• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Confirms Dragon Ball Kai is Edited to Follow Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z?

Quicken the story presentation?

This is unheard of.

Although this no doubt will increase the chances of a new generation possibly checking out this show, it loses some of it's mystic, no? I mean DBZ was one of the original shows that was so bad it is good, and the long drawn out fights were a big reason why it became so popular when the show originally aired over here in the States. But I guess as long as the original versions of the show are still available no harm no foul. Though the enhanced footage will no doubt look much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Now if only they'd edit the series so that it ends with the Freeza saga. Then it would really adhere to Akria Toriyama's actual vision of the series.
Toriyama orginally wanted to stop the manga after 10 volumes. I'm not sure where people get that from.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into this whole "let's redo everything to that it closely follows the manga" trend, because I think it means less originality. I am looking forward to a less nonesense version of Dragon Ball Z, but I hope they don't do this for everything.

I wonder if this means less shots of birds flying in the sky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Keep fights, lose BS "nothing's happening so let's have Buu walk around town looking for Ice Cream" episodes.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I never planned on watching this series, as it seemed like too much of an investment to start. However, with this news, I may finally get to at least taste what made it so enjoyable back in the day.
Overlord Z-ko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Keep fights, lose BS "nothing's happening so let's have Buu walk around town looking for Ice Cream" episodes.

But the complete filler episodes were the best ones. Of course with the edits to shorten the fights that may no longer be the case. Anyway I hope there first priority is making the fights shorter and more dramatic that cutting out filler. The problem with DragonballZ wasn't the filler, but but them padding out episode length by sreching the fight scenes for way too long.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Well gee, with cutting out filler they'd be making the series practically a season and a half shorter Laughing But honestly speaking it sounds good. Can't wait to see how this one turns out as well.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Toei are too cheap to re-animate the series then, eh. What a shame, I highly doubt there's enough detail in the old 16mm films to make a good HD master, that's already been proven by the DB films that there just isn't really enough detail.

Shame on Toei.

Who wants to see old 1980's/1990's animation re-edited into something new.....?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Toei are too cheap to re-animate the series then, eh. What a shame, I highly doubt there's enough detail in the old 16mm films to make a good HD master, that's already been proven by the DB films that there just isn't really enough detail.

Shame on Toei.

Who wants to see old 1980's/1990's animation re-edited into something new.....?

I'll raise my hand, but cautiously. It really depends. There's tons of OVAs and movies that could it help, but a nearly 300 episode show? No way.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
KitsuneMiku wrote:
yay! DBZ is now watchable.

And it only took 20 years!

Dargonxtc wrote:

DBZ was one of the original shows that was so bad it is good

So now it'll be actually good, albeit pulpy, instead. Sounds like a good trade.

Dargonxtc wrote:
the long drawn out fights were a big reason why it became so popular when the show originally aired over here in the States.

Eh, seriously? I wasn't part of the DBZ popularity bubble. For me, that's the stuff that started to put me to sleep.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like good news to me.
Very curious to see this.
I always wondered why the U.S. distributors didn't edit it down when they first aired it on US TV; IIRC, they ADDED some movies in to the show for even more filler.

Though the talk about changing the music is disconcerting. No Kageyama "Cha-La Head Cha-La"?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd be ok if they remastered that driving license episode. Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably still gag over Toriyama's atrocious character designs if I tried to watch this new version, but if the twenty-minutes-of-yelling that I found so ridiculous in the only episode I ever watched is the exact sort of thing that's being removed, maybe I'll finally consider it having crossed the line into "barely watchable." Who knows...miracles can happen. Razz
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not 100% positive on how I feel about this.

I've heard that Toriyama was not pleased with what DBZ became after a good while. I mean, heck, he didn't even jump on board with DBGT, none of that stuff was done by his hands (save maybe the character designs). So, for that, I'm happy he can do what he wants with it.

However... I still don't quite understand why it's necessary to alter an original piece. If you want to retell a story... I think you should retell it. For example, I wasn't pleased with the Special Edition versions of the original Star Wars trilogy (is this a strange comparison?), or other tweaking done to it now that it's been re-released again on DVD. It's not really the same, I suppose... and I'm also not sure about how I feel about the re-telling of Evangelion. I mean, my biggest problem with those two franchises is that I feel that making your special effects out of so much CG does not necessarily make the story telling any better. But, again, that's not something I can argue about this Dragon Ball Z edit...

...the point is that I wish that if someone wanted to retell the story, they should just start from scratch, perhaps? Just make it all brand new? I mean, I've personally already seen Dragon Ball Z, suffered through all of the endless hours as it is. Something about it is just nostalgic that way. But I know that it can't please everyone. And I know that a new audience needs a lot of the "filler junk" removed to even slightly be able to enjoy it.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm just torn. But good luck to Toriyama, as it is what HE wants this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'd probably still gag over Toriyama's atrocious character designs if I tried to watch this new version, but if the twenty-minutes-of-yelling that I found so ridiculous in the only episode I ever watched is the exact sort of thing that's being removed, maybe I'll finally consider it having crossed the line into "barely watchable." Who knows...miracles can happen. Razz

How much experience you have with 80's anime? Toriyama's designs are pretty good & have inspired mangakas since. One Piece & Rave Master are obvious, as is the early Jing.

It really depends how much they're going to fine tune it. Some things are obvious & easy to remove like Garlic Junior & Snake Way. Possibly they are planning to snip episodes to combine them, but it really just seems more likely they'd just remove the eps that were completely filler vs 10 minutes of powering up here or oggling girlies there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4