• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
funny how the lion share of posts are about how fansubs kill sales while ignoring the very clear message that the industry has been screwing the workhorses who do the majority of the animating.

While I agree with you that streaming needs to be a viable media and it would be nice if the industry was profitable enough so that directors/animators could make a decent wage and the series that they want to make. However that is the industry problem, something as fans we could prove that stream media works by watching it and supporting the shows we like. However the fansub side is something that we as fans can do something about.

So while yes fansubs are not the only issue facing the industry, it is the one that we can directly do something about.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
And the fact is nobody will go and buy every single licensed anime/manga after one had seen it in fansubs/scanslations.

Yo. *waves hand*
HI~~! Very Happy

OK, so not a majority of those who will go and buy every single licensed anime/manga, after they had seen it in fansubs/scanslations. I'll admit that there are special cases, but that's a relatively niche group of fans out there. And quite frankly, I'm not one of them. Because whatever incentive I had in the beginning for collecting some anime series were killed off due to illegal fansubs, when illegal fansubs saturated the anime media market even before the anime industry could.
dragoneyes001 wrote:
literally cut out the middlemen who have been lining their pockets at the cost of the artists who actually deserve the the profits companies like funimation and ADV ...etc... who buy up the licenses and pretty much leave the artists in the dust if the anime does sell big are doing the industry far more harm by making it so unprofitable to be an animator people are leaving the industry the very people who create their profit which is why I personally wouldn't care if they ended up getting cut right out of the loop by the animators.
Would it be too much to ask of you to use proper English grammar, thereby not having your post being a big run-on sentence that's meaningless and hard to read? English was not my first language, but I'm still making the effort to have people understanding me.

And if you don't like the R1 licensees, then you can go ahead and import R2 anime medias at twice the R1 anime media cost, while they contain half as many contents with zero localization. And good luck trying to make anime subculture popular with that method.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

samuelp, every postyou've made about people who watch fansubs , had this one simple fact that you tend to ignored, and that is they are stealing intellectual properties owned by a dying industry that aren't free, but are paid to air only on Japanese TV networks with advertising revenues from Japanese companies. So unless you can come up with a good defense for that accusation, everything you've said are just whines and complains with condescending undertones that's making you sound like an elitist.

The great majority of late night anime actually is pay-to-play, i.e. the anime production companies have to PAY the TV station to air the show on TV, not the other way around. Furthermore the advertising revenue (if there is any) goes straight to the TV station, not the anime production group. And what is abundantly clear here is that people who equate "breaking copyright law" to "morally corrupt behavior" are not helping the industry survive.

So...
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The great majority of late night anime actually is pay-to-play, i.e. the anime production companies have to PAY the TV station to air the show on TV, not the other way around. Furthermore the advertising revenue (if there is any) goes straight to the TV station, not the anime production group. And what is abundantly clear here is that people who equate "breaking copyright law" to "morally corrupt behavior" are not helping the industry survive.

So...
Aren't Japanese anime industry themselves Japanese companies? Aren't they paying the pay-to-play TV station to only air their anime as advertisements for the related anime medias, using their own ad revenues? And anime fans with a better moral sense are not just supporting the anime industry with their contributions on legally owned anime medias, but they're also not the ones that are stealing from the anime industry.

So what, elitist?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
samuelp wrote:

So...
Aren't Japanese anime industry themselves Japanese companies? Aren't they paying the pay-to-play TV station to only air their anime as advertisements for the related anime medias, using their own ad revenues? And anime fans with a better moral sense are not just supporting the anime industry with their contributions on legally owned anime medias, but they're also not the ones that are stealing from the anime industry.

So what, elitist?

I just don't see how you can call the 1000s of otaku in Japan who only buy ~5% of the shows they watch fans, while calling the 1000s of fansub watchers around the world who only buy ~5% of what they watch thieves and villians, when the only difference is a violation of international copyright law.

I know that I personally don't watch fansubs anymore, but the only anime I've been buying this past year has been Macross F on Blu-ray, despite having watched 10-12 anime series on TV last year. So I guess that makes me a true fan, just because what I'm doing is completely legal?

If the TV broadcasts are truly just advertisement for the merch/DVDs, then what company wouldn't want those advertisements aired to the largest possible audience?
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
The point is that fansubs don't take money away from pay-to-play media. That media has always had to earn it's revenue in other ways (DVD sales, etc.). Fansub is a distribution method that costs the industry nothing, so if anything this could be considered helpful to the industry, provided that the people watching it are actually buying DVDs. They don't have to pay to play fansubs.

The moral problem is people not buying DVDs or attempting to support what they like. The idea that copyright infringement = stealing is inane, particularly when it comes to pay to play media. Even if I were watching on TV if I really like what I'm seeing and don't support it I'm doing the wrong thing. I believe the same is true of those people who buy used, etc. If it's not supporting the industry it's not supporting what they value and it's useless money spent.

As far as your "fact" posts where you reference losses in the industry, I want you to prove with real sales numbers that shows that are fansubbed perform worse than those which do not. Fansubs existed in the peak period of 2006. Why are they "suddenly" having effect years after they came about? Is your point that more people who were previously buying aren't now because of fansubs? Can you prove this with numbers or statistics? Can you prove there are no other contributing factors?

