• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funi Adds Seikishi, Yamato: R, One Piece: Strong World, Fairy Tail Film, Akira

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
*eye twitches* Really? They picked up MORE ecchi and lame fan service animes? So effing lame, companies need to stop getting a hold of it.

They also Picked up Lupin and Yamato, like come on!?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar

Tenchi is Sir Not Appearing in this Anime From that leaked banner, we already knew it was coming. Hope this is in BluRay.

The Yamato pick up is interesting, but I wonder how big this will be outside of old Star Blazers fans and those who are already predisposed to liking old style space opera and Leiji Matsumoto stuff. I didn't think that particular film was all that good though.

Sankarea and Lupin make sense, but Maken-ki is a nice pick up. Terrible show, amazing character design.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
SHUT UP FUNI! JUST TAKE MY MONEY!

LOL HEY THAT RHYMES!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Fujiko and Space Battleship Yamato is cool and if they put Akira on BD (pretty please) I will double dip on that one.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Maken-ki[...]but it just kinda fell flat in the end

That seems ironic considering the art and figures I've seen for it.

^I see what you did there Razz . I only saw the 1st episode, and that was more than enough. But, that is the only title I went "meh" about.

Was not expecting Yamato and was expecting Akira even less Shocked . And with these One Piece 101 things, my chances of getting into that show now will likely be higher. Also interested in that Tenchi Geminar thing. Thing is, it really flew under the radar; I was only ever able to find a working fansub of the 1st episode. Well, I'm more than cool with these announcements...

Vata Raven wrote:
*eye twitches* Really? They picked up MORE ecchi and lame fan service animes? So effing lame, companies need to stop getting a hold of it.

*eye twitches* Really? You're focusing on the VERY SMALL PORTION that's ecchi and ignoring the bulk of the announced titles? So effing lame, forumites should stop being so narrow-minded.

Last edited by the Rancorous on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Damn. I'm actually impressed. More One Piece, the best One Piece movie (an actual One Piece movie other than the Alabasta one they got years ago!), Akira, Lupin, Fairy Tail, Tenchi... I think this was a great panel.

Man, Akira's gone through so many North American home video different distributors, it's mad:

MGM/UA
Orion
Streamline
Lionsgate (Canada)
Pioneer (later Geneon USA)
Bandai
FUNimation

As for Lupin, PLEASE for the love of GOD, PLEASE get Meredith McCoy back as Fujiko! I thought she sounded awesome in the movies (such a great sarcastic, spunky, yet sexy voice). Plus, it'd be nice to hear her again doing more voicework. It's hard to say. She reprised her role of Maria Ross for FMA Brotherhood (but not Kyle), though she didn't voice Android 18 again in DBZ Kai (likely because of scheduling, and since Colleen Clinkenbeard was more readily available, though I personally didn't care for Colleen's performance).

As for the Tenchi franchise, I hope this includes the Mihoshi Special, and the Pretty Sammy stuff. It's about time the spinoff was licensed...

All FUNi has left to license with Fairy Tail are the OVAs.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
formerroadie1 wrote:
SHUT UP FUNI! JUST TAKE MY MONEY!

LOL HEY THAT RHYMES!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL I was wondering if someone would notice Wink
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

I honestly couldn't care about Lupin, they used t dub the series a while back, but they dropped it. I'm surprised they even picked up more of it.

And whatever this Yamato is, I wouldn't even watch it, I'm not into space, military junk. And from the votes I see, it's decent at best.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Everything except Maken-ki and Tenchi are purchases from me. This news just made my day Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Also interested in that Tenchi Geminar thing. Thing is, it really flew under the radar; I was only ever able to find a working fansub of the 1st episode. Well, I'm more than cool with these announcements...

It came out as an OVA, obviously with no simulcast, and a ton of different groups worked on it, usually months behind. Now that it's all complete and still retains a sizable following, it makes sense to license it, even more so when you can slap the Tenchi name all over it.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

I honestly couldn't care about Lupin, they used t dub the series a while back, but they dropped it. I'm surprised they even picked up more of it.

And whatever this Yamato is, I wouldn't even watch it, I'm not into space, military junk. And from the votes I see, it's decent at best.

So what do you like then?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Fujiko is an automatic buy, as is the Strong World movie, while I don't buy the One Piece sets because I'm more of a manga reader, that movie was great.

Looking forward to giving you my money Funi.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've had a copy of the Geneon DVD release of Akira for years (it's the edition that came with the CD of the Symphonic Suite which was very nice) but have never watched it and I skipped the BVUSA BD due to cost. I also own a VHS copy of the (not quite) Streamline dub. My question is, is there any chance FUNimation will take a page out of what Nozomi did with some of the Dirty Pair releases and have both dubs on their release? That's probably the only way I will double-dip, as I have noticed, at least with older films, the increase in picture quality is not that great (did an A-B comparison with the Nausicaa BD and DVD and could not see that much of a difference even on my 54" 1080p plasma).

I may be interested in buying the new Lupin series but I would want to check a few episodes first since it seems to have gotten a very mixed reception.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Glad to know the new Lupin III will be getting a dubbed release - and I'm looking forward to the Yamato reboot!

Funi doesn't have the Yamato 2199 reboot, they've got a movie that's a sequel to the original (and might also fit in after the reboot). I don't know if I'll get it, or not. The imports of 2199 are really my first encounter with the Yamato franchise, since I never watched Starblazers or the movies from long ago.

I've been considering importing Lupin/Fujiko. I'll have to see what's in the Japanese boxed set. I may or may not buy Funi's release.

I don't think that I liked Sankarea enough to buy it, even at Funi's prices. I've already got the original Akira BD. A Tenshi-ish OVA series from 2009-10? I'm not remembering having heard anything about it until a month or two ago... ^^;
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
STRONG WORLD AND SEASON 5!! STRONG WORLD AND SEASON 5! STRONG WORLD AND SEASON 5~~!!!!!!

Anime cry I-I....I'm so fuckin happy right now......

oh, we're also getting Lupin and Akria? thats ni-

OOUUUUUUUUUGGHHHHH!!! WE'RE FINALLY GETTING MORE ONE PIECE!!! Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13