• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: OniAi Romantic Comedy TV Anime's 1st Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Note to Japanese people: having a bathtub that big and not inviting all your friends to join in the bath with you is not very GREEN.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Eyepatch girl with blazing red hair and a killer bod....why wasn't she in Bodacious Space Pirates.

She'd have actually made the show interesting, can't have that now.
Also because then there would have actually been a reason to call the show Bodacious Space Pirates. But since that makes sense, they would have needed to change the name to Flat Chested Space Ninjas.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Eyepatch girl with blazing red hair and a killer bod....why wasn't she in Bodacious Space Pirates.

Likelier she'd've brought it nearer to being the kind of show that I appreciated it for not being. You know nothing of her characterization, but because she has a big rack and an eyepatch, you're already considering her net positive. Oy vey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

Likelier she'd've brought it nearer to being the kind of show that I appreciated it for not being. You know nothing of her characterization, but because she has a big rack and an eyepatch, you're already considering her net positive. Oy vey.

Well, I'm not a fan of the character in question, but the character design is very important to me in terms of interest. Many of the anime I watch are for the female characters, so if the promos show characters I really like the designs of, I will watch it for sure.

Like for this season, I absolutely adored the character designs for Konatsu (Tari Tari) and Michiru (KoiChoco), so I knew they were must watches from the promo charts. They haven't disappointed so far.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I like the song and the very bright colouring.

However, Nakaimo's trailer also looked very fun and bright.

I get the feeling that a lot of these comedies start out with a fun premise and then lose steam, like a joke that was funny the first five minutes you hear it and then gets stretched out too long.

Edit:

RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, I'm not a fan of the character in question, but the character design is very important to me in terms of interest. Many of the anime I watch are for the female characters, so if the promos show characters I really like the designs of, I will watch it for sure.

I'm also a character design person. I realized that I bought quite a number of volumes of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle solely for Fai Flowright's character design (the story was really quite ridiculous).

However when it comes to anime, I find that a good character design is often marred by lousy characterization and an unengaging story.

This is why I think that my discovery of Pixiv's publications to be a godsend. I can get all awesome character designs without letting the story bother me. It's more fun to imagine the stories for the characters / illustrations in the Pixiv publications than in watching some anime.

Last edited by dandelion_rose on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the same page with you RyanSaotome, and from what I can tell the character designs here are just "ok" and not great. Then again I liked some shows with weaker character designs because they made up for it elsewhere in the dialog. That can be greater "fanservice" than anything if done right.

Nisemonogatari is a great example of this, the most recent Kiss x Sis OVA also. Of course Nisemonogatari has great artwork so it wins either way.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

You're trying to make me an alcoholic aren't you? You're not real! You're a fabrication by a conspiracy that wants to give me cirrhosis of the liver so I won't live to lead the resistance against SKYNET!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

Actually, looking at her design she wouldn't be out of place in an Oh! great manga/anime.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

You're trying to make me an alcoholic aren't you? You're not real! You're a fabrication by a conspiracy that wants to give me cirrhosis of the liver so I won't live to lead the resistance against SKYNET!

Eh, usually I agree with you Surrender Artist, but this time I have to disagree. Bodacious Space Pirates was to me one of those stories where the character and mech design far outweigh the rather awkward story they were in (it wasn't glacial...it was just awkward).

I mean, you can't argue that Marika is really pleasant to look at (in the 'nice character design' way, not the 'ecchi' way) and that the ships were begging to be made into high quality models.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Moretsu Pirates was that I was promised Moretsu Pirates, and got Moretsu Overly Armed Totally Legal Courier Service. I was looking forward to some seriously awesome piracy stories and instead I got a bunch of stories about decidedly minor errand running and slice of life shenanigans. Maybe if I wasn't promised piracy I'd have been less put out by that, but it was a considerable let down.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
With Bodacious Space Pirates, I expected an ecchi romp with lots of cool piracy stuff going on. Needless to say, that show disappointed me quite a bit.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ITT: People fail to understand Katou Marika's massive SWAG and complain that the best female character since always doesn't show enough skin.

Can we go back to the incest show?
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
With Bodacious Space Pirates, I expected an ecchi romp with lots of cool piracy stuff going on. Needless to say, that show disappointed me quite a bit.

I'm also very surprised that there is very little doujinshi out for the show. Maybe summer comiket could fix that.

If you want ecchi, get the posters bundled with Megami and Nyantype (I think you posted them in a thread here a few weeks ago).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
I'm also very surprised that there is very little doujinshi out for the show. Maybe summer comiket could fix that.

I see a few things on pixiv, but it's hard to judge what we get until the scans start showing up.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Re: Eyepatch girl: might I be the only one who thought her face was all bloody in the thumbnail pic for the trailer?

dandelion_rose wrote:
I like the song and the very bright colouring.

However, Nakaimo's trailer also looked very fun and bright.
Nakaimo's Ed is the best theme song of the year IMO.

Sorry I keep hijacking threads with Nakaimo. I'm completely obsessed with it Embarassed

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sold.

I've grown weak. The show conquered my heart when I read the summary and watched the video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3