• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knowledge Backround of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is Your Knowledge Background
Mathematics
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Physical Sciences
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Biological Sciences
15%
 15%  [ 19 ]
Engineering
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Information Sciences
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
Social Sciences
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
Law
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Finance
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Humanities
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Fine Arts
10%
 10%  [ 12 ]
Performing Arts
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Applied Arts
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Technical Work
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Craft Work
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 119

Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
High school education major, political science and history double minor, so social sciences ftw!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The way I see it, chemistry is closer to biology than physics, and physics is closer to maths and farther from chemistry.

The way my college degree sees it, chemistry is Physical Science. The degree also required a significant level of math.

The tricky part of the survey for me is that my background is about to also include finance, but I haven't started that program yet, so my vote went to PS.
ZombieBunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
For the others who chose Biological Sciences, what particular concentration do you specialize in (or had training in)? Any other naturalists, environmentalists or ecological conservation types?

Anyone agree that's an interesting or unlikely field for an anime fan to be in?

I graduated with a B.S. in biology, Chemisty, and Psychology. I did research on genetics (plant and animal) and actually violence and video games. I love botany (it's a passion chemically/biologically, and I love the psychology of flowers [meanings etc]).

I'm currently in medical school.... it's insane.... and I don't want to study right now (thus my posting).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
ZombieBunny wrote:
and I don't want to study right now (thus my posting).

I knooow the feeling! Anime dazed Anime cry Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I currently have a Diploma in Financial services (Accounting), hopefully soon to be a, Advanced Diploma, so I guess that means I have a Finance knowledge background. Not that I am good with my own money. Mostly chose it out of a fairly good proficency with maths, I hate the law part of it though.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Academic background: BA in History, BFA in Studio Art, MA in Humanities.
Work Background: Sales, Art, Education, and some IT.

I chose Fine Arts as that is what I most identify with even though regular work has often been outside my preferred interests. I see myself as a creative type and a problem solver and this what people usually approach me for.
Jon182

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
My B.A. is in Political Science, or social science, if you prefer. One of the most useless degrees (not including basket weaving) unless you're going into government, law or academia.

I'm thinking of going back to school and getting a degree in TESOL, or some sort of trade certification. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some practical use for all my education dollars.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I have a Bachelor of Journalism, Honours, which I guess puts me in either the social sciences or other category. Years after getting my university degree, I got a certificate from the Canadian Film Centre after completing the Writer's Lab and Professional Screenwriting Programme (yeah, that's how they spell it) there. My current job is director of development for a film and television production company, so that puts me pretty solidly in the performing arts category, I suppose.

Ladies, the casting couch is ready for action.

*cheesy grin*
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
My skill set includes Biology, Anatomy, psychology, computer hardware certification, data entry and management, web page development, martial-arts, and good old fashioned heavy physical labor which is my current paycheck. Next year I'm going back to college for Certified Nursing Assistant though.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
im studying chemistry and biology in highschool, and am aiming to become a biochemist
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
All anime fans are nerds-->all nerds are smart-->all nerds want to be doctors-->we're all gonna be rich and afford all the anime in the future Razz
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I chose Mathematics as I am an accountant annoyingly I didn't pay much attention until it was to late and realised that Finance was smack bang in the middle...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I had graduated college with a B.A. in Liberal Arts. For the most part thanks to the courses I took, I'm well-rounded in a number of areas such as computers, writing, journalism and history.

My computer knowledge is quite diverse (despite the college I graduated from not offering any computer majors) as I've tinkered with things thanks to either college courses, personal research or hands-on experience. My main areas of knowledge include database entry/ maintenance, computer maintenance/ repair, software installation/ maintenance, video and image editing and web page design (mostly HTML). I've applied such knowledge to be my family's resident computer expert and helping out at some of the non-profits I volunteered for while I was unemployed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
I am a graduate student of a social science.

Ambimunch wrote:
All anime fans are nerds-->all nerds are smart-->all nerds want to be doctors-->we're all gonna be rich and afford all the anime in the future Razz

I think that the relation "anime fan ---> nerd" applies mostly in the west, because there is a fact that, by definition, any fan of a nonmainstream artform is a nerd. Very Happy An American who is a fan of 1950's Indian movies is also a nerd.

People who tend to seek wider forms of art than the popular stuff are generally smart, thus nerds tend to be smart. In Japan, where the majority of the population between 15 and 30 watches anime, the nerds are the hardcore anime fans who spend money purchasing the TV series they can watch on TV for free. Though, the term nerd can also mean an obsession with a element of mainstream culture.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I put biology since I'm now learning anthro and psychology. I didn't put 'social sciences' cause I hate the term, as it is insane to reckon such things separately from biology and all of the natural sciences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5