• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Just going to say those 2 LoTR animation review read more like list of personal grievances over a review. I know it's not the best animation ever, but to complain about a 70's look to a 70's movie really isn't much of a complaint.

The point is that the designs for Saruman was awful, the main is mostly hair.

I wonder when the hell was the last time you saw it because the last time I saw it the reviews where spot on.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Mue90000 wrote:

“When i saw the question for this week it took me about a minute to think of the series that would fit this perfectly The series that this question definitely applies to is Death Note. If i had godlike powers I would have changed the ending to what it should be, Light killing everyone that is against him.

Oh god, my side hurts from the laughing. Laughing

Yeah, that would have been so edgy and cool, right?

Next break-out hit? I'd like it to be an anime adaption of 20th Century Boys, which I hope gets made some day.

Seriously? He thought that would be a good ending? Light was already an unlikable main character to begin with. Having him kill everyone and get off scot-free through the end without any sort of comeuppance would just be terrible, terrible writing.

... I hate Light fanboys..
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
While I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, it does interest me as well that we are seeing yaoi reviews here, and no hentai reviews (in recent aspects). Now I know that it is the choice of the staff/admin. But still, most of the yaoi titles out there do state that they are graphically explicit in nature and designed for readers over 18. As far as I know hentai was the same way. Just pointing it out, not saying ANN should go one way or the other.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree the ending of Death Note would have been unsatisfying if Light won. I mean, he wasn't a good person for cripes sake!

Anywhoo. On the Howl's Moving Castle comment. I preferred the book, I was expecting a huge departure mind you Miyazaki does that when he adapts things, but I found the book more satisfying personally.
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Of course the next break-out hit will be the new FMA-- if it's done properly. (From the trailers it seems to be like they just erased the ending to the original season, but I dunno if that's good or bad....) Very Happy
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
I want to say the next breakout hit will be the upcoming valkyria chronicles anime....

... but that and everything else is going to be overshadowed by the new fma......
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Mue90000 wrote:

“When i saw the question for this week it took me about a minute to think of the series that would fit this perfectly The series that this question definitely applies to is Death Note. If i had godlike powers I would have changed the ending to what it should be, Light killing everyone that is against him.

Oh god, my side hurts from the laughing. Laughing

Yeah, that would have been so edgy and cool, right?

Next break-out hit? I'd like it to be an anime adaption of 20th Century Boys, which I hope gets made some day.

Seriously? He thought that would be a good ending? Light was already an unlikable main character to begin with. Having him kill everyone and get off scot-free through the end without any sort of comeuppance would just terrible, terrible writing.

... I hate Light fanboys..

Seriously Death Note has one of the best endings ever. It destroys your view of Light by having him die without any dignity at all.

It also has one of the best "you suck" speeches ever where Near pretty much mocks Light while playing with handpuppets, plus I love the fact that Matsuda is one who takes Light out, because he respected Light's father show much.
OZ-13MS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
If you have not watch Avatar the Last Airbender do yourself a favor and do so. I was a skeptic, I would bash the show, and I would say how it was trying to be an anime. Then I ended up watching the Ba Sing Se arc and I initially was amazed and captivated. I was wrong, it wasn't trying to be an anime, its different. Its a mix of American and Asian cultures the chemistry is balanced. Enough American for it to be a cartoon and Asian cultural elements to keep it intriguing. I just couldn't believe that Avatar is an American show. The only upsetting thing is that you can't categorize Avatar as a cartoon or anime.

Samurai Jack brings a similar flavor that of Avatar and I found it complicated but very well put together even though it's an American animated show. There would be episodes where there will be no dialogue but It would brilliantly tell the story. The way the animation was created is very unique, every character, building, or background has no black outlines. Samurai Jack was awarded 4 Emmys for its success.

Another American show that I personally like is Megas XLR (Xtra Large Robot). The main character Coop is a slacker, a gamer, and he is overweight. He finds a robot, replaces the head for a muscle car, and replaces the control system with a bunch of video game consoles. He saves the world but he accidentally and intentionally causes more destruction himself than the bad guys. George Krstic who co-created Megas is now working as a writer for Star Wars: The Clone Wars which is the only American animated show that I watch once in awhile.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
Next breakout possibilities:

New FMA- you'll have a nice cycle of manga fans + existing anime fans feeding into it, and it in turn creating new manga fans.

