you how many people I've shown Evangelion to that turned them into fans of anime, but it's a big number. AnimEgo didn't buy properties that could appeal to a new crowd as well as old, they just licesed stuff that appealed to the die-hard oldschool anime fanboys, which is not a good move if you want to get your company bigger.

Juniper wrote:
You're citing one case in a few. I remember buying Eva on subbed VHS for 2 episodes a tape for over $30. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

That was years before they could actually afford to sell for cheaper, so you putting in the old format that anime was released is kinda useless since it's no longer like that. If you were around at that time, you should remember that Viz and other companies were selling tapes for the same price, for about the same about of episodes, if not more for more expensive. What this has to do with it is that it proves ADV is not afraid to put out a boxset worth over 150$ for just a third of the price. Heck, they're throwing away money they can possibly make here. They're just doing something nice for the fans. This is not the only title they've done it with either, so it's not one case in a few. (look at the BGC 2040 boxset, and their new "Essential Anime Collection")

Juniper wrote:
I'm not saying that I dislike ADV. I, in fact, have nothing against ADV. But to blindly root for the underdog when there are no concrete facts of what's going to happen is just falling prey to their PR department scrambling to save their ass. As I've said before, most anime fans don't get TAN anyway. This matters a lot less in the grand scheme of things than you think.

I live in a small town in Florida that doesn't get TAN. However, I am fully aware of their programming, and I want it. I've seen a lot of what they're airing, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I haven't seen a lot of what they're airing, but I want to. The more sucessful TAN gets, the more likely I'll be getting it soon. I'm rooting for the "underdog" because they have what I want, so I'm not "blindly" rooting for them. I would be rooting for Comcast if I didn't already have Utena and 12 Kingdoms on dvd, which are the only CPM titles I like. They aren't even showing those either.

Juniper wrote:
By the way, in case you didn't know, large shadowy corporations don't just pop up in the middle of the night to oppress people. Every large shadowy corporation started out as a small company. Believe it or not, Comcast is run by people who were once "one of us," too. Saying that they should care about anime, when most of their patrons who subscribe to Comcast don't give a damn, is selfish.

"one of us" as in regular people, or an anime fan? GATSU makes a good point. Getting some person running an "anime" channel who has no idea what's popular, and what anime fans go for is not someone I'd want running an anime channel. Getting someone with over 10 years in experience with anime, who also own a booming distro is someone I'd trust more, and would prefer to turn to. Your comment of "saying they should care about anime, when most of their (Comcast) patrons... don't give a damn" goes against the point here. We're anime fans, and we want the best anime on our cable we can get. We don't care about Comcast in general, we just care about it when it concerns our favourite animated addiction. I don't give a damn about Comcast, I rarely watch tv. I just want my TAN, and if Comcast is attempting to get rid of it by creating a poor parody, they can go to hell for all I care.
Juniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
"one of us" as in regular people, or an anime fan? GATSU makes a good point. Getting some person running an "anime" channel who has no idea what's popular, and what anime fans go for is not someone I'd want running an anime channel. Getting someone with over 10 years in experience with anime, who also own a booming distro is someone I'd trust more, and would prefer to turn to. Your comment of "saying they should care about anime, when most of their (Comcast) patrons... don't give a damn" goes against the point here. We're anime fans, and we want the best anime on our cable we can get. We don't care about Comcast in general, we just care about it when it concerns our favourite animated addiction. I don't give a damn about Comcast, I rarely watch tv. I just want my TAN, and if Comcast is attempting to get rid of it by creating a poor parody, they can go to hell for all I care.

We keep going back to the same erroneous assumption that Comcast is going to be the people running the new anime channel (if there is one). Has anyone from Comcast said that? No. Has anyone from ADV said that? No. Comcast is just a content provider. They don't make their own channels. They buy content from other people, and they think there's a possibility that a different business acquisition would make more money than the one they have right now.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of anime fans do NOT get TAN. I can wait around as long as I want, but I'm still not going to get TAN in my area. Why? There's simply no demand.

So you just want to b**ch and moan, instead of trying to get people in your area to sign up with you?

Considering I have no desire to even *get* TAN, I'm neither b**ching nor am I moaning. Trying to get people in my area to sign up with me? There are NOT THAT MANY anime fans out there in the general populace. Do you know why big cities can sway a company? Because they have numbers. My area doesn't. Simple as that.
biliano*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I've just finished reading most of these posts and let me say that this has to be the most controversial topic ANN has issued since I've been using this site.

Please remember, people, that while anime is gaining in popularity, it is only making a slight dent into the crowded enterainment industry. Anime is still competing with other forms of entertainment - sports, movies, reality TV, music, and so on. The vast majority of people in North America don't know what anime is, and how great the medium is as a form of pure entertainment.

I don't understand why everyone thinks that ADV is turning into a monopoly. When I see the word "monopoly", I think of what George Steinbrener is trying to do with the NY Yankees and MLB (and yes, I might show some bias because I live in Cleveland). I agree with littlegreenwolf that ADV is out to please the anime fans as well as make a profit. Most companies strive to please their customers as well as make a profit.

Another thing that I don't understand is all of the bashing of companies trying to market anime into the American public, especially the ridiculous comments that Juniper kept writing about. Of course the Japanese knows how to market anime, since it is their own product, but so does Bandai, FUNimation, ADV, Geneon/Pioneer, VIZ, TokyoPOP, CPM, AnimeEgo, Manga Ent., and all the other companies I don't have room to mention. The goal of all these companies is for the promotion and growth of anime as a major factor into the entertainment business.

