• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Gundam: The Origin, Wolfsmund Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Amazing news - I still go through the old Viz editions of The Origin on occasion, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's art is just tremendous (Bright's expressions alone!)

I may have to pick up the Azuma book too, I hadn't heard of the newest one and it's quite neat to see it being announced relatively quickly like this.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Wolfsmund is a maybe, but it might be too gory and dark. I'll wait for reviews from the blogosphere and ANN.

If you dont like em dark then you wont like wolfsmund, there are no happy endings in the stuff I've read.

Personally though im pretty stoked i'll be picking it up for sure.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Never had the interest nor inclination to check out the Gundam franchise, but I'll wait for reviews to see if maybe this will be a decent start and could be read as a stand-alone story. Then again 23 volumes in hardback for a franchise I'm not really into is a bit of a hard sale, first volume would really have to grab me.

Actually it's ten volumes in hardcover. 23 volumes of the paperback are combined to make the set.

Quote:
Wolfsmund looks sort of interesting, and I might actually like it. Though if it is only a series of stand alone chapters with no real continuing characters the series better be short because I don't think that sort of format works over longer series.

actually there is a continuing story. The story is about William Tell and his crusade against the Wolfsmund.

Hi, Ed! Thanks for responding to me. Well I can say that your comments have drastically increased my interest in both titles. Though I do think I'll wait for reviews to come in before I run out and buy Wolfsmund, or at least I say that now.
But fun new titles that are interesting a nice addition to the Vertical catalogue, not like I don't give you enough of my manga money already, I'm sure you'll appreciate more. Rolling Eyes (Can't wait to hear what the Josei title is)
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Never had the interest nor inclination to check out the Gundam franchise, but I'll wait for reviews to see if maybe this will be a decent start and could be read as a stand-alone story. Then again 23 volumes in hardback for a franchise I'm not really into is a bit of a hard sale, first volume would really have to grab me.

Actually it's ten volumes in hardcover. 23 volumes of the paperback are combined to make the set.

Quote:
Wolfsmund looks sort of interesting, and I might actually like it. Though if it is only a series of stand alone chapters with no real continuing characters the series better be short because I don't think that sort of format works over longer series.

actually there is a continuing story. The story is about William Tell and his crusade against the Wolfsmund.

Hi, Ed! Thanks for responding to me. Well I can say that your comments have drastically increased my interest in both titles. Though I do think I'll wait for reviews to come in before I run out and buy Wolfsmund, or at least I say that now.
But fun new titles that are interesting a nice addition to the Vertical catalogue, not like I don't give you enough of my manga money already, I'm sure you'll appreciate more. Rolling Eyes (Can't wait to hear what the Josei title is)

Josei title!? I love josei manga! Very Happy Is there anymore information on this title made public yet? I'd love to hear it if there is!
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

Josei title!? I love josei manga! Very Happy Is there anymore information on this title made public yet? I'd love to hear it if there is!

Someone is keeping tight-lipped about it, but it should be announced at New York Comic Con alongside a Tezuka title.

https://twitter.com/Vertical_Ed/status/228243938895605761
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

Someone is keeping tight-lipped about it, but it should be announced at New York Comic Con alongside a Tezuka title.

https://twitter.com/Vertical_Ed/status/228243938895605761

Okay thanks.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, The Origin is fantastic. I have the Aizouban editions published so far, and they're absolutely gorgeous; if the Vertical editions are anything at all like them, we're in for a real treat. I kinda hope Vertical's adaptation is a bit less...utilitarian than Viz's was. Yasuhiko really manages to convey character through dialogue, and though Viz's translation was plenty decent, I felt that it didn't really match the original for sheer characterization.

Just a correction: the series is going to be at least 11 volumes in hardcover. There are 2 tankouban volumes per hardcover, and 23 total, though it remains to be seen if there'll be a larger 11th volume or a shorter 12th one. I'm thinking it'll probably be the latter, as there's a short Sayla epilogue written by Yas that takes place three years after the end of the series. I imagine that'll be included.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
Excellent, The Origin is fantastic. I have the Aizouban editions published so far, and they're absolutely gorgeous; if the Vertical editions are anything at all like them, we're in for a real treat. I kinda hope Vertical's adaptation is a bit less...utilitarian than Viz's was. Yasuhiko really manages to convey character through dialogue, and though Viz's translation was plenty decent, I felt that it didn't really match the original for sheer characterization.

Just a correction: the series is going to be at least 11 volumes in hardcover. There are 2 tankouban volumes per hardcover, and 23 total, though it remains to be seen if there'll be a larger 11th volume or a shorter 12th one. I'm thinking it'll probably be the latter, as there's a short Sayla epilogue written by Yas that takes place three years after the end of the series. I imagine that'll be included.

Vertical_Ed wrote:
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
Not only are we getting Origin but we are getting it in hardcover! I'll definitely be picking this up.

I'm going to preorder it all... Vertical's hardcovers go quick!

I don't buy much manga so thanks for the heads up!
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:

Vertical_Ed wrote:

Unless Vertical is doing something different than the Japanese releases, then no, it's at least 11. Volume 10 of the hardcover volumes was just published, and it's not the ending.
taco123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, I'm wondering. With how many manga chapters there are for Origin, how many anime episodes would that translate to?

They still haven't released any info on the supposed anime. I'm skeptical about whether it'll happen with all this silence. Maybe the Gundam headmasters don't want the original story to be retold/ruined.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2