• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will you ever stop watching anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you ever stop watching anime?
You may take my life, but you'll never take my animu!
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Yes - plan to stop watching it eventually. (Marriage, career, studies, etc.)
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
No - even if my life becomes very busy, I'll try to fit one episode here and there.
68%
 68%  [ 100 ]
No - I'd go as far as to move things in my life around so I can watch more anime.
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 147

egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Kind of a silly poll, but I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing the results.

I'm going with "No - even if my life becomes very busy, I'll try to fit one episode here and there." I don't think that watching just a bit of anime would necessarily be a bad thing. The less I watch, the more I enjoy, and quality time will eventually make up for the lost quantity.

Anime used to be an irreplaceable part of my life, and while I still really like the medium and would miss it a lot, I could live without it. Although I don't really know of anything in life that could keep me away other than becoming blind and deaf.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
I chose the first option since "Yes-when I die" and "Only if I go blind" were not options.

Or maybe it should be "Yes, when I've slain my backlog-that is, when hell freezes over".
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Yes-when I die"

That's pretty much what the first is. Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
I haven't got a chance to sit down and watch an episode for over a year. No kidding. Rolling Eyes None of the four options above fits my situation, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
None of the above.

I've been watching anime for almost 15 years now and have no plans to stop anytime soon. However, I've had other interests that I followed intensly simply taper off and end. My basic answer is "no idea".
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
I chose "No - even if my life becomes very busy, I'll try to fit one episode here and there." because it's the closest to the truer answer of "It depends on my interest as I can easily go through spans without watching a single episode, but will eventually return and recapture an interest in it."
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
I voted for the third option. I just don't see myself abandoning anime shows anytime soon, even if my life may become hectic at any one time.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
There is no correct option there for me.

I do not plan to stop watching anime, and I do not understand why anybody would plan to stop watching it if they are still enjoying it, but I never know when I might just lose interest in anime.

I doubt that I ever will lose interest because anime is so diverse that not watching anime would be like not watching any entertainment at all. No matter what genres or types of stories I am interested in at any time I can always find something in anime that will satisfy me.

Last edited by Touma on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takokujin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
I doubt it, but life is crazy. You never know. However, I doubt I stop reading manga!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Anything's possible, but as it stands I see no reason to believe I'll stop any time soon. I'm in my mid 30's, so I'm largely past the age where a lot of people would have stopped. I still have lots of fun attending anime conventions, and I still find plenty of anime that I enjoy watching. So, it doesn't feel as though the hobby is no longer for me. Doesn't mean things in life won't change, just I don't foresee it happening any time soon.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I haven't got a chance to sit down and watch an episode for over a year. No kidding. Rolling Eyes None of the four options above fits my situation, though.

I don't even see how that is possible. Even if you were that busy, couldn't you watch some while studying or eating, or even at work? When I wrote the second option, the only "Yes [...]" I had reasons like yours in mind. By "plan" you can just assume that "in case I become too busy, I will not make time for anime, therefore I'll not watch any", therefore it counts as planning. So, in my opinion you'd fall in that category.

As for getting tired and quitting it for good, I don't see that happening, to be honest. I've never seen anyone say "I'm tired of movies, so I'll never watch any movie again". I have, however, seen people find other priorities and leave it aside (sports, marriage, career, etc.), which is also why I put the "etc." on the second option.

There's a lot of semantics going on here, that's for sure.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, the way you worded that second option does leave a lot up for semantics. I mean, when you say "plan" that makes me think that you're saying "Ok, I like anime now, but the second I get married, I turn 30, I get a cat, ect, then this hobby is over". So, yeah, semantics do come in to play there. Plan means you're expecting to do something. I don't expect or plan to stop watching anime, but what if yaoi becomes the big new trend? Or mecha? I'm really not a fan of either genre, and to be honest, I don't see that happening, but that's why I'm not planning on stopping watching. The problems with the best laid plans is, sometimes things happen that derails them.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I chose option 3. My anime time has decreased quite a lot recently - I've been pretty busy with other things, and my Sci-Fi collection has been getting more of my attention after a couple of years of serious neglect. I still try to fit in at least a couple of episodes or a movie each week, and I don't see myself ever giving it up completely. I still love it, and I always will.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Shame on you, you need to watch anime. An anime fan who never watches anime or has stopped forsakes their humanity and becomes like the rest of the mindless drones who occupy this planet (non-anime fans).

...j/k.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Maybe. Some of my hobbies are short-lived, some of them last a while, and sometimes I go through periods where I'm just not into it for a little while, before bouncing back.

That being said, I stopped watching anime once before as a kid, so there's always the possibility that I might do so again. But I don't see it happening any time in the near future. Too many shows/movies that I still need to see first Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4