• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Spinoff Seikishi's 3rd Anime Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
The third movie did that for me.

The third movie was beautiful. :p

It was that second movie that was awful.
None of the movies had anything to do with Kajishima.

That's neither here nor there, really. I enjoyed the first television series and those movies a lot more than anything Kajishima has done in a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

None of the movies had anything to do with Kajishima.

That's neither here nor there, really. I enjoyed the first television series and those movies a lot more than anything Kajishima has done in a long time.
I enjoyed them too, and I think the third movie is the best of the lot. However, to me the OVA will always be the true Tenchi Muyo, even with the rushed OVA 3.
Keita-sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know that the Tenchi universes can be quite confusing. And there is still a lot of the backstory of the novels that has yet to see the light of day.
However, I am willing to give Kawashima-san the benefit of the doubt here, and reserve judgement until i can actually get to watch Seikishi. The third OVA was not AS bad as a lot of people seem to thinkit was. But, the charecter designs on the second Tenchi movie were a bit offputting to me. The first and third Tenchi movies were wonderful.. And Shin Tenchi Muyo (. . .In Tokyo) took some getting used to, as far as their charecter designs went.
My only complaint about the series is i wish they would put some more care into the OST's. Since they started the 2k's, it seems their music composition's falling off somewhat. GXP's soundtrack was fine. Third OVA's soundtrack was not as good as the first two OVA's soundtracks were. I hope they used the downtime between OVA 3 and Seikishi to beef up their songwriting.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The third movie "Tenchi Forever!" did seem to resolve some things, but the main reason I didn't like it was because it was a departure from the rest of the OVA series in tone and mood. It was mainly a depressing movie. By itself it was okay, but it had none of the things I liked about the OAV series other than the characters.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The third movie "Tenchi Forever!" did seem to resolve some things, but the main reason I didn't like it was because it was a departure from the rest of the OVA series in tone and mood. It was mainly a depressing movie. By itself it was okay, but it had none of the things I liked about the OAV series other than the characters.

As far as I understand, Tenchi Muyo! in Love and Tenchi Forever are a continuation of the Universe TV series, not the OVA, so the departure from tone of the OVA would be deliberate. I really liked how it resolved which of the girls Tenchi secretly harbored feelings for, I don't think it could have ended better that way.

And that's a funny thing about the 3rd OVA. I don't know if this true, but I thought I heard that the creators of the OVA said that Tenchi would actually choose someone in the 3rd OVA, but somebody stepped in and said 'No, that would give it too much of a resolution, especially if we plan on doing more with this series.' Even when Funimation first marketed the 3rd OVA, they had the tagline, 'Who will Tenchi choose?' So the only thing that turned me off about the 3rd OVA was that nothing really happened. Regardless, it was really sweet seeing Ryoko's moments with Ryo-ohki in the first episode, and Sasami had a sufficiently kick-ass fight scene. Although it could've been better, I'm still proud having it a part of my collection.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You have to keep in mind that in the OVA universe everyone is related to each other some how. Laughing This is looking rather more interesting than GXP did. I mean I can see that it's yet another Kajishima harem fest, but at least the story has a bit more meat and potatos on it.

Well i liked GXP,though even i admit it was inferior to it's OVA.

Also this one is kinda interesting,not to mentioned the main character looks more serious than tenchi or sena.Hopefully when it comes to girls he's not as dense as those two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Digishade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
As far as Tenchi goes, 'Universe' is the most complete out of all of the series, though I hear 'Tokyo' was at least understandable, though I've never seen it. (I've heard it's an abomination and should be avoided.)

I, however, prefer the OVA's, yes, even the much maligned 3rd OVA that we all waited forever for. I just can't stand the fact that Tenchi, as a character, has no real balls. :p

Anyway, 'Forever' was a great movie, and I didn't mind TMIL. I'm also fairly sure that I'm one of the few people on earth who didn't mind Mayuka in Movie 2. It was mostly the 'universe' mixing that bothered me the most about that film. Universe Kiyone and Light Hawk Wings? I can has clarification?

Anyway... I don't know what to think about this series at the moment. I'll give it a go, most likely.

I should definetly go out and buy DUAL! though. :)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Digishade wrote:
Anyway, 'Forever' was a great movie, and I didn't mind TMIL. I'm also fairly sure that I'm one of the few people on earth who didn't mind Mayuka in Movie 2. It was mostly the 'universe' mixing that bothered me the most about that film. Universe Kiyone and Light Hawk Wings? I can has clarification?

The second movie, I believe, takes place in the continuity of the novels written by Naoko Hasegawa, the original writer of the first OVA (she didn't like the direction the series went so she made her own), and I think she first came up with the character of Kiyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2