• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kiddy Grade Spinoff Kiddy Girl-and Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I have my suspicions that "Kiddy Grade 2" turned into this. Or at least they probably think that this one will be better. From what I have seen the series has been in demand for so many people that I know locally, it's like a phenomenon. I've interpreted the series to be interesting myself. This one will be interesting to follow.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's no sign of KG2 on the official website, so that idea's more than likely gonzo... as in gone, not the animation studio. Wonder what happened to it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wanted Kiddy Grade 2. Miraculously, the characters got kind of interesting by the end of the first one, and was hoping they would continue along that line. This is sort of frustrating. Why can't they just put these new characters along side the old ones?

Still too early to say whether I will give this one a shot. I guess it could be good. I just don't think KG requires a spin-off. It already has plenty to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news! It might not be Kiddy Grade 2, but as long as it's good and not some half-assed thing I'm excited!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The original Kiddy Grade had potential but bombed big time with me during the second half. Not sure if I'm interested in this at all... I wasn't a fan of Keiji Gotoh's other work Uta-Kata either, so his track record for me is 0-2 so far.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wants to say yay and wish that those who have been waiting for this are happy and will enjoy this series but....

This is another sequel for a year with a lot of sequels/remakes this year/next year. We have now moved beyond the shows being similar to "X" series and have moved into sequel/remake territory. I hope it's not a trend or a signs of things coming.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
So I'm guessing they scrapped what they planned for KG2, started from scratch, and now we have this...

Not really.. it is still a sequel as planned and (other than Ascule hair) the characters are the same as in the pilot (down the the clothes).

Now excuse me while I fangasm and start updating left right and centre. If I wasn't so busy the last couple of days it wouldn't've taken me till 2am to pick up on this... and I checked the KG site only a couple of days ago as usual and there was no update..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Sales did quite well.
Ah, good to know.

Hmm, should we take that as a sign ya'll are interested to see what this new series is like too? I certainly hope this new series will happen and be good enough to be picked up too.

lheiskell wrote:
You can also watch all 24 episodes of Kiddy Grade streaming on FUNimation.com.

Link: http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=48
I've got it on DVD but I've been watching Shikabane Hime on the video portal as well as checking a few other things out. Pretty good set up. (Funimation's YouTube isn't bad either.)

I hope the video portal is turning out to be a successful venture.

lheiskell wrote:
Lance
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Overlord
I'm always grateful for my overlords. Without everyone at Funimation, my anime collection would be a lot smaller. In fact, since the very first anime series I bought was from ya'll, I might never have started a collection at all if not for my Texas Overlords! (Very affectionately used term.)
braves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
Sales did quite well.
Ah, good to know.

Hmm, should we take that as a sign ya'll are interested to see what this new series is like too? I certainly hope this new series will happen and be good enough to be picked up too.

Actually, I'm still waiting for them to pick up the movies. Though, it has been a long time, but still, I'm surprised that they haven't struck a deal with Gonzo to release them given that it sold well with them....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost finished with the box set of Kiddy Grade I just bought, so this news is very pleasant.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Actually, I'm still waiting for them to pick up the movies. Though, it has been a long time, but still, I'm surprised that they haven't struck a deal with Gonzo to release them given that it sold well with them....

As I understand it, the movies are basically a condensed version of the TV series. I don't believe that they really contain new material. As such, Funimation probably considered them a waste of resources. I'm sure that there are fans who would still want them, but my guess is that a large number of fans would skip it as soon as they realized that it wasn't new stuff. I'm OCD enough that I might buy them, but I expect that I'd regret it. I'm not a big fan of the idea of condensing a series into a movie. It just strikes me as a blatant attempt to make more money without producing much of value.

As for this new series, I definitely have mixed feelings. I loved Kiddy Grade and I'd love to have more of it, but focusing on new characters and ones that are likely as young as they look is considerably less appealing to me. I'd have much preferred to have more Eclair and Lumiere - especially if it were a prequel which explained more about their pasts better. The previous series touched on it, but there was obviously a lot more that they could have done with it, and I found the girls' pasts to be one of the most interesting aspects of the shows. It looks like the new series really does threaten to be "kiddy" - which I don't, personally, view as a positive thing.

In any case, I'm definitely going to take a wait and see attitude with this one. I'm excited that they're doing more, but I'm not sure that I like where they're going with it. It may turn out to be quite good though. And who knows, maybe they'll manage to have some interesting surprises in it similar to what they pulled with the previous series with regards to the characters' backgrounds and such.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Well the way I see it, is that they are focusing on what sells, which is why we're seeing sequels and remakes. My hope is that the market doesn't become dominant with sequels and remakes, as that maybe a sign of something else.

But enough doom and glooming here.

I know of people/relatives who would be excited by this announcement. For them, congratulations, you are getting more of what you like.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
braves wrote:

As I understand it, the movies are basically a condensed version of the TV series. I don't believe that they really contain new material. As such, Funimation probably considered them a waste of resources. I'm sure that there are fans who would still want them, but my guess is that a large number of fans would skip it as soon as they realized that it wasn't new stuff. I'm OCD enough that I might buy them, but I expect that I'd regret it. I'm not a big fan of the idea of condensing a series into a movie. It just strikes me as a blatant attempt to make more money without producing much of value.

Nah, I still want them too. Green Green, Vandred, el Hazard, Armitage and many others all had "movie" adaptations that really contained nothing new, but was just a compilation of the original episodes. Some were well done, some cut out way far too much and destoryed itself, and others did just plain okay. For the ones that were well done, doing the compilation made the story MORE enjoyable than the original format it was presented in, and actually made a very good addition to a collector's library. That MAY also be the case with the Kiddy Grade "movies". Since I like Kiddy Grade, I would be willing to take a gamble on it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
As I understand it, the movies are basically a condensed version of the TV series. I don't believe that they really contain new material.

They did contain new material, just not much (and half of that was stills); there was only one short new scene of any import. The sound effects were also completely redone but I didn't consider it an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
They made a Green Green movie?

*shivers*

Anyway. I'm happy we'll be getting more from the Kiddy Grade universe. Here's hoping it's an enjoyable series like the first was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4