• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In-Development Ninja Scroll Burst Anime's Teaser Streamed by Madhouse

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

Lots of anime sucked in the past as well. I think that audiences from the west take themselves too seriously. We think that our opinions mean something for the Japanese people when in reality they couldn't care less. Anime is a Japanese product for Japanese audiences and the people from the west don't get it.

This isn't an East-West thing. Plenty of other people in the anime industry have mentioned that it is very tough to get something that they are passionate about off the ground. Katsuhiro Otomo, a few guys involved in Cowboy Bebop, even a producer interviewed by the otaku-friendly site Danny Choo have mentioned that it is tough.

I don't think 'modern animes suck' (since I like Hyouka and Kokoro Connect after all) but I do think that producers are less willing to take risk. And I think it's a crying shame if it comes at the expense of more artistic projects, because art is really a long-term investment that pays off very well, but only after a very long time.

Anyway, if Ninja Scroll had a difficult time than I should consider myself pretty fortunate. I haven't seen the original Ninja Scroll but from this trailer it does look like something that would appeal to me.

In my opinion, rather than "sucks", modern mature anime is just not geared toward the general population. Rather it's to make profit from otakus who have very specific tastes, hence you get similar shows from every season. I don't enjoy Chic flicks because they're not aimed toward me, but I wouldn't say they sucked just because I don't like them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2