LordRedhand wrote:

So while yes fansubs are not the only issue facing the industry, it is the one that we can directly do something about.

Oh and what's that you are doing? Not download them yourself because as soon as you touch them you must never actually buy the anime you watch?

There is no magic that creates a loss when you copy illegally. It's only a loss if you choose not to buy, and that's no different whether you are watching it free on TV or free on internet streaming or by downloading a fansub.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I just don't see how you can call the 1000s of otaku in Japan who only buy ~5% of the shows they watch fans, while calling the 1000s of fansub watchers around the world who only buy ~5% of what they watch thieves and villians, when the only difference is a violation of international copyright law.

I know that I personally don't watch fansubs anymore, but the only anime I've been buying this past year has been Macross F on Blu-ray, despite having watched 10-12 anime series on TV last year. So I guess that makes me a true fan, just because what I'm doing is completely legal?

If the TV broadcasts are truly just advertisement for the merch/DVDs, then what company wouldn't want those advertisements aired to the largest possible audience?
You are a true anime fan when you're doing everything you can to support the anime industry legally in your country of Japan, yes. Because those 10 - 12 anime series that you watched with your Japanese TV networks subscription, were only licensed to release on domestic Japanese TV networks.

The international copyright law granted the original creators the sole rights to do whatever they want with their intellectual properties, while at the same time requested the people within the jurisdiction to respect the copyright holders with their decisions on what to do with their properties. So technically when you committed copyright infringement on a copyrighted intellectual property, you're basically disrespecting the original creators' rights as individuals. And that's even before you've found guilty by your local authority.

And when intellectual properties are being illegally released and distributed amass, and by doing so violate the original creators' rights. That's not advertising, that's just wrong.
Xanas wrote:
As far as your "fact" posts where you reference losses in the industry, I want you to prove with real sales numbers that shows that are fansubbed perform worse than those which do not. Fansubs existed in the peak period of 2006. Why are they "suddenly" having effect years after they came about? Is your point that more people who were previously buying aren't now because of fansubs? Can you prove this with numbers or statistics? Can you prove there are no other contributing factors?
WRONG! Fansubs existed even before I stopped VHS-fansubbing, and that was 13 if not 14 years ago! Start telling the truth like it is, or else don't even say anything when you can't even back it up with facts, just because you're either too lazy to do so, or simply because you can't!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
The point is that fansubs don't take money away from pay-to-play media. That media has always had to earn it's revenue in other ways (DVD sales, etc.). Fansub is a distribution method that costs the industry nothing, so if anything this could be considered helpful to the industry, provided that the people watching it are actually buying DVDs. They don't have to pay to play fansubs.

I would say not really, the cost involved with anime through fansubs is there, and that's just from basic economic theory, nothing is free. So the cost is coming from the fact that others are using it as a replacement for legal releases the world over, such that some distributors will look at a title and not see a way to make a profit from it. Therefore fansubs now are doing the opposite of which they intend, potentially preventing a series from coming into the market.

Xanas wrote:

The moral problem is people not buying DVDs or attempting to support what they like. The idea that copyright infringement = stealing is inane, particularly when it comes to pay to play media. Even if I were watching on TV if I really like what I'm seeing and don't support it I'm doing the wrong thing. I believe the same is true of those people who buy used, etc. If it's not supporting the industry it's not supporting what they value and it's useless money spent.

While yes they are doing something wrong, they are distributing something that they do not have a right to distribute is a form of theft. As to watching something on TV it does show the station that it is something to continue, a fansub however doesn't inspire a business to continue a series, like Case Closed, they make fansubs of it but it doesn't help it come out or release faster.

Xanas wrote:

Well to start look at what Best Buy is doing for a start, if anime were selling well that wouldn't be happening. As to actual sales numbers, Zac has mentioned that MoHS "being okay, not a huge success as the fans clamoring and making demands for it were saying it would be.", you can also ask at Best Buy, FYE, Suncoast Videos for some of the sales numbers that your asking for. The reason why you don't see the sales numbers public is because that is business data, something that is used to make business decisions, surely you wouldn't want competitors to know how your doing sales wise or what your planning. So it's strange to ask for such an transparency that, really no other industry has.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

You are a true anime fan when you're doing everything you can to support the anime industry legally in your country of Japan, yes. Because those 10 - 12 anime series that you watched with your Japanese TV networks subscription, were only licensed to release on domestic Japanese TV networks.

The international copyright law granted the original creators the sole rights to do whatever they want with their intellectual properties, while at the same time requested the people within the jurisdiction to respect the copyright holders with their decisions on what to do with their properties. So technically when you committed copyright infringement on a copyrighted intellectual property, you're basically disrespecting the original creators' rights as individuals. And that's even before you've found guilty by your local authority.

And when intellectual properties are being illegally released and distributed amass, and by doing so violate the original creators' rights. That's not advertising, that's just wrong.

However how do you define "The original creators'"?

