• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: "Portrait of Pirates" "Luffy"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
KuroiTsubasa4 wrote:
CCSYueh: yeah, there was a beach set with Nami and Luffy released by Banpresto. Not portrait of pirates, but still pretty good quality.

I actually asked-she has both & the one in question (vest) is the one posted on the shelf on the bathroom door that I see all the time

Starre257 wrote:
A warning: even though cons have rules that you can't sell bootlegs, it doesn't mean that the retailers that get dealers room booths don't sell bootlegs on their websites. One dealer I see at almost every con I go to sold me a bootleg CD online. I really does suck when you realize stuff like that.

Oh, yeah.
Considering the usual price for cds in Japan, most anyone selling cds for $10 is selling bootlegs & that's most of the sellers I've seen. I've picked up a few, often in bargain bins for $5. I've also ordered a number of them (not bootleg) from CD Japan for the usual big bucks they want. And I've been picking up used cds from Book-off I hope are legit

Quote:
It was kind of funny, since he said the item wasn't a bootleg, but a "Chinese local version."

Oh my...
Don't you love it?

Last edited by CCSYueh on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
I hope that you left negative feedback on their profile, Rob. That way you can let everybody know that they do indeed sell bootlegs. If I'm looking at something and I see anything that has to do with China or Hong Kong, I don't even bother with it. It's a waste of time and money. This is also why a lot of the time I do not buy anime related products from Ebay. Too risky, and I've had it happen to me before.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
Plenty of collectors' toy shops in Greenhills, so almost all my anime figures are bought in person. Have noticed a few stickers indicating they were shipped from Hong Kong. Some are Diamond-distributed. Stuff shipped from Japan would be more expensive (going by HLJ's shipping calculator and currency converter).

eBay.ph sellers have suspiciously low prices, though. That and way too much boilerplate text and not enough item description in listings means I pony up for brick and mortar prices most of the time.
Kummi-ko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
I have all the POP figures (except the newest, as-yet-unreleased ones) and all are legit.

I own the V2 Luffy (the only V1 I have is the original Usopp and Chopper because it wasn't re-released in higher quality Crying or Very sad ) and I can say that his head does indeed come off. This is so his included straw hat can be easily put on and removed.

Just so everyone is sure Smile
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
It's haleriously ironic that this is the one thing that gets Bootleg article'd about.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
I've bought figures from Hong Kong before, well Kratos from Tales of Symphonia. I hope he was legit, but he was unboxed. Hmm.

I've also bought a couple of Gunpla off e-bay too.
dabura16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, this sheds some light on my Franky figure; he has the slight blue coloring on the top of his eyes though the overall paint app looks fantastic, the box has the legit Toei sticker but says made in china on the box...
poisondusk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
dabura16 wrote:
Hmmm, this sheds some light on my Franky figure; he has the slight blue coloring on the top of his eyes though the overall paint app looks fantastic, the box has the legit Toei sticker but says made in china on the box...

Most figures are made in China. That's why the bootlegs tend to originate there - they get stolen from the factories and copied. The stickers tend to get added in Japan, which is why it's very rare (but not unheard of) for bootlegs to carry them.
Fireline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Bricken wrote:
2) I can't speak for the V2 Luffy, but the V1 Luffy's arms and head are NOT removable. The only POP figure I know with a removable limb is Usopp/Sogeking.

Actually, most of the figures do have removable/interchangeable parts. Feel free to refer to the list another poster provided for verification.

I have most of the figures myself, and they have such parts. I can't expect you to know everything about all figures, and again, I agree that the figure you reviewed is bootlegged, but you should not condemn certain features as indicative of a bootlegged item.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I can understand your rage quite well. My most notable bootleg figure purchase was this gorgeous (and freaking expensive) Rozen Maiden PVC figure of Suigintou. The damn thing won't stand up and bows to the side horribly. I have to prop her up because she's so heavy. The legs are even starting to have a permanent bend to them now. I thought this was an official PVC figure and was stoked to find it. Now it's just a bitter reminder that my collection is forever tainted. Can Krauser make house calls? Evil or Very Mad
xinyingho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Bricken wrote:
2) I can't speak for the V2 Luffy, but the V1 Luffy's arms and head are NOT removable. The only POP figure I know with a removable limb is Usopp/Sogeking.

Can you tell us how can anybody put Luffy's straw hat around his neck in v1 ? Cause in v2, you HAVE to remove his head before.
Perfect Chaos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine bought a bootleg of this Luffy figure, as well, last October at an anime convention. Needless to say, his reaction was pretty much the same as what this article says.
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I wouldn't mind having this on my bureau. I completely agree with everything said by Rob, but the thing is... Rob is a collector. There are people out there (like me) that say "hey, I love this character! I want a figure of him." And they have it on their bookshelves just to look pretty.
Although the people making the fake ones are doing a big no-no. Not everyone will get on a soap box about it.
For instance, a couple of weeks ago I bought a package of SailorMoon figures on ebay. When I got them I thought they were pretty cool. I know in my heart that they are as fake as Vanessa Hudgens but that doesn't keep them from looking pretty next to my DVDs or from people saying "hey, these are nice".

Smile
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Krauser strikes again! That'll show that Luffy clone! Wink
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
A bootleg toy! w00! Brings back memories of Mike Toole's awesome column. I know the feeling of getting scammed by clever sellers, because a few years back I got conned into buying bootleg DVDs. And never got my money back. Arseholes.

...Anyway, that was a fun read. See, Rob, your reviews are always so much better when they're seething with hatred and vitriol. Sometimes I happen upon bootleg toys, mostly at the dollar stores and clearance stores, and if nothing else, I pick them up for the sheer cheese factor and to laugh at them, and play with them for about ten seconds before they fall apart from the cheap manufacture. For some reason, my local clearance store mostly sells transforming robot bootlegs/knockoffs, but oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3