A new Mamoru Hosoda film marketed properly from day one - even in Japan it seemed the distributors didn't know what they had until it started getting plaudits and critical acclaim. Hosoda has a very down to earth worldview that has a very broad appeal, but you've got to get it out there so people can actually see it.

An anime based on Rumiko Takahashi's next manga - Inu Yasha was quite the success for its time. With TV exposure what ever she does next should exceed that.

An anime based on a videogame/cardgame/toy that captures the zeitgeist for a new generation of consumers - Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh struck gold, and it's inevitable that someone else is going to come up with another multimedia success story down the line.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also helps that the lion's share of new anime airing in Japan is based off of previously successful manga series, which of course guarantees that it'll have a dedicated, built-in audience; an audience that is already receptive to the idea of drawn characters covering a wider variety of subject matter.

I think this is sort of the underlying problem with American animation. Anime has that pre-made fan base built right in. Even with anime not based on manga, there's still that connection between the fan groups. American animation just doesn't have that. It's a shame too because I think there's plenty of great source material to be found in US comics.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
leftbehindxp wrote:
Batman: The Animated Series was a fantastic show that went to so many levels not really seen here in American cartoons. But, and I know that this is used SO MANY TIMES, but the first thing that comes to mind is Avatar when thinking about the last cartoon that goes to so many levels. The story has depth, the animation is slick, and the ending brought up so much emotion. Though the recent Batman series, not the Brave and the Bold, felt like a return to the classic 90's cartoon Batman. Though, it cannot compare to it in story telling.

I believe even your most fanatical otaku would agree that Batman: The Animated Series is a quality show. It would be a strain for said otaku who would usually bash anything produced in America, but there you go.

Speaking of Batman: TAS, the producers drew much of the look of the show from the Max Fleischer Studios-produced Superman cartoons of the early 1940s. Take a look at those if you ever get the chance. You'll see what I mean.

I've had those Fleischer Superman in VHS! Yeah, that long ago. The animation was so smooth and natural... and it was made 7 decades ago! Cool
(Even anime did not get to that point for a long while.)

Anyways, besides Batman: TAS, pretty much anything produced by Bruce Timm in the DCAU (DC Animated Universe), including Justice League and yes, B:TAS. Those series tend to have underlying overall story arcs and even some mature storylines, like say adult romance issues (meaning issues in the love-life that adults go thru, not high schoolers).

OZ-13MS wrote:

Another American show that I personally like is Megas XLR (Xtra Large Robot). The main character Coop is a slacker, a gamer, and he is overweight. He finds a robot, replaces the head for a muscle car, and replaces the control system with a bunch of video game consoles. He saves the world but he accidentally and intentionally causes more destruction himself than the bad guys.

Fans are still waiting for the Megas DVDs! Laughing
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, besides Batman: TAS, pretty much anything produced by Bruce Timm in the DCAU (DC Animated Universe), including Justice League and yes, B:TAS. Those series tend to have underlying overall story arcs and even some mature storylines, like say adult romance issues (meaning issues in the love-life that adults go thru, not high schoolers).

QFT

Justice League in particular was just pure awesome. The Cadmus-arc in JLU could easily give any anime plot a run for their money.

Also, any series with the Question=win.
CG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
On the Answerfan response about Gankutsuou.
In the Novel, They're just about the same age, and they're even portrayed smoking. The lack of school, having an official status and even being a soldier is mainly due to the fact that these teenagers are nobles, who are socially privileged.
I think the fact that they are(just) fifteen actually makes the title (and the novel) more intriguing!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
One last thing about the Question of the Week:

Do you mean mainstream hit in Japan or in America? Confused

In America, it'd have to escape the otaku ghetto.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
But still, most of the yaoi titles out there do state that they are graphically explicit in nature and designed for readers over 18.

My guess is that the publishers are playing it safe. Dance Till Tomorrow had explicit sex in almost every chapter, but got away with a "mature readers" tag (rather than "adults only") on the cover. Roughly the same level of explicitness as 18+ yaoi, but DTT didn't have any gay or lesbian content.

Similarly, other than focusing on f/f relationships, I don't see why The Last Uniform has a 16+ rating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10