• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Spinoff Seikishi's 3rd Anime Promo Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
What's the point of calling it a Tenchi spinoff if there aren't any of the same characters? The only relation apparently is the main character is Tenchi's half brother? (And, mind you, I haven't seen the newest Tenchi OVA but thinking back to the first, Universe, and In Tokyo, where would the possibilities for a half brother on a different planet fit in? Weren't Tenchi's parents from Earth?)

I understand the reasoning that Tenchi is already an established name, but you'd think by this point there's more people whose reaction is "Oh God, not another crappy Tenchi spinoff" than "Oh yay, new Tenchi series!". IMO I'd probably be more likely to watch it if it was just something with a completely different name with "By the creator of Tenchi Muyo!" slapped on the cover/promos/etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
You have to keep in mind that in the OVA universe everyone is related to each other some how. Laughing This is looking rather more interesting than GXP did. I mean I can see that it's yet another Kajishima harem fest, but at least the story has a bit more meat and potatos on it.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
While this may be another old-fashioned Tenchi spin-off, these promos continue to whet my appetite!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Despite the horror of the newer Tenchi Muyo anime, this actually seems like a pretty good idea to me now. Kajishima seems like he's going for more of a fantasy angle now, and that's a good change. Hopefully this is better than that terrible third OVA that ruined Tenchi proper for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The third movie did that for me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The third movie was beautiful. :p

It was that second movie that was awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
What's the point of calling it a Tenchi spinoff if there aren't any of the same characters? The only relation apparently is the main character is Tenchi's half brother? (And, mind you, I haven't seen the newest Tenchi OVA but thinking back to the first, Universe, and In Tokyo, where would the possibilities for a half brother on a different planet fit in? Weren't Tenchi's parents from Earth?)

I understand the reasoning that Tenchi is already an established name, but you'd think by this point there's more people whose reaction is "Oh God, not another crappy Tenchi spinoff" than "Oh yay, new Tenchi series!". IMO I'd probably be more likely to watch it if it was just something with a completely different name with "By the creator of Tenchi Muyo!" slapped on the cover/promos/etc.

I completely agree. Seriously, when did Tenchi's father or mother divorce or have an affair? I can only assume it's not his mother's kid because he looks younger than Tenchi and Tenchi was pretty young when his mother died. But he's from another planet... hmmm, so there goes my assumption. There is no logic in this new guy being Tenchi's half-brother

And seriously? Why make a Tenchi spin off again? Doesn't even look like one, kinda like how Angel Links was an Outlaw Star spin off, but didn't look like it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan, he's the son of Nobuyuki and his new wife, Rea, who married in the third Tenchi OVA.

It's... uh, best that you don't bother with that one.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Ack! I can't believe this! I just checked the Seikishi site last night and this wasn't up yet and I thought, I guess they won't update for a while. ANN just gave me a little present today... Thank you. Very Happy

rizuchan wrote:
where would the possibilities for a half brother on a different planet fit in? Weren't Tenchi's parents from Earth?

malik_chan wrote:
I completely agree. Seriously, when did Tenchi's father or mother divorce or have an affair? I can only assume it's not his mother's kid because he looks younger than Tenchi and Tenchi was pretty young when his mother died. But he's from another planet... hmmm, so there goes my assumption. There is no logic in this new guy being Tenchi's half-brother

Like penguintruth said, Kenshi Masaki (Tenchi's half-brother) is the son of Nobuyuki and his second wife, Rea, who were married at the end of Tenchi OVA 3. Unlike penguintruth, I believe that if you are a Tenchi or Kajishima fan, you should check out OVA 3 and see for yourself whether you like it or not (it was released by Funimation and they're releasing a new, cheaper, Viridian box set this year). I believe that it is best for people to see with their own eyes, rather than rely upon the eyes of others. I'm with the group of people who like OVA 3, so it is possible you might like it, after all (although I totally agree with penguintruth that the third Tenchi Universe-continuity movie, Tenchi Muyo! In Love 2 or Tenchi Forever, was beautiful--simply lovely Anime smile ). I'm not sure why both rizuchan and malik_chan are under the impression that Tenchi's half-brother, Kenshi, is from another plant. I'm going to assume that the premise for Seikishi is confusing them. Kenshi is from earth, born to Tenchi's father and his second wife, as stated above, and then is somehow transported to another world in another universe.