All of these posts (and the negativity of some of the comments made) led me to ask this question: Does anyone believe that anime in America is a fad?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Does anyone believe that anime in America is a fad?

I think it's a niche market that still has a little room to grow but will never come close to being as mainstream as Dreamworks' or Pixar's or Nickelodeon's productions, aside from a handful of merchandising-oriented kiddy franchises.

I'm still personally very skeptical that there is enough of a non-child audience for one anime channel to be profitable. I still think programming blocks on existing cable channels where the domestic distributors don't have to worry about the steep overhead of running a channel are the best route to promote non-kiddy anime series to a slightly wider audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
At least most of you people have a Anime channel to argue about, you should appreciate what you have.

Nobody likes to lose money, ADV do what they have to do as a company, to survive the business world so to speak. Like many people here I have nothing against ADV and what they do, infact I support all the anime (and manga) companies in what they do and I am greatful of what they have to offer.

I believe going directly to the fans is a good way of getting support, 1 in 4 people will probably carry out ADV's plea of support and if I could, I would support ADV on this matter.

I do have quite alot to say on the matter but most have already been said by others. I agree alot with what littlegreenwolf had said.

I'd rather have ADV than no ADV!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
If Animax pops up on Charter Digital, spiffy. If TAN pops up on Charter Digital, spiffy. I dont care where it comes from. Personally, I see it coming from Sony, since it's, you know, Sony.
yoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty embarrassed to even be saying this Embarassed , but it does seem like anime has become a "fad." Sure there are always going to be the harcore otaku who have backed the anime movement since its early days, but there a lot of people who think its the cool-okay-so-i'm-different-than-you-and-i-don't-care-about-popularity-so-there-flavor-of-the-month crowd. Just a couple of years ago, no one wore Chuck's, everyone does now because they think its the cheap-way-to-be-a-punker-whilst-also-appearing-like-i'm-having-teen-angst thing to do. It's getting tired seeing this happen. Maybe I'm one of those people eating up the flavor of the month but for now I enjoy anime. I don't coochie-coochie-menchi-menchi-love-love anime but it's fun to watch. I think ADV should just stomach the blow if it comes and rely on their super-relentless-no-holds-barred-ruthless licensing approach to get them by. Yeah that's it. Sorry for all the hyphenated jibber-jabber. Laughing
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quote
You know, if the Anime Network fails, it'll be its own damn fault. You can't blame Comcast. There are other cable networks out there. If you want to blame anyone, blame Sony! The evil horrible looming corporation! Don't blame the other evil horrible looming corporation that actually hits closer to home. Since we are so called "anime fans" ADV should be more of a problem. Why don't we go for the real underdogs, AnimeNation, even CPM, Manga Ent. Oh, because they didn't have the money to license as many titles as ADV? ADV is huge now. They're one of, if not the largest, anime distribution company. They've got enough dough to make a live-action evangelion movie with WETA. Not bad. If we have another television network that specializes in anime, I say GREAT. Why not? I don't want to be stuck with just ADV. If you lose TAN on comcast, go to satellite. Or hey, how about this, DEAL WITH IT. Life is about dealing with stuff. This is one of those little things you have to deal with. Don't complain you losers. Remember back in the day when there wasn't even one anime network? Those were the days, weren't they? Hell no. The more the merrier is what I say, but considering I don't get any of those channels, I can careless. If ADV wants to keep their sales, make sure they show good shows. I can't believe they're actually scared..."Oh no! We came up with this first! No one else should be allowed to do it!" That's the message I get, and "It Stinks." Don't go running to the "fans" to complain about another channel being made to compete with yours. As long as there's anime, and lots of it I might add, available on television to someone, anyone, then our job is being handled wonderfully. First came the licensing of lots of Anime, next it's the massive invasion of television, then it's the world. So what kind of "fan" are you ADV?

This is just your run of the mill lurker telling ADV, DEAL WITH IT.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
ah, just to clarify. I meant "loser" in the nicest of ways ^^.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
They've got enough dough to make a live-action evangelion movie with WETA.

Correction, they got enough dough to produce a bunch of production art, a couple of animatics, and a lot of press releases.

They still don't have a studio interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
hahaha, touche

It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they're trying though....
kenshin77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
I live in one of those Big cities (LA) that have alot of anime shops, and plenty of fans who are anime fans. I could careless if TAN or Comcast or Animax comes out to broadcast Anime. Untill either of channels can get into Satellite providers I could careless if TAN goes "belly up". Call me selfish, but I have supported TAN, and have asked My satellite provider to get the Anime network, but there hasn't been any acton from ADV or my satellite provider.

Last edited by kenshin77 on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:07 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
hkrok76 wrote:
They've got enough dough to make a live-action evangelion movie with WETA.

Correction, they got enough dough to produce a bunch of production art, a couple of animatics, and a lot of press releases.

They still don't have a studio interested.

Don't forget that the current average production + marketing cost for a movie by a major studio is over $100 million. To make a movie like Evangelion, I'd imagine that much more would be needed for both production and marketing. If I recall correctly, the licensing cost for an average anime series is about $2 million. I'm sure ADV has the money to license 50 anime series, but certainly not all at once.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Don't forget that the current average production + marketing cost for a movie by a major studio is over $100 million.

Well, yes, for that sort of film. That's why I doubt it will ever get made without studio interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8