As the article states itself, the actual animators, directors, producers, and animation production companies do NOT own any of the copyright to the shows they create. Instead the copyrights are dolled out to the companies who fronted the cash for production, i.e. the sponsers. So the whole concept of "intellectual property", i.e. that you own something you create, is turned on its head in this situation, because the people who actually create the content give up their intellectual rights from the very beginning.
The companies whose rights are being violated do not create anime, they simply fund it.
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

As the article states itself, the actual animators, directors, producers, and animation production companies do NOT own any of the copyright to the shows they create. Instead the copyrights are dolled out to the companies who fronted the cash for production, i.e. the sponsers. So the whole concept of "intellectual property", i.e. that you own something you create, is turned on its head in this situation, because the people who actually create the content give up their intellectual rights from the very beginning.
The companies whose rights are being violated do not create anime, they simply fund it.

While this is often correct, it does vary from show to show. In some cases, the animation studio (or even small groups of creative staff, who've formed their own company) is a member of the production committee, which means that it shares copyrights with partner sponsors.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

WRONG! The actual animators, directors, producers, and the rest of the animation production company own the intellectual property which is the anime that they've made collectively as a group. You're mistaking copyrights with licensing. Because otherwise, by your logic, the copyright of Macross Frontier would've belong to Shoji Kawamori, and not Satelight, the anime studio that produced Macross Frontier which Mr. Kawamori helped co-funded in 1995.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
samuelp wrote:

WRONG! The actual animators, directors, producers, and the rest of the animation production company own the intellectual property which is the anime that they've made collectively as a group. You're mistaking copyrights with licensing. Because otherwise, by your logic, the copyright of Macross Frontier would've belong to Shoji Kawamori, and not Satelight, the anime studio that produced Macross Frontier which Mr. Kawamori helped co-funded in 1995.

Sorry, but you are really just wrong about this.
The rights, both intellectual and copyrights, for Macross F in Japan are controlled by

Big West
Macross F Production Committee
MBS

with the main one being the "Macross F Production Committee". This is, like most anime, a fake holding company for all the interests that fronted the money for production. Satellite does NOT have any intellectual property rights to Macross F, nor does its founder.

Basically the music rights are held by Big West, the broadcast rights by MBS, and the rights to everything else, intellectual property rights, copyrights, DVD/Blu-ray distribution rights, are all controlled by the "Macross F Production Committee", which is exactly as I stated, a collection of sponsers.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow ... so many things to say.

Fansubs are A problem. Can't really argue with that. How do we solve this problem? The answer HAS to be going after the actual people who DO THE SUBBING!!! Seriously. It cannot be that hard to find out who these folks are. And while they are possibly poor 40 year olds living in their parents' basements, lawsuits would send a strong message, and maybe help to stop this problem.

I mean, seriously - you can't realistically expect anime fans to stop taking what's easily available. Here is my metaphor:

I really really really want a chocolate bar. So I go to the store to buy one. They either don't have any that I want or I think they are way too expensive. So I leave. Standing outside is someone handing me a chocolate bar that I want for free (or someone telling me where to go get one for free). What the hell am I gonna do? That's right. You know the answer. I'm certainly not going to stop and think "Hmmm ... no. I really want to support this store and the people who made the chocolate bar, so I'll wait weeks, months, or years until they have what I want or it is cheaper."

Come on.

Now, I am against fansubs ... I support licensed products and I spend money on anime, but this logic makes sense. Even I have been guilty of watching fansubs (and even of licensed shows at times). I know it's wrong, and I feel bad (so I buy more stuff! lol) ... but it's hard to resist when it's SO easy to find and get and it's FREE. And there are no consequences. They must go after the fansubbers themselves. If this stuff isn't available, people won't be watching it. And it WILL make some people actually go and spend money on anime to watch it.

It just makes my blood boil when I see a funimation trailer on youtube and all the comments are "This looks awesome - I'm gonna go download it!!" Wut? Evil or Very Mad

I also think the excuse of "I want to try it before I buy it" is b.s. ... cold buying stuff is the best Very Happy
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:

While this is often correct, it does vary from show to show. In some cases, the animation studio (or even small groups of creative staff, who've formed their own company) is a member of the production committee, which means that it shares copyrights with partner sponsors.

I'm just going to post this again with the little debate you 2 are having, who can say if a portion of staff are part of the holding company that is Macross F Production Committee that the studio or creator doesn't have a stake in that company.,
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think comparing petty shoplifting to downloading intellectual property isn't a good comparison, even more so when it's a food product. Here's a big reason why people continue to download even with threats of lawsuit or internet being shut off: because you don't see immediate reaction against it. If I try to steal a DVD from a store, I have a high chance of getting caught. It might not mean prosecution, but the store might ban me. Downloading a movie means maybe someone's looking at IP addresses, but there's no feasible way to track-down and prosecute everyone. The more realistic solution they take is to bitch to the ISP to give up personal information, but the ISP obviously don't want to sell out a customer (unless they Comcast). Anime companies don't have the money to do lawsuit battles, so the most they can do is ask fansubbers to take down their files, which is probably the better route in the end to not produce backlash. Yes you can argue the people who download have no reason to complain since they were stealing in the first place, but that's not a real world thought.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12