• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII's Denzel Novel Confirmed to Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat Megex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
The set also has a book that has a translation of two of the "On the Way to a Smile" stories.

No, it has all three of the stories currently out (i.e. Barret's, Tifa's, and Denzel's).
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Remember the days when each Final Fantasy only got ONE game per number? I sure miss those days. Now they're tacking more unnecessary retcons and screwy plot elements to their games just because they can milk the cow till the teets fall right off. I seriously think FF as a whole has gone way downhill since they put that punk Nomura in charge, so I'm eyeing XIII with a bit of trepidation, to be honest.

Um... Yoichi Wada is in charge, not Tetsuya Nomura. But you probably didn't bother to check that. Why do that when you can just spout the same crap that everyone else is saying?

Anyway, it's a basic case of supply and demand. If people keep buying their spinoffs, they'll keep making them. I, for one, am glad to oblige them in this, because THEY KEEP MAKING QUALITY PRODUCTS. If I were eying two rpgs that I knew nothing about, and one of them had the "Square-Enix" brand, whereas the other had the "Bandai-Namco" brand, I would buy the SE one four out of five times.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
^this. Square really needs to move on and spend more time on improving the future FF franchise. We all know X-2, XI and XII sucked. With the XIII next in line, it will either spell a death sentence for the franchise or be absolutely fantastic. I am currently leaning to former unfortunately. Not really impressed with XII so far since it looks TOO much like XII. XIII versus is still okay, but we haven't heard anything about that for a while now.

Since ANN is more "civil" I won't use the typical term here...bandwagon will do just fine, but basically yeah. X-2 was a heck of a lot of fun despite a sketchy-at-best story, XI I won't give the time of day since I don't want to pay for it, and XII was incredible.

And btw, I'm still a fan who's favorite is FFVII. But you're clinging to that VI/VII style of gameplay like other fans and expecting every FF to be the same. FF games are not sequels, they are all separate games and thus should be expected to have different gameplay. Failures are more like "VIII" than any of the other games on your list.
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can barely get your continuity straight as it is without Sakaguchi (who by the way WROTE the piece that you're grinding into the ground).

Kazushige Nojima wrote the original game, so he's actually the most suitable person to handle any sequel/spin-off. There's a reason why they keep contracting him to write or supervise scripts (whether he's doing a good job or not is another matter) even though he left the company years ago.

Sakaguchi created the original concept (a detective story in decrepit New York), which was almost completely rewritten by Nojima and Yoshinori Kitase. Where the final world, story, and characters are concerned, he's no authority.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Remember the days when each Final Fantasy only got ONE game per number? I sure miss those days. Now they're tacking more unnecessary retcons and screwy plot elements to their games just because they can milk the cow till the teets fall right off. I seriously think FF as a whole has gone way downhill since they put that punk Nomura in charge, so I'm eyeing XIII with a bit of trepidation, to be honest.

Um... Yoichi Wada is in charge, not Tetsuya Nomura. But you probably didn't bother to check that. Why do that when you can just spout the same crap that everyone else is saying?

Anyway, it's a basic case of supply and demand. If people keep buying their spinoffs, they'll keep making them. I, for one, am glad to oblige them in this, because THEY KEEP MAKING QUALITY PRODUCTS. If I were eying two rpgs that I knew nothing about, and one of them had the "Square-Enix" brand, whereas the other had the "Bandai-Namco" brand, I would buy the SE one four out of five times.

Hey, no need to condescend. That's happening a lot around here lately... =/
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Square, please... please... PLEASE! stop beating with a stick the dead horse that is Final Fantasy VII. You can barely get your continuity straight as it is without Sakaguchi (who by the way WROTE the piece that you're grinding into the ground). Show some respect for the dead, why don't you (by dead, I mean FF7)!

This, dear god, this. It's not even a good setting to keep basing things off of. Even FFVIII would be better, perhaps showing the origin of the gardens, Ultimecia in the past, etc. But ideally?

More Ivalice, please. Hands down it's the richest setting Square's created, and I'd love love love to keep seeing more of it. FFTA-2 and Revenant Wings were delicious, but I'd kill for another console experience. Better yet, that rumored Ivalice MMO.

LiuXuande wrote:

Since ANN is more "civil" I won't use the typical term here...bandwagon will do just fine, but basically yeah. X-2 was a heck of a lot of fun despite a sketchy-at-best story, XI I won't give the time of day since I don't want to pay for it, and XII was incredible.

So true. FFX-2 was great lighthearted fun, and brought back a lot of the humor from older games like FFV that was sorely lacking in most recent games. XII was absolutely amazing, probably one of my favorite games in the series, if not on the console in general. FFXI is great too, for what little I played. The grind is insane, but the atmosphere is almost second to none and it's a huge world. I'd love to see more of Vana'diel.

BleuVII wrote:
and one of them had the "Square-Enix" brand, whereas the other had the "Bandai-Namco" brand, I would buy the SE one four out of five times.

That's kind of disappointing. I'm a complete Squeenix fangirl, but even I'm not that blind. One just needs to look at the quality and critical reception of Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata over Squeenix's Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant. Hmm...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Gygner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Denzel is Ecclair's grappy.
(Grandpaw)
Would give a good reason for Lightning being so much like Cloud, Denzel looks up to Cloud. BD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2