Yes, malik_chan, Kenshi is younger than Tenchi (by about 19 years, I think). Also, it's funny that you ask if Tenchi's father or mother had an affair because I recently read that Tenchi's mother had an affair with a member of the Kuramitsu family (Mihoshi's family), who I think, if I remember correctly, was the half-brother of Washu's husband, Mikamo. It sounds like this affair happened before she married Nobuyuki. Her affair produced a daughter--Tenchi's half-sister, Miyuki Kuramitsu, who married her cousin, Mikumo--Washu's son. None of this information has appeared in anime form--yet. Wink It's information provided in a family tree/character relation chart drawn up by Kajishima. This is yet another one of many examples that show the truth contained within what Mohawk52 said--everyone in the OVA continuity is related to each other somehow. Such truth is one of the reasons that I'm perpetually fascinated by the OVAs and their related series.

rizuchan wrote:

I assume that the people who gave the go-ahead on this project believed that there are people out there who are, in fact, quite excited by the prospect of a new Tenchi series. Even though I'm not Japanese, I for one am excited. I doubt that the people who are making this series are concentrating on presenting something for the enjoyment of fans in other countries. They are probably concentrating on creating something for Japanese hardcore fans of Tenchi and Kajishima's other works--the demographics that they are closest to and most aware of. If there is a demand for more Tenchi-related material in Japan, then it makes sense that they are making this. If there wasn't a demand, I find it highly unlikely that this would have ever gotten off the ground. No matter how much people can't believe that there's something new that's Tenchi-related coming out, no matter how much people look down on it because they believe that it is just some "spin-off," no matter how much people don't seem to understand why there is more "Tenchi" being made, it's still being made. This news update is proof--there is finished animation. There are projected dates for the first release.

Look past the "Tenchi Muyo!" label if you must. C'mon, give Seikishi a chance.

The animation looks beautiful... Love those updated character designs... And I have no idea why some people have said that Kenshi looks like a tool (whatever they mean by that)--I think he looks adorable, tough, and just as exasperated by the ladies as Tenchi was.Anime catgrin

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:04 am; edited 3 times in total
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Tenchi family tree talk

haha every time I try to think about the damn Tenchi family tree, it gives me a massive headache trying to sort it out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for them to say the third Tenchi OVA was a big April fools joke, and give us a proper conclusion just as beautiful and magestic as the first two OVAs. Crying or Very sad
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
uLTraCarL wrote:
Tenchi family tree talk

haha every time I try to think about the damn Tenchi family tree, it gives me a massive headache trying to sort it out

Heh, heh, I've seen quite a few people say that, so that doesn't surprise me, and I can understand how that can happen. The trick is to take the information a little bit at a time. I personally never get tired of trying to figure out how everyone's related to each other, whether by blood or friendships, etc. (maybe it really is just easiest to say that they're all related to each other Laughing ), although I do get frustrated over the information I find about relationships mentioned in the True Tenchi novels written by Kajishima and a family tree that he supposedly created. I just did some more research on the supposed affair that Kiyone had that I wrote in my above post and I found out that might not be true. What might be true is that Kiyone was married to a man before she was married to Nobuyuki and that the daughter she had with that unknown man was Tennyo, Tenchi's sister who appeared in OVA 3. That unknown man that was supposedly married to Kiyone, was also married to one Koyori at some point, and their daughter was Miyuki Kuramitsu (one of Mihoshi's fairly recent ancestors who ended up marrying Washu's son, who was the son of the man that married Miyuki's mother after he left Washu and after the unknown man who supposedly had also married Kiyone was no longer married to Koyori--I really hope that doesn't hurt anyone's head). But I'm confused because many sources say that Tennyo is Nobuyuki's daughter... Argh! Mad Grrr...secondhand information...

Shepperoni wrote:
I'm still waiting for them to say the third Tenchi OVA was a big April fools joke, and give us a proper conclusion just as beautiful and magestic as the first two OVAs.

I think that nostalgia, sentimentality, a fierce love of the first two OVAs, and a large gap of time between OVA 2 and OVA 3 are just a few of the reasons that a lot of Tenchi fans were let down big time. I'm truly sorry that you and many others were unable to enjoy OVA 3. I've never really felt disappointed by an anime in that way, but I did experience disappointment when I saw the movie adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass. But there were still parts I really loved (Iorek! Anime hyper ) and I grew to enjoy it quite a bit for what it was and now I'm only sad that they probably aren't going to adapt the other two books in the series. But there's nothing that I can do about it, so I accept that and look forward to other things--like Seikishi and the slight possibility of more (slice-of-life) Tenchi.

Besides, from what I understand of Kajishima's concept of the Tenchi universe, I don't think there really is an "end" to the story. Anime smile + sweatdrop I could very well be wrong, but I really don't think it's just Tenchi's story...
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
uLTraCarL wrote:
Tenchi family tree

Old joke.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kiyone was married to a man before she was married to Nobuyuki

WHAT!? Shocked
Okay, I was a bit misleading when I said I hadn't seen the new OVA. I actually watched 1 episode and didn't like it, end of story.

But I'm still a big fan of Tenchi Universe (Which I've been rewatching) and... and... I don't think I can think the same of it again. Crying or Very sad

EDIT: Nevermind, read more on it. Why would they have two characters with the same name? That's just wrong.

Still, I'm never gonna look at Universe Kiyone the same way, Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

The third movie was beautiful. :p

It was that second movie that was awful.
None of the movies had anything to do with Kajishima.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2