• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Show Profiles Missing Girl Heading to Anime Cons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope they find the girl alive and arrest that guy ASAP.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell from what I've read, the girl went with the dude willingly. Who knows what their motivations could be? I suspect it's some kind of twisted love affair. Or maybe she had a reason for wanting to escape her family? It's hard to say; there are some situations that I think it's better not to get involved in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
As far as I can tell from what I've read, the girl went with the dude willingly. Who knows what their motivations could be? I suspect it's some kind of twisted love affair. Or maybe she had a reason for wanting to escape her family? It's hard to say; there are some situations that I think it's better not to get involved in.
Or maybe she just wanted to skip out on school and go to anime cons for a few months. It certainly could be a twisted love affair, but for all we know there could be nothing sexual going on. It all reminds me of this famous mid-90s trial of someone who "abducted" a girl that willingly went with him Wink

And why am I thinking that this is going to turn into yet another black mark on anime fandom's reputation? "Tonight on FOX News: Anime fans: depraved paedophiles who abduct young girls and drag them to their amoral weekly bacchanals."
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]
gatotsu911 wrote:

And why am I thinking that this is going to turn into yet another black mark on anime fandom's reputation? "Tonight on FOX News: Anime fans: depraved paedophiles who abduct young girls and drag them to their amoral weekly bacchanals."

Unfortunately, I would not be suprised if that happened.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Who cares? I enjoyed anime before all the craziness started happening. What a couple knuckleheads do doesn't speak for the million of fans of anime. If the media wants to make us look like fools, then that's their problem.
And if people stop liking you because of anime, they weren't really your friends in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Who cares?

At the very least, anime fans who attend conventions should care. This is exactly the bad type of publicity that makes hotels and convention centers nervous. If anime cons become associated in the general public's mind with pedophiles luring teens and young children, then hotels and convention centers will become even more reluctant to rent function space to conventions. My experience has been that hotels and convention centers are already nervous about renting to fandom-oriented events in the first place. It doesn't matter that most conventions are safe; it's the perception of cons that influence rental facilities' decision, not the reality. Any publicity that adds to the public's negative opinion of fans and fan gatherings will hurt conventions in the long run.
Spiked Vash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If anybody wants to see it here (mark 4:25), featuring Naruto and something and an anime dealer room video and a Texas anime con Bleach Captain Komamura Sajin cosplay photo.

The suspected car, BTW, is a beat-up white 1994 Mercury Cougar with Oklahoma license plate VRW 932.

But don't forget to watch the other missing children as well.

Hmm, I wonder if the person in this photo could be him at Ikkicon: http://trsrockin.com/ikkicon09/20.jpg

Besides, the girl in the photo looks like the missing girl, too. If this IS the suspect, it's not good.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
At the very least, anime fans who attend conventions should care. This is exactly the bad type of publicity that makes hotels and convention centers nervous. If anime cons become associated in the general public's mind with pedophiles luring teens and young children, then hotels and convention centers will become even more reluctant to rent function space to conventions. My experience has been that hotels and convention centers are already nervous about renting to fandom-oriented events in the first place. It doesn't matter that most conventions are safe; it's the perception of cons that influence rental facilities' decision, not the reality. Any publicity that adds to the public's negative opinion of fans and fan gatherings will hurt conventions in the long run.
Exactly, public relationship is not just for show, it's about put up a damn good show to appeal the general masses. What any convention boils down to is a big publicity stunt/gathering. So any kind of bad publicity, no matter how insignificant that it might seems, it's bad for the convention business.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Spiked Vash wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if the person in this photo could be him at Ikkicon: http://trsrockin.com/ikkicon09/20.jpg

Besides, the girl in the photo looks like the missing girl, too. If this IS the suspect, it's not good.

Nope. Not the Perv. Girl also is innocent.

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/a156767/
http://drjubal.deviantart.com/

My guess if the girl was obsessed with Captain Komamura, she'd have at least a collection of images of the Bleach Captain at best on her computer or on some form of removeable media (which might include the image in question seen on AMW). Parents/Police go into her room and personal effects, find said image, notice the similarities with the accused perv, and go from there.

tl;dr: Mistaken identity FTW. Guilty until proven innocent.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Really? With all that money involved they'll just say, "Nope! No more thousands of anime fans allowed here bringing in all this business!"? Confused
I think they're smarter than that and so are we. If this was a reoccurring thing directly related to cons I'd might see it that way, but it's not. Anime cons aren't NAMBLA.
These two dopes would have ran off together for any reason. Traveling for anime cons could have been a scapegoat for all we know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
To some credit fortunately she wasn't snatched at a con.

But it still can be bad in the public image, regardless of how much business an annual con can bring in for a hotel. Cons happen once a year, hotels have to keep tourists coming all year (assuming of course a hotel hosts) and convention centers have to attract other venues all year round. If the image of a fan convention which is crazy enough with out this, they'll want to protect their image.

To some fortune (but not a lot) this has gotten relatively little media attention thanks to Caylee Anthony (now that Obama is prez they need someone else to be fixated on).
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:

Your thought process is ridiculous.

So, if a convicted murderer where only targeting anime cons, you would be upset with reporting that on ANN because it's just so happens to happen at cons.

Since you obviously missed the point of posting it here, I'll spell it out. THE. POLICE. NEED. HELP. FINDING. A. MISSING. GIRL. WHO. IS, TRAVELING. WITH, AN. OLDER. MAN. WHO. MAY. BE. SEXUALLY. ABUSING. HER. Did you get it that time?

Now, let me head over to Corner Store News Network and read your nonsensical rant there.

No matter how you slice it, it is still not anime news. And as a few pointed out, it only serves to tarnish the image of anime fans. If a criminal is targeting anime cons, that's another story. But that's not what happened, is it? The link to anime is tenuous, at best.

If this is a public service announcements, then treat it as such. And not disguised it as something it's not. And do spare me the sarcastic condescending attitude.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yet another black eye to anime, and anime fans. Unfortunatly, anime fans are already black listed by conservative Americans, who are to hypocritical, not to mention ethnocentristic to the idea of a lot of anime, and manga. And now to add fuel to all the anime haters out there this story comes along.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I did wonder what had happened to her. Perhaps they're already in Mexico; I certainly would try and flee the country if I were him.

Quote:
but he may shave his beard off

Quote:
NCMEC says that she may dye her blonde hair black

The bold is my doing.

Why do they persist with this? He is shown in the accompanying picture to be already beardless for crying out loud, and in the previous thread on this she was shown to have already dyed her hair black. Saying "may" is just ludicrous when you know it to be true. They should instead say "She was last seen with dyed black hair, and he is relatively clean-shaven though he may try to grow his beard back." That wasn't too hard now, was it?
braves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
Unfortunatly, anime fans are already black listed by conservative Americans, who are to hypocritical, not to mention ethnocentristic to the idea of a lot of anime, and manga.

Hmm, there is so much truth in this statement that I just can't stand it. Not to mention that playing the race card is always effective.

On the other hand, MSNBC did this little gem....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3