• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DreamWorks Animation to Acquire Classic Media Studio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Warner Brothers already holds most of the (formerly public domain) Rankin/Bass titles such as the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. If Classic Media has Rudolf and Frosty then that's probably what they're after. Those properties are still profitable, particularly in merchandising.

Although I'm sure they'd find many of the other titles of interest, but it's the western animation that Dreamworks is after. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a Spielberg version of Godzilla.
anemayfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
If I had to bet, I'd say Dream Works is probably after Frosty and Rudolf, but the numerous other titles are a nice bonus too.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Classic Media also has He-Man: Masters of the Universe and She-Ra: Princess of Power.

So does this mean that Dreamworks will have DVD distribution of these titles? Glad I picked up all 5 season sets of Rocky and Bullwinkle when I did! Anime hyper
crazychild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
While Rudolph and Frosty are probably worth a lot around Christmas time, there are tons of more valuable properties in this deal that are ripe for a hip, CGI, poop joke and pop-culture reference laden makeover (don't forget the obnoxious dance song in the commercial!). All the Harvey Comics and Jay Ward characters, Gumby, Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo, at least some stake in Felix the Cat. And don't forget the live action comedies of things that weren't comedies! Owen Wilson as the Lone Ranger, Dwayne Johnson as Turok; think of the possibilities!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Super awesome if this somehow means good stuff for Saber Rider fans.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Classic Media also has He-Man: Masters of the Universe and She-Ra: Princess of Power.
I thought the entire Filmation library belonged to a company called Entertainment Rights. Confused
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will affect that Saber Riders video game at all?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I thought the entire Filmation library belonged to a company called Entertainment Rights. Confused

It was Entertainment Rights went bankrupt and was bought by Boomerang Media which then merged it with its Classic Media brand.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Though my big concern is that what will this mean for Voltron fans?

Cause I definitely want to see an UNCUT english dub version of Go lion,and this license have me worried cause if the govt can side with the horror that is 4kids during their license issuses, i fear that it'll be the same thing for Go Lion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
If Classic Media has Rudolf and Frosty then that's probably what they're after. Those properties are still profitable, particularly in merchandising.

I agree. I can see sequels abounding.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Cause I definitely want to see an UNCUT english dub version of Go lion,and this license have me worried cause if the govt can side with the horror that is 4kids during their license issuses, i fear that it'll be the same thing for Go Lion.

Uh Media Blaster handle Voltron and it's Japanese counterpart. Classic Media is not the one handling Voltron's American release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Uh Media Blaster handle Voltron and it's Japanese counterpart. Classic Media is not the one handling Voltron's American release.

I know that. Unfortunately MB only released the UNCUT japaneese version of Go Lion. The only english dub version they released was the edited english version that is Voltron.

Kinda weird that Saint Seiya got an uncut english dub but others cant get one. Especially classics like Sailor Moon and Go Lion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
The 4Kids case was pretty much open-and-shut - the licensors failed to uphold their end of the agreement and so were penalized. If you want to blame someone, blame them for not reading their own fine print.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I know that. Unfortunately MB only released the UNCUT japaneese version of Go Lion. The only english dub version they released was the edited english version that is Voltron.

Kinda weird that Saint Seiya got an uncut english dub but others can't get one. Especially classics like Sailor Moon and Go Lion.

World Events Productions produced Voltron in the US and currently has rights to Go Lion and the other show they spliced into it. They licensed home video rights to Media Blasters, and later to Classic Media. Also, Classic Media is only releasing Lion Voltron, and not the rest of the series, or the subtitled versions (at least for now.)

WEP has had the show and the rights to Go Lion for nearly thirty years and has shown no interest in doing an uncut dub. If it didn't happen during the early and mid-2000 boom, it's not going to happen now.

Also, to respond to a previous poster, what the hell does the government or 4Kids have to do with any of this?
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
srsly for real bring back nostalgia of nickelodeon playing rocky and bullwinkle show
harvey so old school
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2