• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
So in one case it would have to be something that could air on TV/Satellite/Cable in some way, with a measure of risk, so while Full Metal Alchemist was a hit when it first came over here it would be concerning if a remake of it was an unexpected hit here, as there is already a built in fan-base so it already is less risky in the NA market.
Good point, the FMA manga story didn't just have a rich and complex cast of characters, but the plot itself is original and inspiring at the same time. The production elements also have several real European historical references that will help the western audiences to relate themselves with, yet the creative use of Asian and Middle Eastern references will keep the background interesting. Now if only the existing international FMA fan base will be more kind and respectful about the anime(if that's not being risky nor optimistic, then it's me practically asking for a miracle here), then hopefully we'll see a more mature audiences with a good sense of morality and tolerance, who will treat the show with respect(I'm glaring at you, fansubbers).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I'd say a breakout would be something that would do unexpectedly well, like Cowboy Bebop, financial failure in Japan but when they brought it to the NA market boomed into a financial success. So in one case it would have to be something that could air on TV/Satellite/Cable in some way, with a measure of risk, so while Full Metal Alchemist was a hit when it first came over here it would be concerning if a remake of it was an unexpected hit here, as there is already a built in fan-base so it already is less risky in the NA market.

Cowboy Bebop was succesful in Japan, enough to get a movie made. The problem was that it was too violent for TV Tokyo, and it was only later that it found success on different channels.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
I'd say a breakout would be something that would do unexpectedly well, like Cowboy Bebop, financial failure in Japan but when they brought it to the NA market boomed into a financial success.
Cowboy Bebop was succesful in Japan, enough to get a movie made. The problem was that it was too violent for TV Tokyo, and it was only later that it found success on different channels.
Then the problem was not due to the story element in Cowboy Bebop, but the target audiences that TV Tokyo choose to aim for with the program. Honestly, I can understand their sentiment, but what the hell was TV Tokyo thinking when they considered airing Cowboy Bebop during prime time hour in the first place!? I know that "Kill 'em All" Tomino got away with a lot of things on his UC Gundam and all(hello Victory Gundam trauma), but COME ON! At least the mobile suits looked much cooler than a fishing boat turned spaceship, and sold much better as merchandises.
KannaLilly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
Cloe wrote:
I dare anyone to watch Plague Dogs and then insist that anime has a monopoly on "serious" subject matter.

"Plague Dogs", the German produced "Felidae", and the animated adaptation of "Watership Down" are some of the serious subject matter animated films that come to mind.

When you thing about it, those films have also been generally regarded as the most disturbing animated movies out there. The only one that I can think of worse is probably a banned one I've only seen on YouTube. I see your point on the subject matter, but even Watership Down was based on a book.

There are a lot of better ways to deal with mature subjects. You don't have to scare kids to death, just look at Death Note. Everyone loves it, it isn't scary, and it deals with the subject of social justice better than anything I've ever seen.

Anime, IMO, doesn't have a monopoly on serious subject matter, but it's rare anything else does it right.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
I don't think young children would find Death Note to be an enjoyable viewing experience, in addition to which I'd like to point out that Light saying of a rapist "they didn't deserve to die for what they did"... They were about to RAPE somebody, anything done to them at that point is fair game if it's necessary in order to stop them from raping. I'm not arguing rapists deserve to die as punishment (or be castrated, etc.) but Light saved a woman from being raped, and then felt the need to get all angsty about it. Just saying that "if you get raped you should feel guilty about defending yourself" is not a message children (or anyone of any age) should hear. I agree that Felidae is pretty disturbing, I would say considerably more than Watership Down, though I found both films to be worthwhile viewing and have them on DVD (I intend to watch them again). I haven't seen The Plague Dogs, but I do want to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10