• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Taiwanese Murder Suspect Reportedly Blames Gunnm Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's interesting. I wonder if nationalism or scorn for Japan in general will come into play here.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess those Chinese that attacked Americans during the beijing olympics were all brainwashed by Japanese manga also.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I find the the suspect's excuse absolutely ludicrous. There is simply no complete connection here (and yes I've read all of Battle Angel Alita). If the Taiwanese government or people even think about creating hatred/biases towards anime and manga, they better get their heads straight. This guy is just trying to use an excuse because he is jobless in this economy like many people are and trying to simply find a way to live without "getting caught."
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE: One of the suspect's former co-worker posted some background info regarding his motive of murder. He had been living in above-average standards before the recent recession. A friend cheated NT$5M (about US$150K) from him and he had been in a bad mood ever since. After he lost his job a year ago he had told people around him about killing that ex-friend more than once.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, that's interesting. I wonder if nationalism or scorn for Japan in general will come into play here.

Animation, comics/manga, and video games (ACG) have long been the scapegoat.

Quoting ERA News:

Quote:
Newsroom announcer: The suspect said that he read a manga he liked just before committing the horrible crime. It would be too far-fetched to blame the manga.

(camera switched to a reporter at a bookstore near the crime scene)

Outdoor reporter: The suspected said he was influenced by manga... this manga, filled with violence, has not yet been labeled [with "restricted" sticker.]

Do they work in the same company? Rolling Eyes

Reminds me Bowling for Columbine; why was there no one blaming bowling for the shooting? After all it was the last thing they did before the shooting spree.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
This guy is just trying to use an excuse because he is jobless in this economy like many people are and trying to simply find a way to live without "getting caught."

The victim was quite rich and renowned in the local area; he owned several apartment complexes. The murder is more like an anti-rich crime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate actually how these people because they don't have jobs or they don't want to live anymore that they go out and kill other people to grab attention. Because that's basically what it is. Just sad.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
A friend cheated NT$5M (about US$150K) from him and he had been in a bad mood ever since. After he lost his job a year ago he had told people around him about killing that ex-friend more than once.

When you say cheated, do you mean the friend took money that at one point belonged to the killer? Or were they like both in the running for some sort of prize, and the friend got the money?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
UPDATE: One of the suspect's former co-worker posted some background info regarding his motive of murder. He had been living in above-average standards before the recent recession. A friend cheated NT$5M (about US$150K) from him and he had been in a bad mood ever since. After he lost his job a year ago he had told people around him about killing that ex-friend more than once.
Anyone else ever notice how people like this often don't go after that person they are actually supposedly angry with? If he'd gone to murder the friend his crime would at least make a little more sense. Instead, like you pointed out later in your post dormcat, it just seems like a class-warfare thing. (I guess anyone with more money than he had deserved to suffer huh? Great way to handle your own economic woes, murdering someone whose only crime was succeeding where this dip was failing.)

If I remember correctly, since you brought up the Columbine incident tangentally, few if any of the victims were the people who actually bullied Harris and Klebold.

It often seems to be less about getting revenge than just causing as much pain and suffering as possible and getting attention as fighterholic mentioned.

I was glad to see this part of the article:
Quote:
(Apple Daily and United Daily News inquired manga publishers and critics about the reported manga connection; both sources replied that no known manga had similar story line, speculating the suspect was trying to divert the attention.)
Nice to see some news organizations can actually take a moment to research the claim and consider the possibility that the suspect in a murder case might be LYING about his motives. (Being highly weak-minded is much more defensible than being a jealous bastard after all.)

Then again, it's easier to scapegoat some form of entertainment, especially if it's an acceptable target than to do deal with the reality that few people if any did a thing about a guy who clearly was a timebomb. It's less painful to say "the manga did it" than "we didn't stop him or save him from himself."

*Edited to clarify something.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"it had no such plot or any hidden message to promote criminal acts"

Confused

In other news, Kishimoto has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Naruto manga for his behavior of kidnapping 9 random pets and tied them all to explosives to "destroy a nation", Hiroya Oku has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Gantz manga for shooting dozens of innocent civilians so that they could all play laser tag later, and Hideaki Anno has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Evangelion series for his adopting 3 teenagers and submitting them to insane mental torture.

Seriously, why bother looking?! An apology is one thing, even if it's CLEARLY not your fault, it's the proper thing to do for the victims' families. But actually worrying that there might be villainous acts in your work that idiots could imitate? Of course there is! I'm pretty sure anytime an antagonist opens its mouth or does something there's "criminal acts being promoted" (if you actually want to call it that). But the author isn't at fault if certain readers lack common sense/morality.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I am so sick of video games (especially video games), anime/manga, other comics, other forms of entertainment being blamed for: poor parenting, lack of self control/personal responsibility, idiocy, etc.

Actually, I'm far more sick of people taking the blame for video games and anime/manga seriously than the act blaming them, it's like no one thinks that they're crying wolf on this (well, except the people who actually play/watch/read this stuff without going insane and then blaming them)

Sorry, this is just one of my biggest pet peeves.
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I am so sick of video games (especially video games), anime/manga, other comics, other forms of entertainment being blamed for: poor parenting, lack of self control/personal responsibility, idiocy, etc.

Actually, I'm far more sick of people taking the blame for video games and anime/manga seriously than the act blaming them, it's like no one thinks that they're crying wolf on this (well, except the people who actually play/watch/read this stuff without going insane and then blaming them)

Sorry, this is just one of my biggest pet peeves.

Grand theft auto made me do it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
dormcat wrote:
A friend cheated NT$5M (about US$150K) from him and he had been in a bad mood ever since. After he lost his job a year ago he had told people around him about killing that ex-friend more than once.

When you say cheated, do you mean the friend took money that at one point belonged to the killer?

That was what the suspect said after being arrested. We might never know the truth unless that "friend" comes forward.

Richard J. wrote:
Nice to see some news organizations can actually take a moment to research the claim and consider the possibility that the suspect in a murder case might be LYING about his motives.

Heh. I happen to know the two consultants (one of them is a very good friend of mine), as well as that reporter of United Daily News (who has been covering manga-related news for years). We've been "educating" mainstream media not to make their own conclusions on things they don't understand.

On the other hand, it is partly due to the dwindling economy that makes otaku-related entertainments more "respected" by the mainstream than before, as the so-called "otaku economy" is relatively less influenced by the recent financial recession. Business conferences discussing how to extract more money from otakus are held every other week, teaching those entrepreneurs in Giorgio Armani suits about moe and whatnot (shrug).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
i hate when people blame other thing for what they did. i miss the good old days when u didn't blame tv or games
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, if a guy went on a rampage killing a random landlord because an 'ex friend' or whatever cheated him out of 150 dollars, And then blamed it on a random Manga? I wouldn't believe him. Argh.

That doesn't even make any sense, well...granted murder isn't exactly sense-making stuff, but still. Sheesh.

At least admit the fact that you were ticked off over a stupid reason, and not try to blame it on something else.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
"It was the robots, I tells ya! They made me do it! 'Dem robots are everywhere!"

Rolling Eyes
Mikuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
i hate when people blame other thing for what they did. i miss the good old days when u didn't blame tv or games

Strangely enough, people used to blame BOOKS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3