• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The During Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Unit: Well, I did mention what I'd rather see on the Wii, so...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for Mad World. I'm desperately holding onto the idea that it was worth buying a Wii. After playing though 2 mild disappointments, 3 ought right failures, 4 ports and NOT Pikmin 3, that's getting tough to believe. There is hope on the horizon though. I'm mildly enjoying House of the Dead: Overkill at the moment and Mad World looks just awesome. Like a mix of Gears of War and Sin City. I just hope the actual gameplay isn't too bland or repetitive. If they manage to avoid that pitfall it looks like it could just be the single greatest thing evar.

I'm feeling paranoid about RE5 though. I played the demo and found the controls just a tiny bit sloppy. Maybe I'm just becoming paranoid after so many big name sequels flopped but I'm getting worried that it won't live up to RE4's standard. I'm also experiencing a recurring nightmare where I go to EB games to buy it and then I'm ambushed by a pack of zombies. All the zombies are African-American though, so while I eliminate them with ease thanks to the elite zombie fighting skills I have acquired over the years, I am subsequently accused of racism by rest of the mall patrons and shunned from the Surrey Central Shopping Complex for ever. Oh the shame...
Dahling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
I'm not a gamer myself so, while I do enjoy reading the column, I hardly ever comment.

But that post right above mine, by ikillchicken? That was funny. And so I am posting. =D I think I need to sleep.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
BTW, a good Shirow game is the PS1 Ghost in the Shell. Very well done, considering that the FPS isn't that popular in Japan.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Is it legal to post your response to Todd, or are they supposed to be kept private until after next week?
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
No, seriously. Buy Retro Game Challenge right now. You will not regret this choice you have made.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
It still baffles me how some game designers can take fun IPs like Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell and turn them into terrible/boring games. Really now?

Why can't these producers just cherry-pick some of the great ideas that came out of games like Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, Fallout, Gears of War and Devil may Cry?

I must be missing your point terribly, because the Appleseed video game came out in 1994, while Fallout came out in 1997, Metal Gear Solid in 1998, Devil May Cry in 2001, Gears of War in 2006, and Mass Effect in 2007. Absent time-travel, it would be hard for the producers of the former to cherry-pick ideas from the latter.

Unless what you are saying is that it's unfair to compare games from 1994 to games from the 21st century. But "irony is lost on the internet".
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm going to be the only one here thrilled that Starfy is finally coming to the U.S.! Smile

Is there a date set for release, or is that still up in the air at this point?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I would also ask all professional writers out there to avoid entering in the interest of fairness, but I'm not about to background-check every name I see. You're on your honor there.

Well that's kind of lame. Glad I'm not interested in Prinny. xD

Also, this month is kind of annoying in general. Anime dazed There's too much coming out! Between Avalon Code, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden, Phantasy Star Portable, Mana Khemia, Pokemon Platinum, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2, and still more...Have mercy, publishers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Subatomic Brainfreeze wrote:
No, seriously. Buy Retro Game Challenge right now. You will not regret this choice you have made.

This is absolutely true. If you've ever had an interest in retro games or have any nostalgia from the time, play Retro Game Challenge. It's like a dream come true (for someone into retro games).
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I already have Avalon Code pre-ordered and fully paid. Matrix Software's one of the few developers able to push DS hardware in all the right places, and while Phantasy Star Zero might already be prettier, this game still looks impressive from a presentation standpoint.

I would get MadWorld if only I had a Wii, seeing as it comes from ex-Clover people.

I've got to see some early playthroughs of RE5 (not telling where), but it's safe to say there will be that constant "Sheva!" "Roger!" "Sheva!" "Okay!" "Sheva!" "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!" shouting between two characters...

Also: What? Why no A Boy and His Blob remake for Wii news Todd?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see the point of porting Mana Khemia to the PSP, unless you live in a town that doesn't have any more copies of the PS2 version and your parents don't let you use Amazon.com to buy stuff. Personally I'm looking forward to the second Mana Khemia game since Ar tonelico 2 was kind of a letdown.

An Appleseed game. From now on, I promise not to be surprised at old anime becoming games on whatever system. I should expect this since it was how Japan worked its cash cows. The section on the game reminded me the old OVA was aired on Sci-fi a few weeks back. But you're saying Appleseed never lived up to its potential? Huh, I don't understand.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
it's safe to say there will be that constant "Sheva!" "Roger!" "Sheva!" "Okay!" "Sheva!" "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!" shouting between two characters...

...Anime hyper Win, my good man. Win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I must be missing your point terribly, because the Appleseed video game came out in 1994, while Fallout came out in 1997, Metal Gear Solid in 1998, Devil May Cry in 2001, Gears of War in 2006, and Mass Effect in 2007.

Two Appleseed films came out in 2004 and 2007, respectively, giving the property renewed interest. If someone in Japan (or the US) had the wherewithal, they could've produced an ass-kicking game to take advantage of that interest. A fun game that could ape from all the games you and I listed. One that could make up for the previous and rather lackluster entry.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, I also forgot about Starfy. I guess the delay was caused by executive confusion as to whether or not to stick to Stafy(based on the romanization of the katakana) or Starfy(based on one of the creators will). I guess the latter prevailed due to TOSE's original intention. Shows you that purists aren't always right and can suck an egg on such translation issues.

Speaking of eggs and purists, apparently the new A Boy and His Blob isn't a remake but an adaptation (or at least inspired by the original). Knowing WayForward, this is probably for the best. Not to mention the stunning animation they have endowed this game with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3