• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office [2004-12-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Sorry, but I have to say this about Howl's: OWNED!!!

Howl's wasn't owned by Ocean's 12. It should go without saying that almost every week Howl would make less than the previous week, and that eventually that ammount would fall below the average ammount made by other movies on opening week.

If it hasn't been Ocean's 12, another movie would have dethroned Howl's. Being Ocean's 12 however, it just got there sooner than other lesser films would have.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that Howl will be above Ocean 's 12 next week. :-p

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
I sort of agree with Tempest. Harry Potter's the only real competition for Miyazaki, at least until Return of the Sith, unless the Japanese are getting tired of that franchise as much as us.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like "Ocean's Twelve" that much. The laser beem sequence was pretty cool though. It'll be interesting to see if it'll manage to stay on top next week.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the Incredibles insn't no. 1. I guess it came out a while ago. But I'm not too surprised that it's not doing as well as Spirited Away. I don't think anything will top Spirited Away any time soon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I lost that bet.

-t
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
So, Prince of Tennis opened sixth, and Inuyasha 4 did as well (but someone said it was a dismal opening, which I can see), but I seem to remember Naruto opening at number one.

So, my question is: Is there an easy way to tell how well a movie based on a series did based on these numbers? Also, how well do films based on series tend to do and what would be an example of a good box office showing (excluding Naruto).
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Inuyasha 4 is doing? It stayed in the top 10 for maybe 3 weeks, which isn't a good sign. If it proves unprofitable, there's no chance of the anime being continued....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Romuksa: The Japanese aren't big fans of American superhero comics-with occasional exceptions like Spiderman and maybe X-Men-so I wouldn't be surprised that a parody/tribute would do just as poorly.

tempest: Face it. Now that Brad's single, the Japanese hotties-and I guess some bishonen =p-want him. P.S. It's Joel Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera, based on the Weber musical.

GoodLuck: Shueisha wins either way on Inuyasha and POT. Anyway, I think they were hoping that what worked with Gundam Wing and Weiss Kruzz would work with POT, but they ended up alienating chicks who are into tennis.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
tempest wrote:

I lost that bet.

-t

Don't feel too bad. Who would've thought that "A Phantom of the Opera" would open at #2? Still, I think it's very likely that "How's Moving Castle" will stay in top 10 longer than "Ocean's Twelve".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3